Its too bad our OLine has been awful | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Its too bad our OLine has been awful

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Dan, like I said I don't knock the kid because he is a tough SOB, who has a ton of heart. He wasn't the reason we lost today, but that pick today was the perfect example. We get the ball down three 11 minutes to go with all the momentum. He locks onto Foxx and throws a terrible int. The back breaking turnover is always lurking with him. It just is.

That was a bad pick. The issue I have with focusing on the pick is that it doesn't look at the fact that we lost another 14 points from turnovers elsewhere (fumble and Davis strip). Furthermore, it doesn't look at the fact that the kid had a very good day today, ending up with a 125 QB rating and some kudos from a former NFL pro wide receiver. I'm not sure people on this board are ready to admit when he actually does a GOOD job!!!

(I'm not calling you out on that, but there are many others)

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Whitmer makes things as hard for the OLine as they do for him. Loves to just hang around in the pocket and acts surprised when he's sacked after standing around for 5 seconds.
Are the RB making things hard for the OL as well - 36 carries for 48 yards???

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Are the RB making things hard for the OL as well - 36 carries for 48 yards???

There were nine sacks in the game which reduced our total running yards by ~75-100 (in college sacks are deducted from running stats, not passing). If our blocking was a bit more consistent we would put up very good numbers on the run game.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
There were nine sacks in the game which reduced our total running yards by ~75-100 (in college sacks are deducted from running stats, not passing). If our blocking was a bit more consistent we would put up very good numbers on the run game.

Max DeLorenzo10434.3019
Ron Johnson11313.0013
Joshua Marriner6111.806
Arkeel Newsome530.606
Tim Boyle1-9-9.000
Chandler Whitmer13-13-1.0011
Team36481.3019

I don't see the -75 /100 yards. Can you help me understand the missing -75 yards so I can be a better football fan. Are Whitmer negative sack yardage included here or not???

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=400547661

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

While you are correct with how the sacks are counted, it only affects the QB's rushing numbers when looked at individually in the box score. So in other words, the running backs combined for 70 yards on 22 carries (3.2 yards per carry). The only person who was really hurt by the number reduction was Whitmer, who had gained 33 yards on 4 carries (8.3 ypc) when the sacks are removed from the rushes.

The reason that I am writing all this is because the last two weeks have featured our QB as the top rusher and second highest rusher respectively, and that can't continue to happen...

Bonehead

Reaction Score
So Whitmer shows 13 rushes for -13. Are sack yardage part of those numbers??

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
So Whitmer shows 13 rushes for -13. Are sack yardage part of those numbers??

Yes. They subtract from his rushing yards. In order to get his rushing numbers, you have to subtract the sacks from his total, or the easier way, is go through the "play by play" section and count up where they say "Whitmer rushes for ___". Add up those attempts and yardage, and you'll get the true rushing numbers for the QB's...

Reaction Score
Oh Christ, dude... He does 10 things right and one thing wrong and you want to bench him...
Instead of belly aching about Chandler, just spend your time on our atrocious offensive line and we can maybe get somewhere.
If he did ten things right I would be on his side. He is not a good QB.

He actually makes the line worse. He doesn't make quick decisions.He is too short to see over it so he can't see the field. And he runs into pressure as often as he runs away from pressure. All of these contribute to sacks.

Reaction Score
Running DeLorenzo up the gut seemed to be our best option. We finally moved some people at the beginning of the second half which seemed to open up the pass game a little more. I think that maybe they were saving that for the second half. You can only ask for improvement week to week.

Hopefully it will work both ways. Whitmer stays in the pocket a little longer and the the line holds them up another second

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Max DeLorenzo10434.3019
Ron Johnson11313.0013
Joshua Marriner6111.806
Arkeel Newsome530.606
Tim Boyle1-9-9.000
Chandler Whitmer13-13-1.0011
Team36481.3019

I don't see the -75 /100 yards. Can you help me understand the missing -75 yards so I can be a better football fan. Are Whitmer negative sack yardage included here or not???

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=400547661

I stand (slightly) corrected on the ~75-100 yards. The actual yards lost (per CBS Sportsline's play by play, which was a pain to go through but the only way to identify the individual sacks and yards lost) was 55. Nine sacks for losses of 2, 4, 9, 6, 4, 10, 7, 10 & 3 yards respectively. One of the sacks (nine yards) was Boyle, attributing negative 46 rushing yards to Whitmer. As he is listed as having 13 carries (for -13 yards) 35 positive rushing yards on five carries makes sense (as three were three runs for 9-10 yards each).

As far as being a better football fan, if you want to be snarky on a Sunday morning, well.....

Bonehead

Reaction Score
I stand (slightly) corrected on the ~75-100 yards. The actual yards lost (per CBS Sportsline's play by play, which was a pain to go through but the only way to identify the individual sacks and yards lost) was 55. Nine sacks for losses of 2, 4, 9, 6, 4, 10, 7, 10 & 3 yards respectively. One of the sacks (nine yards) was Boyle, attributing negative 46 rushing yards to Whitmer. As he is listed as having 13 carries (for -13 yards) 35 positive rushing yards on five carries makes sense (as three were three runs for 9-10 yards each).

As far as being a better football fan, if you want to be snarky on a Sunday morning, well.....
I am always snarky the day after a loss - apology out there for you -

I just wanted to make sure the rushing stats had the sacks accounted for. Honestly those are lessened due to his ability to be mobile. If it was -75 and he ended up -13 he had a damn good day being mobile.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
it is atrocious. #60 doesn't even block on some plays. Can't blame Whitmer for everything.
Yes we can.

Townson loss - Whitmer
BYU loss - Whitmer
Davis on bench - Whitmer
ISIS - Whitmer.

Reaction Score
So so is being a bit generous. I believe he has a very high upside but there is quite a bit of development necessary.

Knappe's inexperience showed. Too bad he missed the first 2 games but now he has some game tape to look at and along with his physical recovery he's going to be a load by mid-season. OL is a mindset and a bunch of small details that need to be translated into technique and instinct and a mean streak. I hope somebody who has been doing it all their lives is whispering in his ear about how much fun it is to pancake 2 guys on one play.

Reaction Score
It looked like we used 2 pairs of tackles, not sure, Knappe and Levy started then Rutherford and Gifford were paired?Knappe seemed pretty active with his hands, will need to stay lower.

Reaction Score
This November on black Friday we get the person that out muscles everyone to get the only 99 dollar plasma tv at best buy. I want that person on the o line

Reaction Score
Watch the game closely and you will see that the high majority of the sacks are not the fault of the offensive line. They are a direct result of CW not staying in the pocket and keeping his eyes downfield. Look at the difference in sacks and pressures between the snaps CW and CC

Reaction Score
To put a little more perspective on Whitmer's legs today:

If you take away the yardage lost from the 8 sacks, Whitmer would have finished with 33 yards on 4 carries. That would have put him second in rushing on the team, only 10 yards behind DeLorenzo. If anyone thinks that his "happy feet" were a problem today, they aren't good at locating problems...

His happy feet effect way more than just the plays that he runs for positive yards. Too often he is trying to escape a solid pocket just because his first read is covered. Way too often. He has no ability to sense pressure and avoid pressure while keep his eyes downfield. For those 33 yards he gained because he escaped, he lost about 100 in either getting sacked, or panicking and trying to escape only to throw the ball away when he had guys open. I agree with those who say he has a good arm and when he sits in a deep pocket and can see the rushers in front of him he is fine. He just assumes to often that if the D ends speed rush up field and he can't see them that they have beaten the tackles and he is about to get sacked from behind. You have to trust your line, even if they aren't the greatest.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
His happy feet effect way more than just the plays that he runs for positive yards. Too often he is trying to escape a solid pocket just because his first read is covered. Way too often. He has no ability to sense pressure and avoid pressure while keep his eyes downfield. For those 33 yards he gained because he escaped, he lost about 100 in either getting sacked, or panicking and trying to escape only to throw the ball away when he had guys open. I agree with those who say he has a good arm and when he sits in a deep pocket and can see the rushers in front of him he is fine. He just assumes to often that if the D ends speed rush up field and he can't see them that they have beaten the tackles and he is about to get sacked from behind. You have to trust your line, even if they aren't the greatest.

Yup, you have to trust your line. Even after you've picked yourself up off of the ground 8 times in a single game. Yup.

Quite frankly, I'm tired of even arguing the point. If you want to like Whitmer, go ahead. If you don't want to, go ahead. This won't be the first occasion that The Boneyard has rallied against someone, and I'm sure it won't be the last...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom