It's okay to trust what you are seeing | The Boneyard

It's okay to trust what you are seeing

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Lots of people have been getting slammed on here for having early opinions from the exhibition games. It's okay to form early opinions and put them out there. Just because someone is breaking away from the center opinion of the board we don't have to jump all over them like they are a bad fan. Everyone is seeing Sam II Ams strong start and Purvis' struggles including KO and his post game presser indicates Sam is going to be starting soon. The take away here is that people should feel comfortable with posting opinions about their early impressions because in all likelihood there is some truth to them.

We can root for Rodney and Omar and others to be great but still be fair if and when they are getting out performed. Message board isn't the right name for places like the yard. Info and opinions board is a better fit. Let people have theirs, if you disagree, do so diplomatically.

I think Purvis is a better player than what he's shown, but I also think he was overhyped and Sam is a better fit at the 2.
I think watching Phil not finish around the rim in year 3 is a pretty good indication of what he will be this year.
Amida dropped his hands today and committed his clear 2nd foul 5 min into the game when he needs to know better how important it is he stays on the floor. He called staying out of foul trouble his biggest lesson learned out of last year but isn't applying it yet.

Sure it's a small sample size, but its what we get to talk about until the next game, so lets talk about it. Hot Sauce and Sugar.

Okay, I'll get off the soapbox now.

Reaction Score
I will add that Hamilton is as good as advertised. The "Purv"...not so much!

Reaction Score
I would at least like to give Omar the opportunity to play before I say he is being outperformed or be down on his performance...Purvis's play is definitely concerning, hopefully its just a case of getting used to game speed but he has to play much smarter than he has, and its been 2 straight games of the same mistakes. I personally would rather see Cassell Jr start because he looks better in every single area but I understand why KO has to start Purvis. Brimah seems to play smarter after his picks up his customary 2 fouls but obviously the issue is picking up the 1st 2 to begin with. The moving screen calls don't bother me because it seems refs have decided its a point of emphasis with that point not being made clear to the players, all of these foul calls on both sides wouldn't have been called in years past. The 2nd fouls he's picked up both games definitely need to be corrected. You can't put your hands out to impede a post player's progress(SoConn) or drop your arms down like that(Assumption) and not expect a foul. There's no chance Brimah will survive against a Cameron Ridley or Jahlil Okafor if he commits dumb fouls like that.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Omar comments were more about last year than this year.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Lots of people have been getting slammed on here for having early opinions from the exhibition games. It's okay to form early opinions and put them out there. Just because someone is breaking away from the center opinion of the board we don't have to jump all over them like they are a bad fan. Everyone is seeing Sam II Ams strong start and Purvis' struggles including KO and his post game presser indicates Sam is going to be starting soon. The take away here is that people should feel comfortable with posting opinions about their early impressions because in all likelihood there is some truth to them.

We can root for Rodney and Omar and others to be great but still be fair if and when they are getting out performed. Message board isn't the right name for places like the yard. Info and opinions board is a better fit. Let people have theirs, if you disagree, do so diplomatically.

I think Purvis is a better player than what he's shown, but I also think he was overhyped and Sam is a better fit at the 2.
I think watching Phil not finish around the rim in year 3 is a pretty good indication of what he will be this year.
Amida dropped his hands today and committed his clear 2nd foul 5 min into the game when he needs to know better how important it is he stays on the floor. He called staying out of foul trouble his biggest lesson learned out of last year but isn't applying it yet.

Sure it's a small sample size, but its what we get to talk about until the next game, so lets talk about it. Hot Sauce and Sugar.

And yet, if any team should understand that early play doesn't have much to do with later season success, it's UCONN. UCONN teams generally develop over the course of the year. Most people look at players as static or in a microcosm, and come up with inaccurate observations as a result. Purvis play doesn't worry me in the least.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
And we're back to pizza. I hate it when I'm right.

Reaction Score
We have to remember that a lot of these guys didn't play together yet and others didn't play hardly at all last year.

I'll hold judgment until I see a bigger sample.

Just a few observations.

DHam and Cassell are looking good as stated in other threads.

Facey is doing a nice job on the boards.

And Purvis looks like he is trying to live up to the hype. Needs to relax and let the game come to him-he'll be fine.

Reaction Score
I just remember all the posts burying Daniels last year.

I like to wait more.

Exactly. And I also remember a few guys comparing Brendan Allen favorably to Austrie based off of what he did in a few exhibition games.

I don't have a problem with people observing what they're seeing and then posting about it, but I think it's too far to take those observations and then act like they're indicative of what we'll see the rest of the year, or even over the next month.

Reaction Score
upstater said:
I just remember all the posts burying Daniels last year. I like to wait more.

There really isn't a single guy who held scissors in his hands last April who didn't spend time in the Boneyard doghouse (or written off as being not good enough). Bazz was his sophomore year. DD and Boat spent most of their first 3 years in the doghouse - with some brief pockets of approval at times - before earning favored Husky status by year end.

I'm guilty of it too. I don't think I ever posted anything, but by late January, I would have said that there was no chance Samuel would get off the bench for meaningful minutes in the postseason (not much feel for the game, no scoring ability, and can't make FTs). By March, not only was he a significant contributor, he hit every clutch FT he took.

The encouraging thing with the way these exhibitions have gone is that if it was, say, Boat and Purvis clicking and Cassell/Hamilton struggling, we'd wonder about our depth and how far we can go with only two guys who can make a play. Since Cassell and Hamilton have played well, we know we have options on offense (although we also have to see if they can guard a legit DI scorer at their positions).

Reaction Score
I agree with most everything given the sample size- but saying SCJ is a better fit at the 2 after 2 expo games is a little premature don't you think? RP has not played a real game in what 20 months? I do like what I have seen from SCJ- smart-smooth jumper and active- can't ask for more then that.

I also hope AB gets his act together and can learn to stay on the floor- we are simply a much better team with him out there compared to when he is riding the pine.

Reaction Score
Haven't seen them play but reading all the comments they seem to be adjusting to not having Bazz, Daniels and Giffey. Which now appears may take longer than expected. Especially losing General Bazz.

So perhaps we should buckle up and be more patient, but most importantly, in the meantime prepare for Freescooter's return.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I agree with most everything given the sample size- but saying SCJ is a better fit at the 2 after 2 expo games is a little premature don't you think? RP has not played a real game in what 20 months? I do like what I have seen from SCJ- smart-smooth jumper and active- can't ask for more then that.

I also hope AB gets his act together and can learn to stay on the floor- we are simply a much better team with him out there compared to when he is riding the pine.
Irregardless of Purvis not shooting well from the floor and his turnovers, its clear that Ollie is pushing him to be a slash first guard; attack the basket. Sam appears to be a shoot first guy. We need a consistent three point threat at the 2 to keep the defense honest. I'm aware of Purvis' 3 pt stats at NC state but his game is rushed right now. Boat and Hamilton are going to collapse a lot of defenses, we need a knock down shooter.

Reaction Score
Haven't seen them play but reading all the comments they seem to be adjusting to not having Bazz, Daniels and Giffey. Which now appears may take longer than expected. Especially losing General Bazz.

So perhaps we should buckle up and be more patient, but most importantly, in the meantime prepare for Freescooter's return.
It's been nearly a year. LOL. Can't say I have missed him.

Reaction Score
Irregardless of Purvis not shooting well from the floor and his turnovers, its clear that Ollie is pushing him to be a slash first guard; attack the basket. Sam appears to be a shoot first guy. We need a consistent three point threat at the 2 to keep the defense honest. I'm aware of Purvis' 3 pt stats at NC state but his game is rushed right now. Boat and Hamilton are going to collapse a lot of defenses, we need a knock down shooter.

I think that seems to be Purvis's own doing. Boatright noted after that game that he's passing up open shots to drive in traffic instead, which he is. I know those are Boat's word's and not KO's, but I doubt they wouldn't be on the same page on how Purvis needs to be attacking. He needs to trust his jumper, all the passing up open shots is what's getting him in trouble with the charges and turnovers. He can still push the pace and attack, but he needs to develop a steady dose of both and have some balance to his game, if he's getting in trouble like this against D2 teams its only going to get worse against D1 teams with better athletes to shut the paint off on him.

pj

Reaction Score

If we're going to be a running team, we'll need that slashing, attacking, pressure on the defender offensive mentality. Purvis can hit the 3, he just doesn't have confidence in it right now; Boat went through a similar drought last year. The good news is that we know we have 3 quality perimeter players in Boat, Cassell, and DHam, so we're really arguing about depth when we discuss Rodney, TSam, and Omar. I'm of the opinion we're going to have at least 4 and probably 5 quality perimeter guys by March.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

I agree! If we have to wait until February to post, what's the point of the BY? There is a difference in saying you are concerned about Purvis or that SC2 is good insurance than to say Purvis stinks. I haven't heard anyone say that.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure members in this forum need to be encouraged about expressing themselves.;) OK, maybe some of the lurkers feel intimidated. But I would guess the reason for their absence from posting is because there are posters who lack restraint in how they deal with statements others make.

Observations are subjective. I don't trust what I see, so even when I'm in agreement with others, I still don't trust them nor what they see.:cool:

At the end of the season we'll know for certain which of our projections are correct. Of course even this isn't accurate. This forum has demonstrated a corollary. The more successful the team the greater will be the consensus of opinion in this forum. If the season is a disaster, this place will be a war zone.

But even in a disaster there is a benefit - it might keep the pizza type threads to a minimum. Or not.

Reaction Score
Purvis is forcing the issue instead of relaxing and taking what the defense gives him much like Kemba did his first three years. Boatright was doing the same in previous years and now that he's a senior I'm praying he calms down and lets the game come to him. I am a little disappointed that Brimah didn't make better progress over the summer and really dismayed that Nolan seems lost out there. Hamilton seems like the real deal so we shouldn't expect him to be around too many seasons. Calhoun can't seem to catch a break so far but once he does break out....look out. Cassell Jr looks good, Facey needs to be more of a force inside which ideally would be Brimah's and Nolan's role but somebody better step up and quick. Need to see guys crashing the boards more. Napier grabbed more rebounds than he should have been expected to and that masked a thin front court last year. Nolan needs to dedicate himself to owning the boards, then worry about everything else.

Eh... a couple of practice games against scrum teams, you tend to play towards your competition. The real fun starts this week and by the new year a solid 8 man rotation should be in place. They'll be ok. I have my fingers crossed that Nolan, Brimah and Calhoun grow as the season progresses and if they do....it should be a glorious March.

Reaction Score
weyuo said:
Purvis is forcing the issue instead of relaxing and taking what the defense gives him much like Kemba did his first three years. Boatright was doing the same in previous years and now that he's a senior I'm praying he calms down and lets the game come to him. I am a little disappointed that Brimah didn't make better progress over the summer and really dismayed that Nolan seems lost out there. Hamilton seems like the real deal so we shouldn't expect him to be around too many seasons. Calhoun can't seem to catch a break so far but once he does break out....look out. Cassell Jr looks good, Facey needs to be more of a force inside which ideally would be Brimah's and Nolan's role but somebody better step up and quick. Need to see guys crashing the boards more. Napier grabbed more rebounds than he should have been expected to and that masked a thin front court last year. Nolan needs to dedicate himself to owning the boards, then worry about everything else. Eh... a couple of practice games against scrum teams, you tend to play towards your competition. The real fun starts this week and by the new year a solid 8 man rotation should be in place. They'll be ok. I have my fingers crossed that Nolan, Brimah and Calhoun grow as the season progresses and if they do....it should be a glorious March.

Kemba was only here 3 years ;)

Guys who play fast and attack are going to make mistakes sometimes. But they cause defenses to react, and be concerned about bringing help, which opens things up. You can't have all 5 guys waiting for the game to come to them, or it's like four cars arriving to a four-way intersection where everyone yields. Then everyone's stuck. Of course, there's the obvious cross-metaphor of all four cars gunning it and ending up with a wreck. Maybe there's a better metaphor with some sort of Head of the Charles fours boat with a coxswain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom