"It's the dumbest thing ever": Geno rails against combined Final Four | Page 3 | The Boneyard

"It's the dumbest thing ever": Geno rails against combined Final Four

Reaction Score
Where and how much money do women's college golf and tennis make money for the school? Is there a woman's football program that brings in many millions of $$? How much more does the men's NCAA tourney generate compared to the women's tourney? THAT was my point.

I did just a tiny bit of research. this is from 2019 granted but the article was written in 2021...

NCAA document highlights men's, women's tournament budget and income disparities

The NCAA said that the total net income for the men’s basketball tournament was $864.6 million in 2018-19, while the women’s basketball tournament lost $2.8 million — the most of any NCAA championship. The men’s basketball tournament paid for nearly every other NCAA championship across all divisions except for baseball, men’s ice hockey, men’s lacrosse and men’s wrestling, which generate more revenue than expense and help cover other championship costs.
Again, if you don’t TRY to make any money OF COURSE it will lose. It’s estimated that TV rights to the women’s tournament alone could be sold for 100 million. Why don’t we try it. They lump it in with the men’s tournament and then say it loses 3 million dollars. Of course it does. $0 - $2.8 mil = -2.8 mil. They also don’t sell the rights to softball but they could probably do that also. Those regional tournaments are ALWAYS sold out.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Where and how much money do women's college golf and tennis make money for the school? Is there a woman's football program that brings in many millions of $$? How much more does the men's NCAA tourney generate compared to the women's tourney? THAT was my point.

I did just a tiny bit of research. this is from 2019 granted but the article was written in 2021...

NCAA document highlights men's, women's tournament budget and income disparities

The NCAA said that the total net income for the men’s basketball tournament was $864.6 million in 2018-19, while the women’s basketball tournament lost $2.8 million — the most of any NCAA championship. The men’s basketball tournament paid for nearly every other NCAA championship across all divisions except for baseball, men’s ice hockey, men’s lacrosse and men’s wrestling, which generate more revenue thanexpense and help cover other championship costs.

This article breaks out the differences in expenditures very well. For those hoping for some nefarious agenda by the NCAA, you will be disappointed.

The question I have is whether they include any amount of deemed revenue for media rights for the women’s tournament. Since all the tournaments are sold as a group, I don’t know how much of total revenue from that sale, if any is actually allocated to the women’s tournament. If, for example, there is a zero media rights allocation, and we took the $34 million that we know ESPN pays to CBS for the broadcast rights to the woman’s tournament and allocated it to the women’s tournament, then instead of an a loss we are looking at about a $12 million profit. No, it’s not anywhere near the $1.1 billion profit that the men’s tournament earns, but it’s a material number well ahead of any other NCAA tournament.

CL82

Reaction Score
It’s estimated that TV rights to the women’s tournament alone could be sold for 100 million. Why don’t we try?
Because they’ve already been sold once and selling them again would probably be, at best, a breach of contract, and, at worst, fraud?

The NCAA is already on record that at the termination of the existing contract they will sell the rights to the woman’s tournament separately.

Reaction Score

The NCAA said that the total net income for the men’s basketball tournament was $864.6 million in 2018-19, while the women’s basketball tournament lost $2.8 million — the most of any NCAA championship. The men’s basketball tournament paid for nearly every other NCAA championship across all divisions except for baseball, men’s ice hockey, men’s lacrosse and men’s wrestling, which generate more revenue than expense and help cover other championship costs.
Well thanks for answering my question which you never bothered to do, The point I was trying to make, which you completely missed was there is a very big difference between mens and womens “team” sports and mens and womens individual sports like tennis, golf, swimming and diving, etc, although they do play “doubles” in tennis. You were lumping ALL mens and womens college sports together which I found troubling (team sports vs individual sports). For example, with the UCLA mens and womens tennis teams there is virtually no difference in money making, ticket sales, etc.

Reaction Score
One thing no one’s thinking about in looking to the future. In my humble opinion, unlimited transfers and NIL has the potential to make the mens BB game much less popular.
Like many, I grew up with pro Baseball. Following careers of favorite players kept me interested. With the new annual movement of players from team to team, I no longer follow it. I cant tell who is on what team. I am not alone in that loss of interest. Interestingly someone has just predicted that soccer will pass MLB in the USA fan interest in the next couple of years.
I can see that happening in mens college basketball With the massive amount of transfers this year. Maybe that will occur in WCBB as well, but I doubt it.

The national championship game between Kansas and North Carolina had 18.1M viewers.

The 2022 NCAA Men’s Tournament airing across TBS, CBS, TNT and truTV averaged 10.7 million total viewers and a 17.0 share (the percentage of households or viewers who are watching television at that time) for its 67 live game telecasts, both up 13% over last year. The 17.0 share is the best for the entire NCAA Men’s Tournament since 1994.

South Carolina’s 64-49 victory over Connecticut on Sunday night averaged 4.85 million viewers on ESPN, making it the most-watched women’s championship game since 2004. It was also the fourth-largest audience for the title game since the network began airing the entire tournament in 1996.

The tournament overall averaged 634,000 viewers per game, a 16% increase over last year, with many of the rounds seeing their highest averages in more than 10 years. This was the second year that all games aired on at least one channel nationally instead of going to regional audiences.

Reaction Score
Yes I know that.
Because they’ve already been sold once and selling them again would probably be, at best, a breach of contract, and, at worst, fraud?

The NCAA is already on record that at the termination of the existing contract they will sell the rights to the woman’s tournament separately.
It was a response to whoever just keeps saying there's no value in the women's tournament. It's the same people over and over and over.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yes I know that.

It was a response to whoever just keeps saying there's no value in the women's tournament. It's the same people over and over and over.
Yeah, I think the point is the reason why the NCAA isn’t selling the rights to the woman’s tournament as a standalone is that, for the duration of the current contract, they don’t on them. They’ve already sold the rights collectively to CBS.

The rights to the woman’s tournament definitely have value. It’s just pennies on the dollar of the value of the men’s tournament. As I said above though, it’s still a meaningful number.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score

The national championship game between Kansas and North Carolina had 18.1M viewers.

The 2022 NCAA Men’s Tournament airing across TBS, CBS, TNT and truTV averaged 10.7 million total viewers and a 17.0 share (the percentage of households or viewers who are watching television at that time) for its 67 live game telecasts, both up 13% over last year. The 17.0 share is the best for the entire NCAA Men’s Tournament since 1994.

South Carolina’s 64-49 victory over Connecticut on Sunday night averaged 4.85 million viewers on ESPN, making it the most-watched women’s championship game since 2004. It was also the fourth-largest audience for the title game since the network began airing the entire tournament in 1996.

The tournament overall averaged 634,000 viewers per game, a 16% increase over last year, with many of the rounds seeing their highest averages in more than 10 years. This was the second year that all games aired on at least one channel nationally instead of going to regional audiences.
The article you linked is good. Thanks for posting it. It makes a logical, but often overlooked point, that the women’s tournament ratings are suppressed by the fact that they are shown on ESPN rather than ABC or CBS. Likewise the fact that games were only broadcast regionally in the past, depressed the ratings that they might have otherwise gotten. After 2036, assuming that the broadcast rights are being sold separately, it will be interesting to see how the rating numbers change.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The article you linked is good. Thanks for posting it. It makes a logical, but often overlooked point, that the women’s tournament ratings are suppressed by the fact that they are shown on ESPN rather than ABC or CBS. Likewise the fact that games were only broadcast regionally in the past, depressed the ratings that they might have otherwise gotten. After 2036, assuming that the broadcast rights are being sold separately, it will be interesting to see how the rating numbers change.
The NCAA has stated that the 2025 NCAA Women's Tournament will be sold as a stand alone. The contract with ESPN ends after the 2024 Championship. I believe that means that the extension of the Men's tournament did not include the Women's tournament past the 2024 portion of the contract.

CL82

Reaction Score
The NCAA has stated that the 2025 NCAA Women's Tournament will be sold as a stand alone. The contract with ESPN ends after the 2024 Championship. I believe that means that the extension of the Men's tournament did not include the Women's tournament past the 2024 portion of the contract.
Yeah, that actually sounds correct to me. I read somewhere today, perhaps in the linked article, that it was 2036, but I think that’s the end of the ACC contract.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom