Jackie Sherrill and Sam Cassell | The Boneyard

Jackie Sherrill and Sam Cassell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What do they have in common. Balls.

It was fall 1992. The bowl coalition had just been invented. The Big 8 had eight teams. The big 10 had 10 teams. Big east football, well, people like me went home on saturday afternoons and evenings and watched TV, and UConn football players went back to their dorm rooms on Saturday afternoons and watched and wondered, if UConn would ever line up on the gridiron against Cuse, BC, Pitt, Miami.....if it would happen.

FFW to today.....the big 10 has I think 11, maybe 12 teams, I'm not sure anymore. The big 8 doesn't exist anymore. The big east has had I think 14 different teams play conference sanctioned games. UConn has made it to the level of competing on Jan. 1st bowl games.

FFW today, and none of that matters, just as it clearly didn't in 1992, if conference affilitation was so important.......what's important is taht we play Pitt in two days. Two teams, in the middle of the pack, with the post season a long way off, just heading into the second half of the season. Toe to toe, see what you're really made of type of game.

Back in 1992, in what would now be a midwest, southern, upside down, defunct interconference game, Mississippi State was lining up to take on the University of Texas Longhorns. Two middle of the pack teams, heading toward a second half of the season, matching up toe to toe, see what you're made of kind of game.

Jackie Sherrill was coaching Mississippi State. He had an idea. I guess, he really wanted his players to reach down, inventory their packages, and make sure that when they lined up to play the longhorns, they were going to play with some cajones. After all, if you're not playing this game of football, with the ability to make good on plays, to make plays that you can get up afterward and run around doing the Sam Cassell big balls dance after.......well then you're in the wrong game. I love the Sam Cassell big balls dance, and it really comes from Cerrano and that asian character in one of the 'major league' movies, but the big ball dance - awesome.

Sherrill brought a longhorn bull out on the practice field, gathered the team around, and then proceeded to have the bull castrated in front of them, properly, cleanly, veternarian approved method. Cut it's balls off. There was some repercussion later, with people. BUT>>>>

Mississippi State beat Texas, 28-10 that week and finished the season strong enough, and with enough balls, to be ranked in the top 25 with 7-5 overall record and a bowl game. Texas finished unranked, and without a post season.

A panther is an endangered species, and probably don't make good eating. Longhorn bulls are not endangered and there's nothing like steak on the grill before a game.

Panthers are lucky in that respect I guess, b/c Cerrano wanted to sacrifice live chickens in Major League, and Sherrill castrated a bull, panthers aren't livestock.

The dogs are coming for those cats though, and I'm looking for the Huskies players to be doing big ball dances from start to last whistle. They can't show taht stuff on TV, but I will be there to see in person.

P.S. PETA extremist disclaimer: I don't advocate the harming of animals.

Reaction Score
BTW: first time I saw the sam cassell dance on display was a uconn v. florida state b-ball game i think it was 1991 or 1992, not sure, but he stood out then, for more than his looks.

Reaction Score
One of your more bizzare and entertaining posts in a while.

I mean that as a compliment. Well done.

Reaction Score
Bizarre? It's that time of year when there are skeletons and monsters everywhere you look.....at least for most other people I guess, it's just this time of year.......:eek:.

These guys have been working so damn hard to put a full game together of hard nosed disciplined football. I'd just like to see that happen, but at the same time happen with some big swagger.

Reaction Score
Ben&Jerry came out with a new flavor called "Schweddy Balls" our local supermarket refuses to carry it due to customers complaints.

Reaction Score
I have no personal desire to partake in the enjoyment of Ben & Jerry's schweddy balls on the tip of my tongue. I do so by choice, and do not believe that anyone's freedom of choice to do so should be infringed. Shame on that supermarket.

My point in all of this, is that there are different ways to motivate, and circumstances are important. WE're going into a prime time television game on a Wednesday night. The world series is going on, but I'm not sure how many people east of the Mississippi are really going to be watching.

We're going to be on stage. The best way to perform well in the spotlight, is to be extremely well prepared and practiced and then go do your job 100%, with complete attention to detail...and to do it all while having fun.

That's what I hope to see on Wednesday. A team playing the entire game, the full 60 minutes, playing it well, to their potential, and having fun at the same time as being Teddy Jennings head butting players with no helmet on intense.

Reaction Score
This thread is total quality. A damn good read. Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom