I've been a UConn fan since 1980 and can't remember a UConn team only having 2 losses this late in the season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I've been a UConn fan since 1980 and can't remember a UConn team only having 2 losses this late in the season

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think the schedule favored is this year as opposed to recent years.
Xavier bring short handed helped that could have been a loss . Are two toughest road games were them and Butler. and them .
We haven’t played Marquette
or Creighton on the road or Providence for that matter .
We played St Johns on a neutral site .
We were short handed so those road wins were big even if not over the top teams .

Playing NCAA games at hostile places was the norm.

Kimball was a great rebounder who averaged close to an amazing 20 a game
As great as he was he never approached the UConn record
of 24.4 per game by the legendary Art Quimby from New London Buckley HS . The most amazing record on the books 1954-55. My first year listing to UConn games .
His career average of 21 is also an amazing record .
He was recruited by Adolf Rupp but decided against Kentucky when they got caught in the point shaving scandal .
Yeah pretty surprising to see only two other Big East teams in the top 25.

Our Big East schedule is pretty backloaded this year. 4 of the last 6 is against the current conference top 4. Other 2 are against Nova at home and Providence on the road.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
So glad Dyson, Sticks , etc. was still able to hang a Final Four banner. 24-1 record. Wonder if we’ll honor that team?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Somebody's got to point out the obvious here...

"Casual"

Reaction Score
Another thing: I don’t remember there being a UConn team where I had no clue who the best player is. Just an amazing team.
I believe strongly that if we get number 6 this year we'll look back with no question on who the best player was. It will be Castle he represents this team's ceiling, will guard the opposing team's best player and be our most dynamic scorer.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score

Our Big East schedule is pretty backloaded this year. 4 of the last 6 is against the current conference top 4. Other 2 are against Nova at home and Providence on the road.
My hope is the back loaded conference schedule has us fired up down the stretch. Last year, I think, we coasted out of the OOC and a front-loaded schedule smacked us in the face. This year should be about defending what we've earned and finishing the job.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
True, but I'm thinking if they were going to get UConn, there had better get them early. Castle will be even better in a couple weeks. The bench will have had more reps. Clingon playing his best ball. They'll have their hands full.

Reaction Score

The Big East needs a more capable Commissioner who can/will clean-up the officiated mess. It favors untalented teams that are horrible to watch.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The Big East needs a more capable Commissioner who can/will clean-up the officiated mess. It favors untalented teams that are horrible to watch.
Eh, im not as big on the officiating thing. The Big East has been like this for years and it used to be looked at as a rite of passage for how tough your team can be. I’m not sure why there’s all this complaining now. Just adjust lol

Do people think the officiating is worse than it has ever been?

Reaction Score
Too late to edit my original comment, but both the 94 and 95 teams also started 20-2.
Isn’t that around the time some folks said Calhoun had reached his ceiling? So glad we listened to them!

Reaction Score
Let’s see how many times we can post the same answer in this thread.
I thought people might catch on and realize a full list had been posted, but it just kept going

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I've been a UConn fan since 1980 and can't remember a UConn team only having 2 losses this late in the season. Have we had a better record through 22 games in any season?
Off the top of my head, '95-96 entered the BE Tourney with only 2 losses and the '99 Championship team ended the year with only 2 losses.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
My hope is the back loaded conference schedule has us fired up down the stretch. Last year, I think, we coasted out of the OOC and a front-loaded schedule smacked us in the face. This year should be about defending what we've earned and finishing the job.
Right, I’m honestly not worried about Creighton. I don’t think they play with a defensive style that has given us trouble this year to be able to pull off something at home and our guys should be up for that game.

Marquette is really my only worry going down the stretch. They have that style of face guarding, switch everything defense that teams have been trying to imitate to slow down our offense. Should be a fun one.

Reaction Score
Eh, im not as big on the officiating thing. The Big East has been like this for years and it used to be looked at as a rite of passage for how tough your team can be. I’m not sure why there’s all this complaining now. Just adjust lol

The quality of the officiating has been highlighted these last two years because we've witnessed some of the most beautiful offensive basketball coming from our squad, particularly out of conference.

Then we get in the Big East and we see the conference and refs rewarding scrub teams that aren't talented enough to compete so they "muck it up" and play some of the ugliest basketball imaginable.

That providence game was truly painful to watch. Its the only time I felt like leaving a UConn game early (didn't) and we were winning. I think that's why the complaints about the officiating are at all time high. It feels like we're being denied the beautiful game we're capable of with better officiating.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score

I think it looks like 80s Big East hoops; hasn't gotten worse but hasn't kept pace with changes in the game.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Right, I’m honestly not worried about Creighton. I don’t think they play with a defensive style that has given us trouble this year to be able to pull off something at home and our guys should be up for that game.

Marquette is really my only worry going down the stretch. They have that style of face guarding, switch everything defense that teams have been trying to imitate to slow down our offense. Should be a fun one.
18-2 gets her done but I like the sound of 19-1 a lot better; one at a time though, one at a time.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The quality of the officiating has been highlighted these last two years because we've witnessed some of the most beautiful offensive basketball coming from our squad, particularly out of conference.

Then we get in the Big East and we see the conference and refs rewarding scrub teams that aren't talented enough to compete so they "muck it up" and play some of the ugliest basketball imaginable.

That providence game was truly painful to watch. Its the only time I felt like leaving a UConn game early (didn't) and we were winning. I think that's why the complaints about the officiating are at all time high. It feels like we're being denied the beautiful game we're capable of with better officiating.
That’s understood. It’s kind of how it was like in 2011 where we were undefeated in non conference but Kemba got mugged and jumped during Big East. That offense did look pretty good during the OOC as well though not as good as this one.

It’s just a part of the conference brand at this point and to be expected. That Providence game sucked but I think that was more about Providence mucking it up because that was their only shot. That 2nd half was horrible.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Isn’t that around the time some folks said Calhoun had reached his ceiling? So glad we listened to them!
I worked with a guy who made it a point to send it in whenever he could against Calhoun. "Mark my words!" he actually bellowed. "UConn is never winning a thing with Calhoun". I eventually moved to a new assignment but I ran into the guy at function about a month after 77-74 and said "UConn just won the National Championship!" He says, "Yeah, no s----, why you telling me?" And I go "You said to mark your words so I'm doing that now." It went off the rails a bit after that, let me just say when some tells you to "mark their words", they don't really mean it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom