OT: - It's time for golf | The Boneyard

OT: It's time for golf

Reaction Score
Seems this forum could use a brief shift in focus, and fortunately golf season is nearly upon us. In fact, I got to play 18 at Blue Fox, in Avon yesterday. I'll say this for Blue Fox, it drains really well. Actually, it's pretty wide open, so a great place to use all your clubs early in the season. I only lost 6 balls, so it was a good day.

I also think it would be great if David Faherty covered college basketball in addition to golf. Here's some of his best quotes:

David Feherty quotes

“That ball is so far left, Lassie couldn’t find it if it was wrapped in bacon.”

“I am sorry Nick Faldo couldn’t be here this week. He is attending the birth of his next wife.”

“They don’t do comedy at the Masters. The Masters, for me, is like holding onto a really big collection of gas for a week. It’s like having my buttocks surgically clenched at Augusta General Hospital on Wednesday, and surgically unclenched on Monday on the way to Hilton Head.”

Jim Furyk’s swing – “It looks like an octopus falling out of a tree.”

“He’s (Luke Donald) a bloody walking ATM. I slid my AmEx between the cheeks of his and out popped $500.”

“That’s a great shot with that swing.”

“It’s OK – the bunker stopped it.”

“Fortunately, he (Rory) is 22 years old so his right wrist should be the strongest muscle in his body.”

At Augusta 2011 – “It’s just a glorious day. The only way to ruin a day like this would be to play golf on it.”

“That was a great shot – if they’d put the pin there today.”

“Everything moves except his bowels.”

“Watching Phil Mickelson play golf is like watching a drunk chasing a balloon near the edge of a cliff.”

“That green appears smaller than a Pygmie’s nipple”.

Reaction Score
Played Winnapaug twice and Lyman Jones as well the last 2-3 weeks. Had Topstone yesterday and East Mountain in Westfield on the docket but Covid cancelled those. Good to hear about Blue Fox we were concerned about a few of the holes by the river this early. Thanks for the post get away from the depressing basketball stuff dp.

It is pretty wide open wondering where you lost those 6 balls, plugging? :eek:

Reaction Score
There was one hole with a temporary green near the river, but when I took my golf shoes off, to my surprise, they were absolutely clean.

The 6 lost balls were simply lack of talent.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Just took my clubs out of storage and plan to knock the rust off at the driving range in next week just in time for my first time being part of a golf league to start.

Reaction Score
I got all new clubs last fall, but only played a few times because my elbow was shot. The elbow feels good again, so ready to go!

Reaction Score
Played Winnapaug twice and Lyman Jones as well the last 2-3 weeks. Had Topstone yesterday and East Mountain in Westfield on the docket but Covid cancelled those. Good to hear about Blue Fox we were concerned about a few of the holes by the river this early. Thanks for the post get away from the depressing basketball stuff dp.

It is pretty wide open wondering where you lost those 6 balls, plugging? :eek:
You had covid? You ok?

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
In the market for a fitting and new sticks this year. Really looking forward to golf, I’ve been watching the professionals every weekend, hoping to improve my game by osmosis. :rolleyes:

Glad you’re feeling OK Mau. I had it late January, just a nasty flu.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
So far just bad flu like symptoms 68 thanks. Tested positive Thursday morning felt sicker about 9:30 Thursday evening after the loss lol..... I’m ok cough, sore throat but feeling better thanks for asking
Mau any signs of worsening in the first 3 to 5 days try and get one of the antivirals. After that they don't work

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Plan on hitting the range today at some point although my wife also signed us up for coed softball which starts today. Trying to commit to golf more this year though so I joined a Tuesday night 9 hole league at a club down here in PA with my bros-in-law who will do anything to get out of the house…and drink. Got a new bag and gloves for Christmas and I bought a new driver late last year that I haven’t used yet. So at least I’ll look the part before shanking balls into the woods…

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I played in a St Pat's tournament on Thursday and played pretty much like our boys did Thursday night. My partner played even though is first Grandchild was about to be born and was getting minute by minute updates. The baby was born just after we finished 17 and before we teed off watched a short video of the baby and shots of Irish were had. After a couple of lackluster drives, he chips it in for an eagle and our only skin of the day!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Finishing up a weeklong golfcation in Myrtle Beach. Six days of golf between North Myrtle, Murrell's Inlet and Pawley Island.

Went relatively well. Had one day of 14 missed putts inside of 4', six 3 putt holes and 38 putts overall. Next day I start off hole #1 with an 89' bomb from the fringe. Later one I hit another 60'+ putts from the fringe.

Still playing Srixon Q Star Tour balls. Converted driver and 3-wood over to PXG a few months ago. GEN 4 0311 XF with stock shaft and grip.

Need to change out wedges this year. Shafts are starting to flake with rust.

As far as goals, consistent driving is key to everything.

Reaction Score
Seems this forum could use a brief shift in focus, and fortunately golf season is nearly upon us. In fact, I got to play 18 at Blue Fox, in Avon yesterday. I'll say this for Blue Fox, it drains really well. Actually, it's pretty wide open, so a great place to use all your clubs early in the season. I only lost 6 balls, so it was a good day.

I also think it would be great if David Faherty covered college basketball in addition to golf. Here's some of his best quotes:

David Feherty quotes

“That ball is so far left, Lassie couldn’t find it if it was wrapped in bacon.”

“I am sorry Nick Faldo couldn’t be here this week. He is attending the birth of his next wife.”

“They don’t do comedy at the Masters. The Masters, for me, is like holding onto a really big collection of gas for a week. It’s like having my buttocks surgically clenched at Augusta General Hospital on Wednesday, and surgically unclenched on Monday on the way to Hilton Head.”

Jim Furyk’s swing – “It looks like an octopus falling out of a tree.”

“He’s (Luke Donald) a bloody walking ATM. I slid my AmEx between the cheeks of his and out popped $500.”

“That’s a great shot with that swing.”

“It’s OK – the bunker stopped it.”

“Fortunately, he (Rory) is 22 years old so his right wrist should be the strongest muscle in his body.”

At Augusta 2011 – “It’s just a glorious day. The only way to ruin a day like this would be to play golf on it.”

“That was a great shot – if they’d put the pin there today.”

“Everything moves except his bowels.”

“Watching Phil Mickelson play golf is like watching a drunk chasing a balloon near the edge of a cliff.”

“That green appears smaller than a Pygmie’s nipple”.
Time to start arguing if Jack was the greatest ever, or if the golden age of golf was 50 or 60 years ago.

Reaction Score
Mau any signs of worsening in the first 3 to 5 days try and get one of the antivirals. After that they don't work
I’m on day 4 worst thing is tired and sore throat. Coughing is not worse just occasional I’m kinda the same I guess at this point. Took a walk in the woods with the pup where no one else would be yesterday and admittedly tired after about 2 miles easier but that’s expected. I’m not bad just a pain in the ass bad cold.

Thanks

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Time to start arguing if Jack was the greatest ever, or if the golden age of golf was 50 or 60 years ago.

At this point Tiger has no chance of catching g Jack's total major wins, or Jack's number of swcond places in majors. Jack has the best golf career ever but peak Tiger was more dominant.
Jack had more top level competition to beat, Tiger probably played against deeper fields.

Reaction Score
At this point Tiger has no chance of catching g Jack's total major wins, or Jack's number of swcond places in majors. Jack has the best golf career ever but peak Tiger was more dominant.
Jack had more top level competition to beat, Tiger probably played against deeper fields.
Agree with most of what you said, but I wouldn’t say peak Tiger was more dominant against easier competition since no one in the top ten in Tigers day could barely keep up with him. Tiger didn’t have 6 or 7 golfing legends like Lee Trevino, Gary Player, Arnold Palmer, Sam Sneed, Tom Watson, Billy Casper, or Tony Lema (who died tragically at age 32) who could beat him on any given day. If Payne Stewart had not died tragically in 1999 right after he beat Mickelson and Woods at the Open, that definitely would have beefed up the competition for Tiger going forward at least for a few years as Stewart was 42 when he died.
Against better competition (at least in the top 10-15, though nowadays the overall fields are deeper) Nicklaus still managed to finish as the runner up in 19 majors, and of those 19, five of them went to a playoff and in several more he lost by one stroke. Tiger only had seven 2nd place finishes.

The thing about Nicklaus that still amazes me is his humbleness and staying out of the limelight. I still remember his speech at Augusta to the fans in 1986 right after he came out of nowhere to win his last major. Tried finding it on the web but had no luck. If anyone can find it, please post it, says a lot about the man.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just came back from South Carolina where I did not play golf. Lots of clubs on the baggage claim at Logan though. Did see some folks out playing, weather was nice.

Still waiting to find out if my local 9 hole course less than a mile away is about to become a subdivision. That would put a crimp in my golf plans this year.

Soliciting feedback on the two (Nickalaus, Rees Jones) courses at Pinehills in Plymouth, MA. Anybody has thoughts please share. Considering moving to that community. I like that its not purely a private club as that’s an annual expense I don’t need.

Reaction Score
Weather has been great here in NC, just really windy.
20220320_130119_resized.jpg
20220320_130207_resized.jpg

Reaction Score
Just came back from South Carolina where I did not play golf. Lots of clubs on the baggage claim at Logan though. Did see some folks out playing, weather was nice.

Still waiting to find out if my local 9 hole course less than a mile away is about to become a subdivision. That would put a crimp in my golf plans this year.

Soliciting feedback on the two (Nickalaus, Rees Jones) courses at Pinehills in Plymouth, MA. Anybody has thoughts please share. Considering moving to that community. I like that its not purely a private club as that’s an annual expense I don’t need.
It’s pretty flat, that much I know. Maybe a couple sand hills but that’s it, I mean it’s not the Karakoram like some courses I’ve played on.

Reaction Score

Both excellent tracks HH would recommend anytime. The whole Plymouth area is excellent for golf.

Reaction Score
Can't wait to get back to playing golf. Had major surgery on my foot in November and just back to walking without crutches. Thank god for the fantasy golf league I am in. Keeps me interested in the off season, plus since I have Cameron Smith on my team, I made a little money last week. Best fantasy league I have ever been in.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It’s pretty flat, that much I know. Maybe a couple sand hills but that’s it, I mean it’s not the Karakoram like some courses I’ve played on.
Both excellent tracks HH would recommend anytime. The whole Plymouth area is excellent for golf.
Flat is good. I like to walk when I can. Lots of other courses and cape is close. That’s part of the appeal. More or less priced out of the cape

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom