OT: - Jackie MacMullan retiring from espn | The Boneyard

OT: Jackie MacMullan retiring from espn

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score

She wrote for the Boston Globe for many years. Jackie knows her sports...especially basketball.
She did play all 4 years for the University of New Hampshire women's team back in the day.
I vaguely recall some connections to Geno...not sure about that.

I hope her retirement from espn is not an abrupt end to her writing and/or appearances.

Reaction Score

She wrote for the Boston Globe for many years. Jackie knows her sports...especially basketball.
She did play all 4 years for the University of New Hampshire women's team back in the day.
I vaguely recall some connections to Geno...not sure about that.

I hope her retirement from espn is not an abrupt end to her writing and/or appearances.
She assisted him in writing his autobiography

Reaction Score
End of an era. I was introduced to MacMullan as a teen thanks to the Sports Reporters show on Sunday mornings. She's well respected and I've always been a fan. Man, we're talking almost 30 years......

I know that some of the sports writers in Canada who have crossed paths with her over the years are big fans of her too. Their Raptors beat writer posted a classy tweet congratulating her today.

Reaction Score
Always enjoyed her work.
She will be missed.
She always spoke highly of the UCONN program and appreciated how massively difficulty it is to do what UCONN has done in having huge and sustained success.

Reaction Score
Like others have stated, loved her writings and commentary on ESPN and Around the Horn. I wish her all the best with her future plans.

Reaction Score
Love Jackie and I'm sorry to see her go. Like @cancontent I first saw her on the Sports Reporters show and I used to read her columns in the Boston Globe too.
I'm just lucky TSN would simulcast Sports Reporters back then before NFL Countdown. Got exposed to a lot of great US sports writers to help supplement what I could get in Canada.

Unlike the US back then, and fortunately to a lesser extent now, seeing women on a sports TV was rare in Canada. IF memory serves correct, TSN was really behind on the game when they started up in the 80s. Had only one woman who would be a SportsCenter host (Teresa Hergert - sic??). American networks were way ahead of the curve in that respect.

Seeing people like Jackie, Pam Oliver, Andrea Kramer made being a female sports junky normal and cool. Really appreciated that.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
It is a long talk that is linked....some 20 minutes or so...and very much worth hearing.
Plebe is right...she is sharp....and darn entertaining....knowledge plus a sense of humor.

Reaction Score
A talk from January 2006, shortly after its publication. This is prior to her ESPN tenure; at this time she was with the Boston Globe.

Really interesting comments from her. She's sharp.

Nice video, thanks for posting it. You can always tell the best writers because they know how to tell a good story.

Reaction Score
There was a book signing in Boston and Geno got stuck in traffic so she had to talk a bit more than she expected. Was entertaining.
always enjoyed her commentaries on ESPN

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I have not read the book but she included in her talk some tidbits about Geno that I was unaware of....and I have been a UConn women's fan for some 29 years. His brush with flames at 2 years of age...yikes!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It is a long talk that is linked....some 20 minutes or so...and very much worth hearing.
Plebe is right...she is sharp....and darn entertaining....knowledge plus a sense of humor.
I'm really disappointed in you for 1) Labeling this thread OT 2) Letting this thread get this far and failing to mention that Jackie is also a former PG for our beloved UNH Wildcats. Not only is a great writer she played the women's game at a very high level.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Coco: fair point on my improper label. BUT: needless roughing on my not mentioning Jackie's connection to UNH.
It is in the initial post. Uhhh...the ref is calling a tech on you....good thing it takes 2 of 'em to get thrown out.

Reaction Score
I'm really disappointed in you for 1) Labeling this thread OT 2) Letting this thread get this far and failing to mention that Jackie is also a former PG for our beloved UNH Wildcats. Not only is a great writer she played the women's game at a very high level.
"Beloved UNH"? Are you a fellow Granite Stater?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Bumping this thread because I ran across this priceless piece of work from Jackie. This is an excerpt from Geno: In Pursuit of Perfection.
So many great stories in the one short article and obviously more in the book which features Geno at his irreverent, wise cracking best. I honestly believe this (Geno wise cracking) was one of the basis of the fall out with Pat. Geno just didn't take anything seriously except winning and Pat took a more reverent approach to things.

The writers are laughing, and I'm laughing as I say it, but obviously it doesn't go over too well. Pat never says anything to me, but I get word she is ticked off. Harry isn't mad at all, but he does call me up to say, "What are you doing?" I shoot back with, "Yo, how's the hot tub?" He says, "You've got to stop." I say, "No, you've got to stop, because you know, she's married and you're married and you better cut it out, or people will start talking."

Reaction Score
Bumping this thread because I ran across this priceless piece of work from Jackie. This is an excerpt from Geno: In Pursuit of Perfection.
So many great stories in the one short article and obviously more in the book which features Geno at his irreverent, wise cracking best. I honestly believe this (Geno wise cracking) was one of the basis of the fall out with Pat. Geno just didn't take anything seriously except winning and Pat took a more reverent approach to things.

The writers are laughing, and I'm laughing as I say it, but obviously it doesn't go over too well. Pat never says anything to me, but I get word she is ticked off. Harry isn't mad at all, but he does call me up to say, "What are you doing?" I shoot back with, "Yo, how's the hot tub?" He says, "You've got to stop." I say, "No, you've got to stop, because you know, she's married and you're married and you better cut it out, or people will start talking."

Thanks for doing that. My goal this upcoming summer is to catch up on the books she's written. I forgot about this book.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom