It's okay to trust what you are seeing | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It's okay to trust what you are seeing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kemba was only here 3 years ;)

Guys who play fast and attack are going to make mistakes sometimes. But they cause defenses to react, and be concerned about bringing help, which opens things up. You can't have all 5 guys waiting for the game to come to them, or it's like four cars arriving to a four-way intersection where everyone yields. Then everyone's stuck. Of course, there's the obvious cross-metaphor of all four cars gunning it and ending up with a wreck. Maybe there's a better metaphor with some sort of Head of the Charles fours boat with a coxswain.
That's true about Kemba but I stand by my observation that he played out of control at times going into his last season. There is a difference between recklessly driving into a crowded paint(which I've seen Purvis do at times and Boatright did in his previous seasons) and seeing a lane, driving then either putting it up or dishing.

Reaction Score
Purvis didn't start at NC State last season and many have attributed it to the coach and style of play. Maybe that is accurate and maybe it is not. Purvis is an outstanding athlete and while we certainly haven't seen his best game in the first 2 exhibitions it doesn't make sense to assume he'll start or that he won't. Sam Jr. has earned the starting spot as of now. Add Omar to the mix and we have 3 talented players who can contribute at the 2 with Sam Jr. also able to play PG. KO has the option to play the hot hand and that gives us a lot of flexibility.

Reaction Score
Rodney will figure it out or he won't play much, simple.

Reaction Score
weyuo said:
That's true about Kemba but I stand by my observation that he played out of control at times going into his last season. There is a difference between recklessly driving into a crowded paint(which I've seen Purvis do at times and Boatright did in his previous seasons) and seeing a lane, driving then either putting it up or dishing.

You're 100 percent right. I even remember Blaney on the 2011 championship DVD saying Kemba wasn't a point guard when he came in, he was a classic NYC "push guard", which meant just push the ball full speed until you run into someone, then force something. He had to learn to harness his athletic gifts - he made some incremental progress in that regard as a sophomore, but didn't play well in a slower gear. Junior year, as we well know, he put it together.

Reaction Score
Saw the Assumption game yesterday, didn't see the SCSU game. My observations...

Hamilton is better than I expected. Can do it all. Handle the ball, shoot inside/outside, rebound, and drive and dish. Best looking frosh playing SF that I can remember at UC in a long, long time...probably since RIP Hamilton.

Cassell, also better than expected, especially shooting stroke from 3. Better quickness than I expected also, after hearing all the stuff about him having an "old-man's game". Not saying he was like a Boatright, just that he looked like he had at least average motor skills, not below average. Other than one sloppy pass, didn't make mistakes out there.

Purvis I'm keeping an open mind about. If his shot starts dropping he'll be as advertised. I think he'll get that done, but righ now Cassell is without question the more effective and productive player.

Nolan, the only difference that the extra 30 pounds on him has made, that I saw yesterday, is that he's a little slower and can't jump as well/high. High IQ on court, but still can't finish on O end, and I don't see the pounds helping him out on the boards.

Boatright, looking great. Will be the rock and heart of the team

Amida, no worries here either. Can see the improvement even though yesterday's game didn't translate stat-wise.

Facey, wasn't assertive. Looks the part of a supremely athletic PF, but didn't have an impact. Its up to him to figure it out that he is going to the most gifted PF on the court 90% of the time and he needs to take advantage of that the way Donny Marshall did (even though he was 3 inches shorter).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom