IUP First Up In Storrs | The Boneyard

IUP First Up In Storrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Exhibition against IUP first up for defending champs
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 10:20 am
By Carl Adamec, Journal Inquirer

The first game that Breanna Stewart, Moriah Jefferson, and Morgan Tuck played for the University of Connecticut women’s basketball team was an exhibition against Indiana University of Pennsylvania in 2012.

The first game of the post-Big Three era will be against IUP as well.

Coach Geno Auriemma’s four-time reigning national champion Huskies will open preseason play against the Crimson Hawks on Nov. 1. The second Division II exhibition opponent for UConn will be Pace University with the date and time of that contest to be determined. IUP’s website has its game with UConn being played in Storrs. The Huskies have traditionally played one exhibition on campus and one at the XL Center in Hartford.

“We’re really excited and it’ll be a lot of fun to compete against arguably the best women’s basketball program in history, and arguably the greatest coach,” IUP coach Tom McConnell said. “They’re the gold standard in our game. We’re thankful to Coach Auriemma and the program for the opportunity to go up and compete.”

MORE...

60 days! Head bang

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Arguably? Is there another program or coach that a sane person would consider the greatest? If there ever was a sport where there's no argument, I'd say it's WCBB.
But in fairness she did go on to say that UCONN is the gold standard for WCBB, so that's something! ;)

Reaction Score
I think he is correctly trying to avoid absolutes. No one wants to have to defend those, even though we all "know" it's true in this case. I've learned the (very, very) hard way to say that "x is among the very best...blah, blah, blah..."

Reaction Score
Arguably? Is there another program or coach that a sane person would consider the greatest? If there ever was a sport where there's no argument, I'd say it's WCBB.
It would appear the IUP coach was correct---you are arguing his use of ARGUABLY as to the greatness of Geno or his program!!!!

Reaction Score
Exhibition against IUP first up for defending champs
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 10:20 am
By Carl Adamec, Journal Inquirer

The first game that Breanna Stewart, Moriah Jefferson, and Morgan Tuck played for the University of Connecticut women’s basketball team was an exhibition against Indiana University of Pennsylvania in 2012.

The first game of the post-Big Three era will be against IUP as well.

Coach Geno Auriemma’s four-time reigning national champion Huskies will open preseason play against the Crimson Hawks on Nov. 1. The second Division II exhibition opponent for UConn will be Pace University with the date and time of that contest to be determined. IUP’s website has its game with UConn being played in Storrs. The Huskies have traditionally played one exhibition on campus and one at the XL Center in Hartford.

“We’re really excited and it’ll be a lot of fun to compete against arguably the best women’s basketball program in history, and arguably the greatest coach,” IUP coach Tom McConnell said. “They’re the gold standard in our game. We’re thankful to Coach Auriemma and the program for the opportunity to go up and compete.”

MORE...

60 days! Head bang

Again THANK you Javaman---At one time I thought it a travesty for a team of Geno's strength to play an IUP or alike. But a number of things come from playing a Geno team:
1. They get paid well
2. The get to see how a really top team practices
3. The coach gets to do of picking Geno's methods .

That's like winning a State lottery..

Reaction Score
I think he is correctly trying to avoid absolutes. No one wants to have to defend those, even though we all "know" it's true in this case. I've learned the (very, very) hard way to say that "x is among the very best...blah, blah, blah..."

Bags--I bow to you expertise! His team needs to see some chance of winning, if not winning to not be embarrassed by the scores. If Coach, and I"m sure he does, and team take this as a learning experiment --egos should be intact as they ride home.

Reaction Score
Didn't one of our exhibition opponents last year go on to win the NCAA2 ring...and maybe finish undefeated?
And didn't that coach tout their game with UConn as playing a major role in their success?
Lubbock Christian, on Nov. 2, 2015. They lost by 56, and then in their first year eligible for NCAA postseason play, the Lady Chaps advanced to the 2016 Division II Championship game and defeated Alaska Anchorage 78-73 to win their first national championship.

Coach Steve Gomez was named the 2016 United States Marine Corps/WBCA NCAA Division II National Coach of the Year.

upload_2016-9-1_11-21-28.png

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Lubbock Christian, on Nov. 2, 2015. They lost by 56, and then in their first year eligible for NCAA postseason play, the Lady Chaps advanced to the 2016 Division II Championship game and defeated Alaska Anchorage 78-73 to win their first national championship.

Coach Steve Gomez was named the 2016 United States Marine Corps/WBCA NCAA Division II National Coach of the Year.

My issue was I wasn't able to see the game, neither on WatchESPN or broadcast. For me a real tragedy. A great achievement nonetheless for a deserving team and coach.

Reaction Score
My issue was I wasn't able to see the game, neither on WatchESPN or broadcast. For me a real tragedy. A great achievement nonetheless for a deserving team and coach.

JordyG and Javaman--it's the respect and interest Uconn Fans like you have in these pre-season warm up teams says a whole lot about the Uconn program.

Reaction Score
First time poster...and a perfect time also! I graduated from IUP in 1980 (originally from Aliquippa, PA. Good luck to the Crimson Hawks (although we know the outcome in advance)...nice to get some recognition for the old alma mater! Live in Milford now...in CT since 1994

Reaction Score

In my ancient mentality--I see the UIP coach Tom referred to as both (original) genders Is Tom currently used as one of the three or four current Genders?? I don't want to offend anyone
I'm a bit confused at how I should refer to the UIP coach --along with just Coach but that get redundant in some sentences..

Reaction Score
In my ancient mentality--I see the UIP coach Tom referred to as both (original) genders Is Tom currently used as one of the three or four current Genders?? I don't want to offend anyone
I'm a bit confused at how I should refer to the UIP coach --along with just Coach but that get redundant in some sentences..
good point. I don't know, and maybe I was being presumptive. Thanks.

Reaction Score
good point. I don't know, and maybe I was being presumptive. Thanks.
My comment wasn't about your comment --actually---and for once I wasn't kidding around. I live in a world that is foreign t0 me and I only moved from Ct to Va (a great state with great people).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
First time poster...and a perfect time also! I graduated from IUP in 1980 (originally from Aliquippa, PA. Good luck to the Crimson Hawks (although we know the outcome in advance)...nice to get some recognition for the old alma mater! Live in Milford now...in CT since 1994
Welcome to the board, but don't try to call yourself MilfordHusky. ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Didn't one of our exhibition opponents last year go on to win the NCAA2 ring...and maybe finish undefeated?
And didn't that coach tout their game with UConn as playing a major role in their success?
It's amazing how easy the rest of the schedule seems when you start with possibly the best team ever. :D

Reaction Score
Again THANK you Javaman---At one time I thought it a travesty for a team of Geno's strength to play an IUP or alike. But a number of things come from playing a Geno team:
1. They get paid well
2. The get to see how a really top team practices
3. The coach gets to do of picking Geno's methods .

That's like winning a State lottery..
The Vermont WBB team is passing up a $17,500 payday (+12 hotel rooms and 3 meals per player) by canceling their December away game at UNC due to North Carolina's transgender/bathroom law.

Vermont women nix visit to UNC, citing HB2 law

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
A hell of a lot of angst over this issue is unnecessary and becoming very costly. Seems to me that if/when any transgender person needs to visit a public bathroom, that person will inevitably hasten to transact business in the privacy of a stall -- just like thousands of ladies have been doing for decades in men's rooms in every theater on Broadway during intermissions.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
A hell of a lot of angst over this issue is unnecessary and becoming very costly. Seems to me that if/when any transgender person needs to visit a public bathroom, that person will inevitably hasten to transact business in the privacy of a stall -- just like thousands of ladies have been doing for decades in men's rooms in every theater on Broadway during intermissions.
I live in NYC man, the land of the unisex bathroom. That illusion and all it entails has been destroyed for me long ago. Over the years I've had women literally knock me over to get to a men's room stall. I've never seen the issue here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom