Jacobs article is up | The Boneyard

Jacobs article is up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good points...interesting one about how we'd probably be in if Teggert had missed that kick at USF'. Somebody please post.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't have to read it to guess his point. Yes, silly Dave Teggart making a kick, I'm sure that all sorts of Eastern schools with an airport that needs two connections to Phoenix would have sent tens of thousands to see an 8-5 team predictably get destroyed.

Reaction Score
Yet I also cannot get over the feeling that if Dave Teggart missed that field goal in South Florida in 2010, UConn would have been in a better place. No sooner had he made it than the national media went on a rampage of what a joke it was UConn got into a BCS game. When the Huskies got whacked by Oklahoma, it was printed and framed for posterity. UConn went from the young program on the rise to the poster child for BCS injustices.

http://www.courant.com/sports/other/hc-jacobs-column-1129-20121128,0,441386.column

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He makes a better point than I expected. What should have been anti Big East sentiment became anti UConn sentiment. Don't think it's that simple but an interesting thought.

Reaction Score
You know the orange bowl is a lot more accessible than the fiesta bowl for east coasters it's not even a fair comparison. Plane fix were in excess of 700 each for that game from Tampa. I'm not saying we would have sold all our fix but I think we would have done much better. This was probably already discussed but didn't think orange vs fiesta a fair comparison

Reaction Score
I don't have to read it to guess his point. Yes, silly Dave Teggart making a kick, I'm sure that all sorts of Eastern schools with an airport that needs two connections to Phoenix would have sent tens of thousands to see an 8-5 team predictably get destroyed.
Nope...more the score and media complaining about UConn in a BCS game. Has been all down hill from then.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Nope...more the score and media complaining about UConn in a BCS game. Has been all down hill from then.

Yep I guessed wrong. I was wrong - see not that hard to type when proven wrong.

Reaction Score
This quote:

"What hurts here is perception. When Maryland bolted for the Big Ten, national media immediately made UConn the favorite, and Jurich said UConn was "penned in." UConn sources, however, said Louisville and UConn were co-favorites from the start with Cincinnati third. Unlike Herbst and Manuel, who went to the Virgin Islands with UConn basketball, and Ramsey who went to the Bahamas with Rick Pitino's team, Jurich stayed back in Louisville burning up the phone lines. Clearly his intense lobbying paid off."

Shoot me.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You know the orange bowl is a lot more accessible than the fiesta bowl for east coasters it's not even a fair comparison. Plane fix were in excess of 700 each for that game from Tampa. I'm not saying we would have sold all our fix but I think we would have done much better. This was probably already discussed but didn't think orange vs fiesta a fair comparison

Yes, the process was stupid, but the little trick of the Fiesta Bowl tying their tickets to the NC game creates a situation that makes UConn look bad.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Makes a lot of good points. Interesting to hear his insider perspective on the efforts that SH and WM made though. Doesn't he kind of contradict himself after saying that Jurich stayed and worked the phones? So which was it?

Regardless, Herbst said it right. This is a perceptual problem and UConn hasn't done nearly enough to change the perception. Marketing and PR fail.

Reaction Score
people don't realize that Oklahoma could have rolled half the top 25 teams that year like that

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
What? No comments at all about the glorious ad linked on the page to "Memorable Whalers Mustaches"?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I am not a fan of Jacobs--far from it--and I usually won't even read him in the past few years unless an article is posted and gains some traction here. But this was a pretty good piece.

Two things about all of this remain hard for me to accept, in terms of what we did about it:

1. Herbst clearly believed we were in this time, and she was wrong. I want to know how that happened. Was she lied to? Did she grossly misread the situation? It is inconsistent to believe her urging that it was out of our control on one hand, while reading about how Louisville outworked us to win the invite on the other. No, it's not an orderly process. It's one governed by back channels, and it's her job to know what channels to work. I want to have faith in her and I like so much about what I have read, seen and observed about her; but I have lost a lot of faith after seeing her actions and her subsequent explanations here. I will have a hard time believing anything she says until this is explained.

2. Manuel is out of his depth here. He has not done or said a single thing in his time here to inspire an ounce of confidence that he is up to this job. Yes, he inherited a tough situation, but he was supposed to do something about it more than monitoring the death spiral and act like it's not happening.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
This piece should be REQUIRED duck*ING READING for all boneyarders. Read the WHOLE THING. It dispells a lot of myths.

Reaction Score
It's a good article. It very well may be the case that, over the last few weeks, everything that could have been done by UConn was done, and the final outcome was not within our control. But if I were Jacobs I would demand answers to the following two questions.

1. Are we going to hire the proper PR and social media consultants so we start changing our perception now and, next time the realignment world spins, are ready to fight the fight on the internet.

2. Who told Aresco we were leaving and what were we told that caused us to make such a ridiculous error?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Donna Shalala is one vindictive.
But doesn't our administration's strategy for that inspire confidence:

When Miami President Donna Shalala didn't return calls, there supposedly was even last-minute talk of getting her former boss Bill Clinton (a Jim Calhoun admirer) to facilitate a call.

Whoa. No there's some action: "If you don't return our phone calls, we may, possibly, engage in some last-minute talk of getting Bill Clinton to ask you. If, you know, one of us knew how to do that."

Reaction Score
It's a good article. It very well may be the case that, over the last few weeks, everything that could have been done by UConn was done, and the final outcome was not within our control. But if I were Jacobs I would demand answers to the following two questions.

1. Are we going to hire the proper PR and social media consultants so we start changing our perception now and, next time the realignment world spins, are ready to fight the fight on the internet.

2. Who told Aresco we were leaving and what were we told that caused us to make such a ridiculous error?

Biz - have you seen this in regards to #1 - http://www.courant.com/news/education/hc-uconn-new-vice-president-20121119,0,1975413.story

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Biz's second question is the important one. The Aresco presser makes almost no sense at all. I'd pay to hear what he really thinks right now.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Donna Shalala is one vindictive.

She's a cow, a pig of the worst kind. She is single-handedly responsible for Miami's recent athletic troubles, yet takes zero accountability.

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned it. But hiring a PR officer doesn't tell me that they're going to be building our street cred in sports on bulletin boards and in chat rooms. Which for reasons that shock me apparently we needed to be doing.

Imagine it will be job one when he starts (we hope).

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Someone mentioned it. But hiring a PR officer doesn't tell me that they're going to be building our street cred in sports on bulletin boards and in chat rooms. Which for reasons that shock me apparently we needed to be doing.

His credentials indicate he is skilled in those areas:

Kendig, who was hired by Iowa in 2010, helped that university "reposition its public message for the digital age, aggressively pursuing new strategies in multimedia content and social media as well as more traditional platforms," according to the UConn news release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom