Izzo: NBA Draft is broken, and here's how to fix it | The Boneyard

Izzo: NBA Draft is broken, and here's how to fix it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tom Izzo wants changes to NBA draft system he thinks is broken

"I guarantee you there's 10 american kids that are better than some of those guys, but when you can redshirt them and keep them over there, that makes it more convenient to draft, because you do retain those rights," Izzo said.

Izzo said he would like basketball to be able to go to a model like in hockey, where players can get drafted and then return to school and develop.

In that situation, Izzo said, a player like Davis would choose to return to school instead of turn professional next year.
I think this would be pretty great, though there would still have to be some regulations. And I definitely think it would help the smaller conferences -- if Lakers fans knew one of "their" players was playing for, say, Colorado State, you'd bet your sweet bippy more people would be watching Colorado State games.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
This has long been my solution. Wonder why they don't do this?

Reaction Score
APR would need to go out of the window. What is he motivation for a kid that was a 1st round draft pick and went back to college to get decent grades? Other than that I like the idea.

Reaction Score
Wasn't that the rule years ago when but with the territorial draft ?
I recall were the Warriors took Wilt as a high school freshman .

Reaction Score
I havent thought much about the logistics of changing this, but i hate the idea of "stashing" 1st rounders. It seems to be just a workaround for teams that cant manage their salary cap properly. 1st rounders should have guarantees whether stashed or not. That would likely resolve the issue.

Or, an exemption for draft picks salaries for the 1st year.

Again, i havent done all the math, but this really hurts the process for me.

Reaction Score
Would the NCAA go for putting s significant amount in a blind trust until the player finished school?
The NBA could easily modify their Cap rules to exclude trust money.

Reaction Score
Tom's thinking about a kid like Davis which I agree with. He's also wishing this worked as this kid would have had a tremendous soph year, like his game. He makes sense no doubt, and then the GM's would have to be much more strategic in their choices depending on immediate need and such.

Reaction Score
Honestly, Izzo is a huge hypocrite and whiner. He only cares because of Davis. If Davis went late lottery or mid-1st as projected and got guaranteed money Izzo wouldn't be saying anything.

The kid was a freshmen, he had no obligation to leave, it was his choice and he knew the rules and risks. Izzo is trying to make excuses and now the kid has no guaranteed money, but in theory by year 3-4 he could be making more than any of the 1st rounders if he works out in a big way.

Tom's thinking about a kid like Davis which I agree with. He's also wishing this worked as this kid would have had a tremendous soph year, like his game. He makes sense no doubt, and then the GM's would have to be much more strategic in their choices depending on immediate need and such.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Izzo is about a billion dollars and one NBA team short for anyone to listen to him seriously.

Reaction Score
APR would need to go out of the window. What is he motivation for a kid that was a 1st round draft pick and went back to college to get decent grades? Other than that I like the idea.
Well theoretically if you're a first rounder and you're old and physically developed enough, you could make the jump now. This system would be more geared towards a second rounder (or perhaps a third rounder as it would allow the draft to expand) who could be drafted then go back to college and have a great opportunity to develop and learn, something which NBA teams know is a better option for a 19 year old than the D-League. But for a first rounder, going back to college would be a chance to show he's ready to play immediately and earn a spot on the roster and a contract coming out.

Additionally, if they implemented it like hockey does, a player who completes his education and is (I think) three years removed from being drafted can become a free agent and sign with whoever he wants. This incentivizes players to stay and complete their degree, continue to develop, and potentially be in a more advantageous position to sign. This is precisely what Harvard's Jimmy Vesey did this past spring. He stayed his senior year, won the Hobey Baker Award, elected not to sign with the Nashville Predators who had drafted him, became a free agent and is now being sought by numerous NHL teams. If he'd left after his junior year, he'd have only been able to sign with Nashville. Now he has a Harvard degree, a Hobey Baker, and just about his pick of who he'd like to sign with. Not too shabby.

caw

Reaction Score
I honestly don't think it matters much. there are only X amount of NBA roster spots anyway. If a team chooses to stash a player overseas instead of playing the player in the NBA, that should be their business. The roster spot is still there for a rookie to try and grab, they now just have to do it without guaranteed cash. If anything second rounders are more screwed than Undrafted players in many ways. If they aren't going to guarantee money, they shouldn't give exclusive rights to a team. I'm a fan of eliminating the second round or putting in minimum guarantees for second rounders.

Reaction Score
Honestly, Izzo is a huge hypocrite and whiner. He only cares because of Davis. If Davis went late lottery or mid-1st as projected and got guaranteed money Izzo wouldn't be saying anything.

The kid was a freshmen, he had no obligation to leave, it was his choice and he knew the rules and risks. Izzo is trying to make excuses and now the kid has no guaranteed money, but in theory by year 3-4 he could be making more than any of the 1st rounders if he works out in a big way.

Agree JSM no doubt. But in theory he could make guaranteed many right out of college if he stays one or 2 more years. Again, who knows but I get this to a point. As above mentioned worked with Larry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom