It's weird to see the Yard melting down... | The Boneyard

It's weird to see the Yard melting down...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
and it actually feels warranted. This almost never happens. The posts on this board always overstate the problems on the court. But not this time, because we just lost to Wagner and Northeastern and by the transitive property we lost to Lowell. I'm not exaggerating when I say we might not be one of the best five teams in New England the way we're playing.

I'll try hard to see some bright spots:

- Larrier shows some promise...I know it's against mid-majors, but kid has hit shots that, given his size, should be there against a lot of opponents.

- I'm not at all surprised by Adams' play. In fact, I predicted this. Not to pat myself on the back because I'm sure there are at least a dozen predictions I made that have already been proven wrong, but he's clearly still in the 'trying to do too much' phase. He's going to be a great player, possibly before the year is over.

- Jackson seems to be good at shooting.

- Gilbert is not as good at shooting, but that can be fixed.

- I'll take a team that sucks on day one and continues to get better over a team that is pretty good on day one - like last years team - and never gets that much better. The conference tournament is in Hartford, which means we have the chance to be the most talented 15 seed ever and possibly win a national championship that way because maybe this is all a hoax? I'm already starting to believe that this is what's happening.

Reaction Score
The thought of being a 13-16 seed and winning the national championship just actually picked me up a bit.

It's honestly something that's never been possible for us before. You can't win a major conference tournament and get less than a 12 seed.

But we could do it at home in the AAC. We could start improving after having a 15 or so losses (with some other bad ones) and win the AAC tournament. And then scare the pants off some high seeds. What 3 seed wants to see a team who won 8 in a row and has like 6 top 50 recruits. That would actually be fun.

That's about the only bright side I can see from all this.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I consider myself a pretty rational fan as I've grown out of my early 20s (some may recall I compared Kemba to Stephon Marbury at some point in 2011). That being said I'm extremely worried not just for this season but the trajectory of this program.

As much as the AAC sucks, it hasn't had a ton of impact on our recruiting and while the margin of error is thinner and we don't have as many opportunities for ranked wins, if we were playing like a traditional UConn team and finishing top 2 in regular season it wouldn't make a difference.

I'm worried about Ollie.

Napier was a transcendent college player who became a legend and while you can't take that away from KO I think what's more telling is the season after with Boat and the NIT and then last seasons talented squad that only managed a 9 Seed and a First Round exit.

Where are inprovements in game and more importanly season to season?

Facey, Brimah, and now Enoch... Our big guys look out of place and dont have a clue.

The Offense? Brutal.

KO body language. . Terrible.

Im at a loss here. Its pretty bleak folks.

Reaction Score
I consider myself a pretty rational fan as I've grown out of my early 20s (some may recall I compared Kemba to Stephon Marbury at some point in 2011). That being said I'm extremely worried not just for this season but the trajectory of this program.

As much as the AAC sucks, it hasn't had a ton of impact on our recruiting and while the margin of error is thinner and we don't have as many opportunities for ranked wins, if we were playing like a traditional UConn team and finishing top 2 in regular season it wouldn't make a difference.

I'm worried about Ollie.

Napier was a transcendent college player who became a legend and while you can't take that away from KO I think what's more telling is the season after with Boat and the NIT and then last seasons talented squad that only managed a 9 Seed and a First Round exit.

Facey, Brimah, and now Enoch... Our big guys look out of place and dont have a clue.

The Offense? Brutal.

Agree with all of this but we lost in the second round of the tournament last year, losing to Kansas. It would somehow actually be a lot bleaker around here and bleaker for Ollie if Adams didn't hit the 70 foot shot last year against Cincy and if Brimah didn't have the three point play to save our butts against St. Joe's.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm worried about Ollie.

Napier was a transcendent college player who became a legend and while you can't take that away from KO I think what's more telling is the season after with Boat and the NIT and then last seasons talented squad that only managed a 9 Seed and a First Round exit

Not disagreeing with most of your post, but fans who thought the 2015 team was going to be a good year were delusional. You don't subtract the best point guard in the country, a 4 year jack of all trades sharp shooting wing, a key 5th year guard, and your best post scoring/rebounding presence (stretch 4) and expect to be better. Just doesn't happen.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Not disagreeing with most of your post, but fans who thought the 2015 team was going to be a good year were delusional. You don't subtract the best point guard in the country, a 4 year jack of all trades sharp shooting wing, a key 5th year guard, and your best post scoring/rebounding presence (stretch 4) and expect to be better. Just doesn't happen.

I totally agree with you. I hate reading posts after great seasons that talk about how we are going to be better after Kemba or after Napier for example.

That being said, we had the best player in the league in Boatright and a surrounding cast that should have been a Tournament team. Not 20-15 or 20-16, whatever they ended up.

Its a losing battle to compare him to Calhoun but by the same hand the gap between them seems huge.

Reaction Score
Yep this time the meltdown might be warranted. This team with this coaching staff right now could lose 20 games this year, maybe more. Look at the schedule and consider who we just lost two games to. Where are the wins coming from?

Reaction Score

I'm worried about Ollie.

The Offense? Brutal.

I haven't noticed a single impact on the recruiting front.
I know the AAC can prevent players from wanting to come, but exposure isn't the issue anymore, go ask Ben Simmons.
How many times did JC have 3 of the top 5 players in the class having UConn in their final 5 or 6.

What do you expect from Facey this year, honestly?
Brimah gets you 8 blocks and 7 rebounds and you call him out of place and clueless?
As a team we are shooting 37.5%FG, 27.5 3P% and 62.1%FT, of course we are losing.

Rodney is avg 6 ppg

So yeah, the blame falls on KO and these losses are an embarrassment to the university. But at the end of the day, the players need to make the plays and we didn't.

How many times did we overreach on a pass/steal attempt leaving a wide open 3? I can think of a stretch in the second half where we did it three possessions in a row.

Reaction Score
I'll tell you what. I'm not upset. I'm not even frustrated. I'm completely satisfied with the run this program has enjoyed. 4 National Titles with a laundry list of conference titles, conference tourney moments, special players, memorable shots and a long time Hall of Fame coach? I'm not upset to see the foundation of that crumbling away. It was a great run.

Let's be honest about it. The conference is light years away from the old Big East. That's not getting better any time soon. The head coach just isn't Jim Calhoun. Maybe he could be someday. Again, not anytime soon for sure. The coaching staff isn't littered with former/future D1 head coaches. Blaney, Miller, Hobbs, Tom Moore, etc. This ain't the same UConn.

Reaction Score
We have a coach that is too stubborn to change his gameplan. He refuses to implement an offense that accommodates our talent. He’s coached brimah and faced for 4 season he should be aware they are poor screeners, and cant get a good shot in the post yet we see every game these guys getting knocked back trying to set screens, and posting up on the block clogging the lane for our perimeter players trying to get a shot at the rim.

Ollie’s offense seems to encourage a late in the shock clock isolation, that usually ends in a wild flurry at the basket or a tough inefficient midrange shot due to our bigs on the block hanging out. the spacing is just terrible a guard can not get a quality look off.

That is not on our players, I don’t care how talented the player is he could be a number 1 pick at on the perimeter. OUR OFFENSE BREEDS INEFFICIENT SHOTS FOR OUT PERIMETER PLAYERS. Yes I know it worked in 2014 with bazz and boats numbers were good in that system but those guys buried tough mid range and long range shots. Those shots can not be relied on.

We called a timeout yesterday with 28 seconds left. You would think Ollie drew a play up, instead we play hot potato with the basketball on the perimeter that ends with Larrier taking a contested out of rhythm 3.

However this part is on our guys, Defense has been uncharacteristically bad, we have perimeter defenders that look like a revolving door out there. Purvis and Larrier should be ashamed of themselves with the god given tools they have along with the NBA aspirations to be beaten by wings from wagner / northeastern, they’ve been a virtual red carpet to the rim. Better believe TJ williams will be sending that uconn game tapes to coaches overseas. We are giving up open 3 point looks all day. Brimah saved our ass yesterday defending the rim.

KO needs to take a hard look at himself in the mirror humble himself and throw this Offense in the garbage. Come out next practice with some real sets for these guys to run. this offensive freedom we have going on isnt working, and making making the players?coaching staff look bad.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I haven't noticed a single impact on the recruiting front.
I know the AAC can prevent players from wanting to come, but exposure isn't the issue anymore, go ask Ben Simmons.
How many times did JC have 3 of the top 5 players in the class having UConn in their final 5 or 6.

What do you expect from Facey this year, honestly?
Brimah gets you 8 blocks and 7 rebounds and you call him out of place and clueless?
As a team we are shooting 37.5%FG, 27.5 3P% and 62.1%FT, of course we are losing.

Rodney is avg 6 ppg

So yeah, the blame falls on KO and these losses are an embarrassment to the university. But at the end of the day, the players need to make the plays and we didn't.

How many times did we overreach on a pass/steal attempt leaving a wide open 3? I can think of a stretch in the second half where we did it three possessions in a row.

Brimah hasn't improved his basketball IQ at all in four seasons. Facey either.

The guy plays hard and can block shots but he constantly sells out for blocks and is usually out of position on D and hasn't learned to box out either. Ditto for Facey. The only time he gets boards is by out jumping the opponent. Enoch? Does it look like he's ever played defense in his life?

Reaction Score
How sad is it that after only 2 games most of us are looking at the AAC tournament as our only path to the NCAA?

Reaction Score
We have a coach that is too stubborn to change his gameplan. He refuses to implement an offense that accommodates our talent. He’s coached brimah and faced for 4 season he should be aware they are poor screeners, and cant get a good shot in the post yet we see every game these guys getting knocked back trying to set screens, and posting up on the block clogging the lane for our perimeter players trying to get a shot at the rim.

Ollie’s offense seems to encourage a late in the shock clock isolation, that usually ends in a wild flurry at the basket or a tough inefficient midrange shot due to our bigs on the block hanging out. the spacing is just terrible a guard can not get a quality look off.

That is not on our players, I don’t care how talented the player is he could be a number 1 pick at on the perimeter. OUR OFFENSE BREEDS INEFFICIENT SHOTS FOR OUT PERIMETER PLAYERS. Yes I know it worked in 2014 with bazz and boats numbers were good in that system but those guys buried tough mid range and long range shots. Those shots can not be relied on.

We called a timeout yesterday with 28 seconds left. You would think Ollie drew a play up, instead we play hot potato with the basketball on the perimeter that ends with Larrier taking a contested out of rhythm 3.

However this part is on our guys, Defense has been uncharacteristically bad, we have perimeter defenders that look like a revolving door out there. Purvis and Larrier should be ashamed of themselves with the god given tools they have along with the NBA aspirations to be beaten by wings from wagner / northeastern, they’ve been a virtual red carpet to the rim. Better believe TJ williams will be sending that uconn game tapes to coaches overseas. We are giving up open 3 point looks all day. Brimah saved our ass yesterday defending the rim.

KO needs to take a hard look at himself in the mirror humble himself and throw this Offense in the garbage. Come out next practice with some real sets for these guys to run. this offensive freedom we have going on isnt working, and making making the players?coaching staff look bad.
The way larrier looked on defense he is years away from playing professionally anywhere. Guy is a red carpet to the rim. Agree with all this.

Reaction Score
Not in panic mode yet but I just don't see where the points are coming from.

Larrier gets points but he takes a lot of tough shots to get them. Can keep you in games but also shoot you out of them.

At this point the seniors are what they are. Role players.

Really have to hope that Jalen can get going and Gilbert and Jackson can handle larger roles this season.

Also from what I saw Vital can be a contributor too.

Reaction Score
These games haven't been on TV for me in Colorado, which is probably a good thing. I think the saddest thing is I'm just not looking forward to the next game, and we're staring at a loss to freakin Chaminade after getting blown out in round one of the Maui Classic. I hope they get it together and we can all laugh at the panic we're all seeing right now.

Reaction Score
These games haven't been on TV for me in Colorado, which is probably a good thing. I think the saddest thing is I'm just not looking forward to the next game, and we're staring at a loss to freakin Chaminade after getting blown out in round one of the Maui Classic. I hope they get it together and we can all laugh at the panic we're all seeing right now.

Don't watch the replays.

You brought up Maui which I've obviously been thinking about a lot lately. As inconceivably horrible as the season has started, the team has six days to prepare for the opportunity to turn the season around. While winning in Maui won't allow us to laugh at losing to Wagner and Northeastern, the opportunity is a glimmer of hope to change directions and salvage what's left of this season.

It's an opportunity to temporarily forget about what has transpired this past week, grow up fast, and compete like high-caliber teams are supposed to.

I know we lost to Wagner and Northeastern at home. We have six days to prepare for Maui. May the force be with us.

Reaction Score
We actually don't have 6 days. We have a cross country flight and play Loyola Marymount in 2 days. For the first time since I've been a UConn fan I'm not overlooking any team on our schedule.

Reaction Score
How sad is it that after only 2 games most of us are looking at the AAC tournament as our only path to the NCAA?

Wipe your p___. It's November 15 for god's sake. This sentiment is appropriate if they the bed in Maui and to Syracuse. Entirely possible, but this maudlin act is premature.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Remember when you guys were all super excited to be playing a true road game at Loyola Marymount and gave me * for saying it was a pointless no win scenario?

Well... LOL lets see how the next game thread goes.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I'll tell you what. I'm not upset. I'm not even frustrated. I'm completely satisfied with the run this program has enjoyed. 4 National Titles with a laundry list of conference titles, conference tourney moments, special players, memorable shots and a long time Hall of Fame coach? I'm not upset to see the foundation of that crumbling away. It was a great run.

Let's be honest about it. The conference is light years away from the old Big East. That's not getting better any time soon. The head coach just isn't Jim Calhoun. Maybe he could be someday. Again, not anytime soon for sure. The coaching staff isn't littered with former/future D1 head coaches. Blaney, Miller, Hobbs, Tom Moore, etc. This ain't the same UConn.
Deepster you of all people...

Dare I say enjoy a mojo sandwich?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
While winning in Maui won't allow us to laugh at losing to Wagner and Northeastern, the opportunity is a glimmer of hope to change directions and salvage what's left of this season.

Its
November
15th

Reaction Score
Wipe your p___. It's November 15 for god's sake. This sentiment is appropriate if they the bed in Maui and to Syracuse. Entirely possible, but this maudlin act is premature.

Not much room for error in this conference, Internet tough guy. Yes, it's November 15...and we have 2 sub 200 RPI losses.

Reaction Score
Its
November
15th
I realize that. I'm not hopping off the ledge. We have plenty of opportunities including the AAC tournament. Just trying to provide some positivity to the situation. Didn't intend to make it sound like the 'the season is over.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom