Izzo was out-coached today | The Boneyard

Izzo was out-coached today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Great guy, great coach, like him second best, but he got served today. KO made good adjustments, timeouts and subs. Izzo not as much. He still was really passionate and that's why I really respect him. But I think KO was better. MSU made a ton of errors and that's his problem.

Reaction Score
Izzo gets out-coached more than you think, esp by Bo Ryan and John Beilien has been doing it recently. Don't even ask me about Roy Williams : (.

Reaction Score
Was surprised they didn't develop some sort of wrinkle to get the ball inside when we were doubling their obvious post feeds. Teams always wanted to double Emeka, but we moved him around and weren't predictable in where we'd throw it to him. Izzo had no answers at all.

Reaction Score
Izzo gets out-coached more than you think, esp by Bo Ryan and John Beilien has been doing it recently. Don't even ask me about Roy Williams : (.
I agree. I respect Izzo, but he's put on such a high pedestal as is Roy and K. Perception is far too often reality, and ESPN pumps perception like none other. Add Ricky P and Cal to that list of ESPN pimped coaches.

As for the game, IMO, IZZO made a huge mistake of not pounding it inside on us and crashing the boards more to get our bigs in foul trouble. That lead they built at the beginning of the 2nd half was fools gold. By the time it was late in the game and our bigs were not in foul trouble, we were in position to control the game.

KO seemed to push all the right buttons. Never made his players give up, but to keep with the game plan and try to drive it and take what the D gave them, even though the 3s weren't falling.

Reaction Score
Agree dog. KO had the UConn defense like they amped on 50 red bulls each. I really thought that Izzo would really push inside the paint in the second half but it never came. Considering the fouls on AB I thought that was a big mistake on his part.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Or Krapshefsky

Reaction Score
With inference to 'out-of-body-experiences', will he be on Art Bell ' Coast To Coast Am tonite??? Just asking.

Reaction Score
I think Izzo did not have as many pieces as Ollie.
MSU talent looks to be overrated.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
They got out coached and out played!

Our boys are on a mission! !

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
As for the game, IMO, IZZO made a huge mistake of not pounding it inside on us and crashing the boards more to get our bigs in foul trouble. That lead they built at the beginning of the 2nd half was fools gold. By the time it was late in the game and our bigs were not in foul trouble, we were in position to control the game.

They tried - it didn't work.

The perimeter defense completely took Michigan State out of their game.

Teams do not play in a vacuum - the other team is on the floor trying to take away what they want to do.

Today, UConn did that to Michigan State.

And to the original poster - yep, Ollie outcoached one hell of a coach in Tom Izzo today.

Reaction Score
They tried - it didn't work.

The perimeter defense completely took Michigan State out of their game.

Teams do not play in a vacuum - the other team is on the floor trying to take away what they want to do.

Today, UConn did that to Michigan State.

And to the original poster - yep, Ollie outcoached one hell of a coach in Tom Izzo today.

Yes. Boatright was excellent on D, as was everyone else basically.

I feel like Payne hitting those 3s early probably hurt them down the stretch. He ended up taking probably a dozen 3s/long 2s and tried to operate from out there - not only did he end up missing down the stretch, but he also got happy feet with our perimeter D buzzing around threw some erratic passes.

Reaction Score
Part of out coaching is the defensive game plan which according to KO was put together by his staff not him, said so in the interview. Let's not forget our assistant coaches. So much of this sounds like mano v mano, Izzo/KO when it's the total staff, and our coaches had the team way more amped than MSU. Maybe Izzo and his coaches didn't create that urgency. I don't know who put what together on game plans for us but so far it's working.

Reaction Score
I agree. I respect Izzo, but he's put on such a high pedestal as is Roy and K. Perception is far too often reality, and ESPN pumps perception like none other. Add Ricky P and Cal to that list of ESPN pimped coaches.

KO seemed to push all the right buttons. Never made his players give up, but to keep with the game plan and try to drive it and take what the D gave them, even though the 3s weren't falling.

That's an interesting point that didn't occur to me during the game. It seemed like Bazz and Boat were trying to drive too deep and getting stuck, especially in the first half. But maybe if we had elicited more foul calls (like Bazz did from very early on in the 2nd half), the strategy (of deliberate deep penetration - eww sounds gross) would have been more apparent to a simpleton like me. I attributed it to a healthier-than-warranted respect for their bigs up to that point in the game, but it really paid dividends in the 2nd half. I'm not gonna second-guess the braintrust here, but it seems like there is opportunity - given the insane quickness/handle/separation capacity of both our guards - to exploit the mid-range against Florida (as Boat did in previous games to good effect). Ollie may have decided deep penetration w/ perimeter kicks or foul inducement is the better tactic, though. Maybe this is all a lot less deliberate than I'm assuming, but I doubt it.

Reaction Score
Michigan State struggled to get to the rim, and then started shooting a lot of 3s. When they went in, for about period near the end of the first half and going into the second, they looked great. But someone said "fools gold," I think that's right. That's not their game. UConn made them play a game they weren't comfortable with, and they never fully adjusted.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Wasn't feeling like fools gold to my stomach!

Reaction Score
Jerry1714 said:
Could not disagree with this more. It is so stupid when people watch a game and they lose and they say that team is so "over rated" and "sucks". Both teams were are very good[/

Said it before the game. Spartans would be amazed by the quickness of our guards and would not be ready at all for our defense. BTW I didn't say their players sucked. From what I have seen in the tourney most of the teams are not used to seeing a superior defense. And when they do their play doesn't seem so wonderful.

Reaction Score
I think Izzo did not have as many pieces as Ollie.
MSU talent looks to be overrated.

you should take a look at what Dawson and Payne did in the 3 tourney games prior to today, the gameplan took the pieces you feel are overrated away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom