It's the off-season... | The Boneyard

It's the off-season...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Here is my annual "it's the off-season" post.

During the regular season, the board is pretty tolerant of off-topic threads but they tend to be at a minimum because there's so many other things to discuss. But now that the season is over, we will run out of stuff to talk about especially those folks that don't follow the WNBA or recruiting. So, feel free to post OT threads in addition to discussions about UConn and UConn alum, the WNBA, the European league, etc. In the past we've debated best pizza (a topic almost as volatile as Red Sox vs Yankees), discussed college majors, careers, vacations....so many topics I can't remember. If there's something you've wondered about your fellow Boneyarders, ask away. Please do remember to steer clear of politics & religion; those threads will be moved to the Cesspool.

The off-season is also a great time for fans to learn more about basketball in general. Don't know the difference between a small forward and a power forward? What are people talking about when they call say someone is an off-guard? If you've wondered about this stuff, go ahead and ask. RESPONDERS - please be kind to the people asking questions and remember there was a time you needed to learn these things, too. Any posts that put down a person asking questions should be Reported (click on the link at the bottom of the post that says Report) and it will flag the post for moderators.

Are people interested in a Lurker Day? We didn't have one last year (my fault). For those who don't know, Lurker Day is a period of time, usually 4-6 hours, when only posters with less than 75 posts can talk on the board. That means that none of our resident know-it-alls can dominate a conversation. I know in the past some people have objected to the term Lurker but all that means is someone who tends to read more than post. It doesn't mean you hang around in street corners with nothing but a raincoat on :)

So, enjoy the board in the off-season. It can get quite lively here and I do like that we have more visitors from other schools. I hope more of you come out of Lurk mode.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That lurker idea is a very good one. It's a great way for people that don't post as much to go for it and gain some confidence.
Great idea!!!
It used to be a regular feature each summer, before I started working full time. Mods need to nudge "regular" posters off the board to give the less experienced posters some breathing room. Some of our former lurkers found it not so intimidating to post after all and have become more frequent posters. A win-win, IMO.

Reaction Score
Is Yankees-Red Sox considered religion?
Very, very cute!
I'd say more so from one side, than the other!
But it should be a good, competitive season between the two arch rivals.
Bronx23

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Here is a plug for the quizzes provide by His Eminence The Wire Chief.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Here is my annual "it's the off-season" post.

During the regular season, the board is pretty tolerant of off-topic threads but they tend to be at a minimum because there's so many other things to discuss. But now that the season is over, we will run out of stuff to talk about especially those folks that don't follow the WNBA or recruiting. So, feel free to post OT threads in addition to discussions about UConn and UConn alum, the WNBA, the European league, etc. In the past we've debated best pizza (a topic almost as volatile as Red Sox vs Yankees), discussed college majors, careers, vacations....so many topics I can't remember. If there's something you've wondered about your fellow Boneyarders, ask away. Please do remember to steer clear of politics & religion; those threads will be moved to the Cesspool.

The off-season is also a great time for fans to learn more about basketball in general. Don't know the difference between a small forward and a power forward? What are people talking about when they call say someone is an off-guard? If you've wondered about this stuff, go ahead and ask. RESPONDERS - please be kind to the people asking questions and remember there was a time you needed to learn these things, too. Any posts that put down a person asking questions should be Reported (click on the link at the bottom of the post that says Report) and it will flag the post for moderators.

Are people interested in a Lurker Day? We didn't have one last year (my fault). For those who don't know, Lurker Day is a period of time, usually 4-6 hours, when only posters with less than 75 posts can talk on the board. That means that none of our resident know-it-alls can dominate a conversation. I know in the past some people have objected to the term Lurker but all that means is someone who tends to read more than post. It doesn't mean you hang around in street corners with nothing but a raincoat on :)

So, enjoy the board in the off-season. It can get quite lively here and I do like that we have more visitors from other schools. I hope more of you come out of Lurk mode.

You wouldn't like it if I ditched the raincoat! :p

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Lurker Day is a period of time, usually 4-6 hours, when only posters with less than 75 posts can talk on the board. That means that none of our resident know-it-alls can dominate a conversation.
What about a day for some of us with thousands of posts who don't know a damned thing? :oops:

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
What about a day for some of us with thousands of posts who don't know a damned thing? :oops:

Safe on one score, haven't hit a thousand yet.

Reaction Score
Is Yankees-Red Sox considered religion?
I had a friend who used to say the Green Monster was his Wailing Wall. This was long before the end of the curse of the Bambino.

Reaction Score
As one of the former lurkers who recently joined: Thank you to whoever gave me an A&M avatar! I've been wondering how to do that (and what to use).

edit to fix typo

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I had a friend who used to say the Green Monster was his Wailing Wall. This was long before the end of the curse of the Bambino.
The new wailing wall, specially constructed for Aaron Judge, Giancarlo Stanton & Gary Sanchez...
upload_2018-4-7_20-7-25.png

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

I was hoping for some way OT "songs about" threads, but I don't want to be the guilty party that starts the first one, so I'll wait...

Reaction Score
I always thought there should be a AAA board for new posters that are a bit timid about the whole posting process. Maybe they cut there teeth there for 6 months or maybe even an entire season.

I also think posters that continually produce absurd posts would get sent to this board to hone there posting craft.
Just an idea

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I always thought there should be a AAA board for new posters that are a bit timid about the whole posting process. Maybe they cut there teeth there for 6 months or maybe even an entire season.

I also think posters that continually produce absurd posts would get sent to this board to hone there posting craft.
Just an idea
LOL, send them down to the minor leagues where they can take their anger at the mods out of the poor newbies?

social-media-rage-meme.jpeg

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score

Just an idea

Oh, absurd posts? Like the one in a tennis thread that asked if both players could lose?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom