It's This Year -- Not Next Year | The Boneyard

It's This Year -- Not Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
One last thought on the season before focus goes entirely to the tailgate and UMass. On a number of threads, people have said things like 2012 is the bounceback, good solid year and then watch out in 2013. Without in any way doubting that we are seeing some positive improvements in recruiting, and without in any way limiting where P and his staff might take us in time, I see it very differently.

We will line up Thursday night with seven senior starters on defense. Seven. Counting Shamar Stephen (and not Campenni) as a starter, we will return only him, Smallwood and the two Safeties. And while I expect not to be worried by then about the new LBs, we will have huge question marks at both DE spots and both corners. On O, we lose a more manageable four starters (Bennett and Masters on the line, the two Sr. TEs, Michael Smith and Nick Williams), but that's not minor either. As I sit here today, I know we will step back at TE, I may assume we replace the WRs o.k. (being optimistic) but my questions at OL and backup TB remain for now. And that's not even worrying about QB play. And, besides our roster, RU and Louisville are clearly moving forward at the moment with their overall talent levels and we lose conference mediocrity in Pitt and junk in Syracuse and replace it with, among others, Boise State. And our OOC schedule includes Michigan.

My point is only this: even if you firmly believe in the direction this program is going (I go into this season on the fence but that's not the point), this year presents us with an opportunity to win the conference and go back to the BCS that may not exist in 2013 (even if a Big East champ goes to a BCS game after this season). While I have predicted we won't, it is far from impossible to think that we can shut down opponents defensively and pull it off this year. Next year will be much, much less likely.

So every game this year needs to be life and death. Starting in 48 hours. (I just hope the death part doesn't come from undercooking seafood in the parking lot).

Reaction Score
I disagree with the "much, much less likely" part, but yes, I do think that UConn is in better shape to contend this year than next year.

I think that there is plenty of young talent on the roster, but this year will be telling.

Reaction Score
Our OOC schedule this year is pretty similar to last year. We lost 3 of those games because of dumb plays and coaching errors. If we can turn around 2 of those results we are at 4-1 OOC. Think our conference record will be similar 3-4 (wins versus Temple, SU and either UC or Pitt). Final record 7-5.

Reaction Score
Our defense takes a big hit next year. Offense skill positions should be even better than hopefully they are this year.

This is our best shot.

Reaction Score
It's not this year, next year or the year after that, it's every year. Regardless of who you lose or keep, the coaches adjust the schemes to fit the best personel on the roster, yeah the TE's will take a hit, but it's possible that the coaches will shift some of their responsibilities to full backs, tail backs or H backs, you bring your personel along and adjust as they grow, add more wr sets etc.

It doesn't matter who's on the schedule, it's this year and every year.

pj

Reaction Score
I agree that this year is a great opportunity. Next year it does look like the talent level will be down a bit, but maybe young guys will step up and maybe an extra year's experience on offense will mean a lot.

I think this year's schedule is tough in that we get the 3 best teams in the conference on the road, and those 3 teams are all better than every team we played last year except West Virginia. It's true that in 2013 we have Michigan, but that's at most one loss. The rest of the schedule may be easier than this year. Boise hasn't appeared on the schedule yet.

So I'm not going to write off 2013 for at least a year. In the mean time, there will be plenty to enjoy this year. It could become the best year in UConn football history. I'm excited.

Reaction Score
This is the year - always.

Aren't you dudes aware the world ends on December 21? Hope we're bowl eligible.

Reaction Score
I agree with BL 100%, and also like Pal's cliche, "This is the year - always." But this is the year to "shock the world" (thanks khalid).

10-2 and rock the Orange Bowl - can u imagine 20k Huskies showing college football that we are for real in Miami? Priceless!

Reaction Score
This is the year - always.

Aren't you dudes aware the world ends on December 21? Hope we're bowl eligible.

So does that mean we should hope for a bid to St. Pete where we can get the game in? No point worrying about saving money then.

Reaction Score
If we're not in contention this year, with this group of players I'll be disappointed in the coaching. The only thing that would change my stance on that is if Whitmer continues the trend of below QB play.

Get ready boys, we're going back to the BCS. The pieces are in place, and when we get there this year they won't be talking about an "undeserving UConn" team. This will be our breakout year.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I agree that this year is a great opportunity. Next year it does look like the talent level will be down a bit, but maybe young guys will step up and maybe an extra year's experience on offense will mean a lot.

I guess I'm being nitpicky but I would argue that in 2013 we'll have less experience but not necessarily less talent. As you say, athletes will step up, whether it be Ashiru and Vann or Mack and Stephenson on the defensive side - and on offense, as others have noted, we'll have most of the key skill players for many years to come with the exception of TE.

One of the reasons people are excited about this year's defense is that this is Year 2 of Don Brown. Well, 2013 will be Year 3 of Don Brown - we'll just have different guys executing.

But in the meantime, let's win it all in 2012...

Reaction Score
The league will be better next year, especially if Boise, Houston and SMU are on our schedule, plus there will be one extra championship game to get the BCS bid.

Our offense in theory should be better next year because Whitmer will have a year under his belt and we return all of our RB's and top receiver, assuming Phillips is our top receiver, depth on OL should improve

Our defense probably drops a notch next year because we lose some great players.

The goal this year should be to win every game.

Reaction Score
Coach P needs to deliver the goods. Recruiting is nice, but wins and losses are the true measuring stick.

Reaction Score
One last thought on the season before focus goes entirely to the tailgate and UMass. On a number of threads, people have said things like 2012 is the bounceback, good solid year and then watch out in 2013. Without in any way doubting that we are seeing some positive improvements in recruiting, and without in any way limiting where P and his staff might take us in time, I see it very differently.

We will line up Thursday night with seven senior starters on defense. Seven. Counting Shamar Stephen (and not Campenni) as a starter, we will return only him, Smallwood and the two Safeties. And while I expect not to be worried by then about the new LBs, we will have huge question marks at both DE spots and both corners. On O, we lose a more manageable four starters (Bennett and Masters on the line, the two Sr. TEs, Michael Smith and Nick Williams), but that's not minor either. As I sit here today, I know we will step back at TE, I may assume we replace the WRs o.k. (being optimistic) but my questions at OL and backup TB remain for now. And that's not even worrying about QB play. And, besides our roster, RU and Louisville are clearly moving forward at the moment with their overall talent levels and we lose conference mediocrity in Pitt and junk in Syracuse and replace it with, among others, Boise State. And our OOC schedule includes Michigan.

My point is only this: even if you firmly believe in the direction this program is going (I go into this season on the fence but that's not the point), this year presents us with an opportunity to win the conference and go back to the BCS that may not exist in 2013 (even if a Big East champ goes to a BCS game after this season). While I have predicted we won't, it is far from impossible to think that we can shut down opponents defensively and pull it off this year. Next year will be much, much less likely.

So every game this year needs to be life and death. Starting in 48 hours. (I just hope the death part doesn't come from undercooking seafood in the parking lot).

What am I missing? Two days ago you predicted 8-4 (4-3) and now you're saying every game is life and death ...

Can't we predict one thing for this season ... and hope for another? I hope they go 13-0. I think they'll go 8-4 (4-3) ... lose a couple of close games, and come back next year even stronger. I'm not afraid of Michigan and Maryland at the Rent next year, especially with most offensive skill positions returning, and I think that momentum and confidence will carry them through the conference schedule. I emphasize confidence and momentum ... you emphasize returning defensive starters and strength of schedule.

You have now gone on record stating why you think this season has the potential to be better then next year. So I expect your 2013 prediction thread to be less than 8-4 (4-3) ... and I'd be willing to offer up a 6 pack of Charter Oak Brown Ale as a token of my confidence. :)

pj

Reaction Score
You have now gone on record stating why you think this season has the potential to be better then next year. So I expect your 2013 prediction thread to be less than 8-4 (4-3) ... and I'd be willing to offer up a 6 pack of Charter Oak Brown Ale as a token of my confidence. :)

After this season goes 10-2, his prediction for next year will be 8-4.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
While I think the talent level is improving in leaps and bounds, I agree with the OP on this year, in part because of the conference situation. There is no WVU in the league and Boise is not joining until next year. Cincinnati, USF and Louisville are all likely to be better next year than they are this one. 1/4 of this year's Big East, Syracuse and Temple, will be pretty bad, and Pitt won't be much better. Pitt and Syracuse will be gone next year.

Houston, SMU and SDSU are seeing a big jump in recruiting, particularly Houston. If BYU and Air Force join the league, as expected, there will be a lot of teams capable of winning the conference, just in shear numbers, with Boise and BYU a big jump above UConn, and Louisville and Cincinnati close to that level on a yearly basis. Even in the "up" year, UConn will have a very tough time winning the conference with so many quality programs in the league.

This year, UConn has 4 schools to beat. This would be a good year to win the league.

Reaction Score
Biz and Nelson are right.

We could have a better team next year with a worse record because the conference will be tougher next year. With 17 seniors on the roster, we should get the leadership we need to compete and potentially win a few of the road games we've always struggled with.

Reaction Score
What am I missing? Two days ago you predicted 8-4 (4-3) and now you're saying every game is life and death ...

Can't we predict one thing for this season ... and hope for another? I hope they go 13-0. I think they'll go 8-4 (4-3) ... lose a couple of close games, and come back next year even stronger. I'm not afraid of Michigan and Maryland at the Rent next year, especially with most offensive skill positions returning, and I think that momentum and confidence will carry them through the conference schedule. I emphasize confidence and momentum ... you emphasize returning defensive starters and strength of schedule.

What am I missing. I made my prediction for the year. I then added, in response to what some others have said, that our odds of winning the conference this year are better than they will be next year. How is that mutually inconsistent?

Reaction Score
What am I missing. I made my prediction for the year. I then added, in response to what some others have said, that our odds of winning the conference this year are better than they will be next year. How is that mutually inconsistent?

How can you say the odds are in our favor this year over next? You can't possibly know the variables for next year or any year. The schedule doesn't matter, the number of seniors don't matter, no one know may get injured or transfer in or out, or what class of recruits is going to make an impact.

This is just absurd to keep debating to prove your right.

Reaction Score
People talk crap about the Big East (and I can see why), but it's pretty fun being in a league where every team legitimately thinks they have a shot at winning it and going to the BCS.

pj

Reaction Score
Biz and Nelson are right.

We could have a better team next year with a worse record because the conference will be tougher next year. With 17 seniors on the roster, we should get the leadership we need to compete and potentially win a few of the road games we've always struggled with.

Winning the conference will be tougher next year because the conference will have 12 teams instead of 8. I am not convinced that our schedule will be tougher. I think our schedule may be easier. We'll argue that when it comes out.

Here's the schedule as is: http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-13/big-east/2013-connecticut-huskies-football-schedule.php. Michigan is a loss. Towson and Buffalo are wins. Maryland should be improved next year but we get them at home, so probably a better chance to win. As for the conference additions, for every Boise and Houston there's a Memphis and SDSU. This year we have the top 3 teams in the conference on the road and more conference road games than home games; next year we'll have equal home and road games and will have a 50-50 chance of getting top teams at home.

Reaction Score

Fair enough ... I just didn't think predictions could be debated right or wrong until they could be compared to the actual results.

Anyway ... I am still willing to wager a 6 pack of Charter Oak Brown Ale that you will not predict anything worse than 8-4 (4-3) next year. Either way I'll win because I'll probably take one for myself before handing you the rest ... and if bigeastconf is there then you can take one and hand him the rest! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom