It's tough being a freshman BBaller at UConn. | The Boneyard

It's tough being a freshman BBaller at UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
It's tough being a college freshman anywhere. But when you are 1,000 miles from home (Banks and Stokes) or 3,000 miles (KML), and you are trying to adjust to all the new freedoms and responsibilities in your life; and you are in a whole new learning atmosphere, and a new social world -- that is a whole lot of "stuff" to figure out (and hopefully to master) at age 18.

And then you have to deal with the time demands of an elite Division 1 athletic program. And your head coach is one of the most demanding coaches in women's college athletics. And you have to learn to play UConn basketball at a speed and precision you have never imagined. Wow, that's a load!

KML, so far as we know, has handled it all with relatively little stress. She's kind of super-human, and has been traveling the world to play high level USA basketball for many years.

For Brianna and Kiah it has been a steep hill to climb. And they have had some tough days, weeks, and months meeting all the expectations of their coaches, teammates, and fans. Both kids went home for Christmas break pretty exhausted and feeling very challenged.

Happily, both returned to UConn after some home cooking, good talks with parents, and time to
get some much needed sleep. They were tested to their limits in the first semester; but they were not quitters. They started in January to play at a much higher level, and with greater consistency. And they didn't look as lost on the court as they had been.

Most Boneyarders have recently seen (and applauded) huge gains by Kia and Brianna over the past few weeks. They have earned more minutes, and their coaches' and teammates' trust. They are making big contributions to their team now. They have a new energy, a bounce in their step, and confidence in the roles they are playing. And, bottom line: UConn is a much more dangerous team now than they were in November and December -- because of the progress Kia and Brianna have made.

Most of the above is pretty obvious to knowledgeable UConn fans. But there is one thing I don't think any of us know. (And I would love to know.) What roles have Geno, CD, Shea and Marisa played in helping Kia and Brianna reach the level they are now operating at -- on the court and most likely in other significant areas of their student life.

How many hours of counsel and friendship have each of the UConn coaches spent helping their freshmen along? How many hugs? How many helpful conversations with their team's academic advisor? How many conversations on a bus or an airplane? How many chats with their parents.

Kia and BB are both in a good place now. They have climbed some steep hills to get where they are.
As a long time headmaster, teacher and coach, I know how big an influence teachers have on their student/athletes.

I am confident that Geno and staff have done a great job of challenging while helping both Kia and Brianna. If we knew more of what goes on with the kids and coaches that is out of our view, I think we would all be impressed and very appreciative of the many ways they are "coaching" our favorite Huskies.

Reaction Score
It's tough being a college freshman anywhere. But when you are 1,000 miles from home (Banks and Stokes) or 3,000 miles (KML), and you are trying to adjust to all the new freedoms and responsibilities in your life; and you are in a whole new learning atmosphere, and a new social world -- that is a whole lot of "stuff" to figure out (and hopefully to master) at age 18.

And then you have to deal with the time demands of an elite Division 1 athletic program. And your head coach is one of the most demanding coaches in women's college athletics. And you have to learn to play UConn basketball at a speed and precision you have never imagined. Wow, that's a load!

KML, so far as we know, has handled it all with relatively little stress. She's kind of super-human, and has been traveling the world to play high level USA basketball for many years.

For Brianna and Kiah it has been a steep hill to climb. And they have had some tough days, weeks, and months meeting all the expectations of their coaches, teammates, and fans. Both kids went home for Christmas break pretty exhausted and feeling very challenged.

Happily, both returned to UConn after some home cooking, good talks with parents, and time to
get some much needed sleep. They were tested to their limits in the first semester; but they were not quitters. They started in January to play at a much higher level, and with greater consistency. And they didn't look as lost on the court as they had been.

Most Boneyarders have recently seen (and applauded) huge gains by Kia and Brianna over the past few weeks. They have earned more minutes, and their coaches' and teammates' trust. They are making big contributions to their team now. They have a new energy, a bounce in their step, and confidence in the roles they are playing. And, bottom line: UConn is a much more dangerous team now than they were in November and December -- because of the progress Kia and Brianna have made.

Most of the above is pretty obvious to knowledgeable UConn fans. But there is one thing I don't think any of us know. (And I would love to know.) What roles have Geno, CD, Shea and Marisa played in helping Kia and Brianna reach the level they are now operating at -- on the court and most likely in other significant areas of their student life.

How many hours of counsel and friendship have each of the UConn coaches spent helping their freshmen along? How many hugs? How many helpful conversations with their team's academic advisor? How many conversations on a bus or an airplane? How many chats with their parents.

Kia and BB are both in a good place now. They have climbed some steep hills to get where they are.
As a long time headmaster, teacher and coach, I know how big an influence teachers have on their student/athletes.

I am confident that Geno and staff have done a great job of challenging while helping both Kia and Brianna. If we knew more of what goes on with the kids and coaches that is out of our view, I think we would all be impressed and very appreciative of the many ways they are "coaching" our favorite Huskies.

Mel Thomas's book, Heart of a Husky offers some interesting insights on the day to day life of a a UConn women's basketball player.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Mel Thomas's book, Heart of a Husky offers some interesting insights on the day to day life of a a UConn women's basketball player.

It sure does. Every UConn fan should have a copy of Mel's book. It's a great read.

You can order it at MELTHOMAS.COM

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
and this is why I hate to see fans get on "ANY" player from ANY team... we have no clue on their daily struggles.

Charde - 3000 miles
Tiff - Fla
Lauren - 3000 miles
MJ - 1500 miles

our daily expections are nowhere near as tough as theirs. applaud them for their effort

thanks for the post OC

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great post - the only thing I would add is Teammates - while everything you say about the process is correct, the one advantage that freshman athletes have over all other freshman is the immediate connection to a group of similarly motivated and driven individuals - some who are at the exact same stage, and others who have been through the process in previous years. I think that also plays a huge role in helping the freshman through the transition - and it starts the day they arrive or even earlier when they visit the year before.
When Geno talks about the type of players Uconn recruits it points to the type of team chemistry we are blessed to see on and off the court.
At a place like Uconn you also have the tradition and the long line of history to help - you immediately 'belong' to something that has been around for as long as you have been alive, and frequently rub shoulders with that past as former players come back to practice, or interview you for news outlets, or just visit. I am sure they share the stories of their freshman struggles and joke and laugh at the coaches antics. It all helps to let them know this is a process you will survive.

Reaction Score
It sure does. Every UConn fan should have a copy of Mel's book. It's a great read.

You can order it at MELTHOMAS.COM

Thanks, Coach.

I just ordered a copy.

(For what is might be worth, I usually buy books from this site: http://www.alibris.com/.)

Their prices are very reasonable.

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
Great post - the only thing I would add is Teammates - while everything you say about the process is correct, the one advantage that freshman athletes have over all other freshman is the immediate connection to a group of similarly motivated and driven individuals - some who are at the exact same stage, and others who have been through the process in previous years. I think that also plays a huge role in helping the freshman through the transition - and it starts the day they arrive or even earlier when they visit the year before.
When Geno talks about the type of players Uconn recruits it points to the type of team chemistry we are blessed to see on and off the court.
At a place like Uconn you also have the tradition and the long line of history to help - you immediately 'belong' to something that has been around for as long as you have been alive, and frequently rub shoulders with that past as former players come back to practice, or interview you for news outlets, or just visit. I am sure they share the stories of their freshman struggles and joke and laugh at the coaches antics. It all helps to let them know this is a process you will survive.
I am most proud of how our young ladies act on and off the court, win or lose.
Too many times you see some other teams players give a hard foul ( intentional or not) and don't even turn around to see if that palyer is injured. Yuo see our ladies help the opposing teams palyer up more times than not.

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
and this is why I hate to see fans get on "ANY" player from ANY team... we have no clue on their daily struggles.

Charde - 3000 miles
Tiff - Fla
Lauren - 3000 miles
MJ - 1500 miles

our daily expections are nowhere near as tough as theirs. applaud them for their effort

thanks for the post OC

+10

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Thank you OC and DC - very well put and should be kept in mind by all!

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score

Charde - 3000 miles
Tiff - Fla
Lauren - 3000 miles
MJ - 1500 miles

thanks for the post OC

Thank you, DaddyChoc.

Your perspective is exactly the kind of response I was hoping to generate.

"Our kids" are the best of the best. They deserve our respect and appreciation every day.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Many thanks to OC for this post. We fans have no idea what these young athletes are going through day to day in order to succeed in school, on the court and in their social circles. They are quite remarkable.

Reaction Score
it will be interesting to see how deep the team really is next season

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
it will be interesting to see how deep the team really is next season

It will be very deep. Bring your aqua-lung to the games.

You'll need it to see what is going on under water.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
I grew up in the Bronx and went to college at CCNY by subway**. Never had the experience of living away from home during my college years. So trying to imagine what it is like for the UConn players in their freshman season is difficult. As pointed out, they are usually far from home, living in an alien environment, having to practice and travel frequently, and yet also expected to do very well in their school work. THAT is not easy, especially at age 18 and having just left home! We have to admire these kids because they are operating under a lot of stress.

**Incidentally, an early interesting exposure to college basketball occurred for me in my college years in the early 1960s when I became friends with a future NBA great, Happy Hairston of NYU and the Los Angeles Lakers (also the Royals and the Pistons). Harold Hairston was from North Carolina and was attending classes in NYU's Washington Square campus, but the basketball court was in the University Heights section of the Bronx where I lived (the campus is now Bronx Community College). I met Harold on the subway and we used to stop at the local candy store on Burnside Ave., and drink cokes before he went off to practice. Harold was a great guy. I was very sad to see that he died in 2001.

Reaction Score
I grew up in the Bronx and went to college at CCNY by subway**. Never had the experience of living away from home during my college years. So trying to imagine what it is like for the UConn players in their freshman season is difficult. As pointed out, they are usually far from home, living in an alien environment, having to practice and travel frequently, and yet also expected to do very well in their school work. THAT is not easy, especially at age 18 and having just left home! We have to admire these kids because they are operating under a lot of stress.

**Incidentally, an early interesting exposure to college basketball occurred for me in my college years in the early 1960s when I became friends with a future NBA great, Happy Hairston of NYU and the Los Angeles Lakers (also the Royals and the Pistons). Harold Hairston was from North Carolina and was attending classes in NYU's Washington Square campus, but the basketball court was in the University Heights section of the Bronx where I lived (the campus is now Bronx Community College). I met Harold on the subway and we used to stop at the local candy store on Burnside Ave., and drink cokes before he went off to practice. Harold was a great guy. I was very sad to see that he died in 2001.

NYU had some very good teams when Hairston played there. Think of how times have changed. Back then, Hairston had to go to school up north to play major college basketball.

Back in 1967, our Senior Little League team played a game at McCombs Dam Park, then played a very good team from Haverstraw at the NYU baseball field at 180th and University(From Penn Sation, took the A train to the D train to the 4 train) on the way to winning the Senior Little League World Series in Des Moines.(BTW, I was not on that team, but was on the team the following year that lost in the third round. The umpire called the game due to darkness with the score tied and runners in scoring position. However, we had to go back to the last complete inning)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom