Ivy League cancels 20-21 winter sports! [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ivy League cancels 20-21 winter sports! [merged thread]

Reaction Score
The sad difference is that people now know what they're dealing with and still won't stop having house parties, going out without masks or visiting family for holidays. :(

A significant portion of the students live off-campus.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Two points

To VaFan...you're darn right people will notice...Carla Berube stage-managed some really attractive (and winning) BB at Princeton last season; For me they became one of my fav teams to watch.
Even moved her up the list for whenever.....

And Plebe: "a silver lining"???
Sending everyone home throughout the state and country to large family gatherings? Super-spreader city?

I'm pretty worried....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
"Sports are truly extracurricular activities"

Tell that to the 1000's of IVY athletes who have worked a good portion of their lives to achieve success on and off their athletic field of choice AND desire to get a world class education.
Not quite sure what you are saying. I was an IVY League athlete. During my college years, nothing was more important to me than competing in college sports. But afterwards, the importance of my education has made an enormous difference in my life.

There are no short cuts for Ivy athletes: no athletic scholarships, no easy course loads and not a lot of sleep either.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It seems to me that in this second wave with numbers spiking all over, being on organized teams such as WCBB is actually significantly safer than if the players/ coaches etc. were left on their own as part of the general population.

Constant testing actually makes them safer to the outside community than (Asymptomatic) individuals not undergoing testing so unlike the initial wave, the uncertainty of whether these teams would be petri dishes infecting the general population is not an issue.

It boils down to cost and discipline and the small number of players may make it impossible to absorb even a small number of positive cases but as a public health issue, it is safer than being a young person living life on their own both for them and for the community
The other thing you can be sure of is that UConn WBB players, under Geno and his coaching staff’s guidance, are among the most responsible students on campus. WBB would probably be the very last group of students on campus that would let their guard down. It’s all about the TEAM!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The other thing you can be sure of is that UConn WBB players, under Geno and his coaching staff’s guidance, are among the most responsible students on campus. WBB would probably be the very last group of students on campus that would let their guard down. It’s all about the TEAM!

You still have to worry about your opponents being as vigilant but everyone seems well motivated

I think a useful parallel to assess the feasibility of a WCBB season is Women's Volleyball (general indoor environment) which seems to be managing through without incident as far as I know. (?)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You still have to worry about your opponents being as vigilant but everyone seems well motivated

I think a useful parallel to assess the feasibility of a WCBB season is Women's Volleyball (general indoor environment) which seems to be managing through without incident as far as I know. (?)
Yea, somewhere I read that basketball is the worst possible sport for the potential to transfer the coronavirus. You have a bunch of players, guarding each other closely, breathing heavily, indoors.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yea, somewhere I read that basketball is the worst possible sport for the potential to transfer the coronavirus. You have a bunch of players, guarding each other closely, breathing heavily, indoors.

I think we have come to the point that the actual on court athletic exposure is not the issue (we are practicing without limitations) since this is a closed environment due to the high testing levels done repeatedly over time which reinforces overall behavior of the players. I think the travel and contact with the outside world (colleges) is the main vulnerability and the avoidance of this due to best practice procedures seems to be well replicated by the Women's Volleyball experience.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
And Plebe: "a silver lining"???
Sending everyone home throughout the state and country to large family gatherings? Super-spreader city?

I'm pretty worried....
Well, the students would've otherwise been going home just a few weeks later, in about the second week of December, no? However dangerous the return to family is, I don't see how the danger is increased by sliding the timetable up to Thanksgiving.

I do think, however, that the risk to the team is lessened significantly if the rest of the students go away sooner rather than later.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Well, the students would've otherwise been going home just a few weeks later, in about the second week of December, no? However dangerous the return to family is, I don't see how the danger is increased by sliding the timetable up to Thanksgiving.

I do think, however, that the risk to the team is lessened significantly if the rest of the students go away sooner rather than later.
I was unaware of that aspect of the schedule...thanks for filling me in on that...
My concern was the comings and goings and large family gatherings.
It's easy to imagine the catastrophe that could mean...not only for UConn
but for the country.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom