It's selection Sunday | The Boneyard

It's selection Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Now I know what it feels like to be a Rutgers or Providence fan on selection Sunday.
Ha! Funny. Although, we can only PARTIALLY relate.....We have plans on being in the Big Dance NEXT year. THERE'S a key difference.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ha! Funny. Although, we can only PARTIALLY relate.....We have plans on being in the Big Dance NEXT year. THERE'S a key difference.

And we would have been in this year...not the same as having a poor season.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
PC and St John's will get NIT invitations and start play Tuesday. Better than sitting home.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Given KO could only dress 5.5 players for the season finale, it's almost just as well they sat this one out.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Young or short memories. We've had our stretches.

Some pretty lean years for sure. But if Kentucky is NIT bound, I truly will enjoy their misery.

Reaction Score

Had the NCAA not sabotaged things this could have been a potential Final Four, or even greater, season depending on who may have stayed around.

Reaction Score
Some pretty lean years for sure. But if Kentucky is NIT bound, I truly will enjoy their misery.
It is funny. It seems that teams like Providence and Rutgers are the ones that usually do well in the NIT. It's a step up and they're amped up. Teams that step down to the NIT, like Kentucky, usually flop. It's a mental thing.

Reaction Score
I think, as fans of a team that didn't make the tournament, we're supposed to go to the boards of the fans that made the tournament and tell them how much they suck.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
I feel totally liberated this year.

I had always picked UConn straight through to the win in the championship game.... This time I cannot do that.

I have not one nanogram of loyalty left for any of our former conference foes... In fact, I think I will feel uplifted if I root for them to lose....and then they do.

I am anxious to see the brackets this year make all manner of fun picks. Mississippi to get to the Sweet 16? Iona to get to the Elite 8? South Dakota State to knock Syracuse out....(oh, that's a given, that's what that is)

Here's hoping for 3 weeks of WTF

Reaction Score
Now I know what it feels like to be a Rutgers or Providence fan on selection Sunday.
LOL! We've had a few of these over the years and it's always disappointing. For some reason, I'm not all that fazed about it this year. Partly because we knew it was coming. It wasn't like the hope of making the tournament was dashed at the last moment, realizing we s*cked and weren't getting an at-large bid. Hum...have we ever had a season where we were on the bubble and didn't get in? Usually the seasons we didn't get in, we really didn't deserve to and it was pretty clear leading up to Selection Sunday. The other reason, why I'm not all that broken up about this, is although we deserve to be in the field of 68, we were so banged up, that an early exit looked likely, depending on the seeding we would have gotten. My guess is we would have won the first round game, but would be hard pressed to win the 2nd, playing two nights later with a banged up and battered team.

Reaction Score
DM I think the closest thing I can think of was the 01 season. The season ending loss at Seton Hall was the capper that sealed their fate but there was a glimmer of hope going into the final Sunday of the season.

NotADimeBack

Give me my avi back
Reaction Score
Meh... this is only the 4th time it's missed the tourney since 97', it happens. Sucks though

Reaction Score
DM I think the closest thing I can think of was the 01 season. The season ending loss at Seton Hall was the capper that sealed their fate but there was a glimmer of hope going into the final Sunday of the season.
Was that Caron's freshman year? That team was young and couldn't seem to close out games. If my memory serves me we were ranked somewhat high early on, and that ranking trended steadily downward during the 2nd half of that season. They lost a whole slew of late games that year and played themselves right out of the tourney. That is a good example of one of those years that we thought we might sneak in, but weren't completely shocked we didn't.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Was that Caron's freshman year? That team was young and couldn't seem to close out games. If my memory serves me we were ranked somewhat high early on, and that ranking trended steadily downward during the 2nd half of that season. They lost a whole slew of late games that year and played themselves right out of the tourney. That is a good example of one of those years that we thought we might sneak in, but weren't completely shocked we didn't.

They handed a game away at Seton Hall on the road that killed them.

Reaction Score
Doug Gotlieb is a jizz. He's totally out of place with the real professional broadcasters. He just doesn't belong on the set, he's annoying.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
Yes, that was the year he uttered his infamous "chicken dinners" remark after a loss.

Reaction Score
LOL! We've had a few of these over the years and it's always disappointing. For some reason, I'm not all that fazed about it this year. Partly because we knew it was coming. It wasn't like the hope of making the tournament was dashed at the last moment, realizing we s*cked and weren't getting an at-large bid. Hum...have we ever had a season where we were on the bubble and didn't get in? Usually the seasons we didn't get in, we really didn't deserve to and it was pretty clear leading up to Selection Sunday. The other reason, why I'm not all that broken up about this, is although we deserve to be in the field of 68, we were so banged up, that an early exit looked likely, depending on the seeding we would have gotten. My guess is we would have won the first round game, but would be hard pressed to win the 2nd, playing two nights later with a banged up and battered team.

Yes, we had a plus 20 win season and didn't get in. I was frankly a little shocked.

Reaction Score
This thread, this thread had absolutely no ducking thing to do with selection sunday.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
This thread, this thread had absolutely no ducking thing to do with selection sunday.
....said the guy who is already a bit late in changing his handle.....

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
2001? That's the year Detroit came into Gampel and knocked us out of the NIT I think.

Reaction Score
Yes that was the 2000-2001 season. I remember being there because my town ran a bus trip to that game. I believe Taliek was on the line at the end of the game and he blew some free throws which caused us to lose? Anyway it was just a stepping stone for the great year we had in 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom