It's Official: The BE is only three teams at the moment. | The Boneyard

It's Official: The BE is only three teams at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm trying to understand. On the one hand, UCONN fans have made disdain for the big east very clear. No self respecting UCONN fan wants anything to do with the big east, let alone seeing an opportunity, let alone a need to say things to bolster the conference and its efforts to redevelop itself. And, there is surprise that the basketball only members of the big east have upped and quit, on the other?

Is there a possibility here that signaling a desire to get out of the big east on the first thing smokin' is counter productive?

Let me help out here. Yes, it is counter productive and shortsighted to do that. UCONN is not likely to get your coveted invitation to the ACC. Our better option is to:

DEAL WITH IT

Reaction Score
. . .And, there is surprise that the basketball only members of the big east have upped and quit, on the other? . . .

Is there surprise? Who is surprised?

I can't see how any attempt by UConn to lead a cheering section
for the Big East would have changed anything. It's not about
cheers. It's about money.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
We must, and clearly will, act. This can't go on...

Reaction Score
Do the 3 remaining teams get to split all the exit fees?

Reaction Score
Is there surprise? Who is surprised?

I can't see how any attempt by UConn to lead a cheering section
for the Big East would have changed anything. It's not about
cheers. It's about money.

And if it's about money, there are ways to play hardball and there are ways to look like and be treated like chumps. Look, from a fans standpoint, it is perfectly normal to be stressed out and disappointed. UCONN administrators haven't given us any reason to do otherwise. They have been seen to be openly begging to get out and go elsewhere, mostly to the ACC.

That begging signals weakness has been lost on them. That there are potential financial benefits to leading and bolstering the Big East has not been said or signaled or acted upon by UCONN.

The administrators have not said nice things about SMU or Tulane or SDSU. No one in power has done the least thing to excite us about the Big East. Hence, the common wisdom is that there is nothing attractive or lucrative about the Big East.

It's not my fault they aren't doing that. However, at some point, some school in the Big East may take on a leadership role for the conference. That school will likely be invited to go elsewhere. But, the real test of leadership is the willingness to decline any such offer and stick with the Big East and make it work and prosper.

I'm talkin money here.

Reaction Score
And if it's about money, there are ways to play hardball and there are ways to look like and be treated like chumps. Look, from a fans standpoint, it is perfectly normal to be stressed out and disappointed. UCONN administrators haven't given us any reason to do otherwise. They have been seen to be openly begging to get out and go elsewhere, mostly to the ACC.

That begging signals weakness has been lost on them. That there are potential financial benefits to leading and bolstering the Big East has not been said or signaled or acted upon by UCONN.

The administrators have not said nice things about SMU or Tulane or SDSU. No one in power has done the least thing to excite us about the Big East. Hence, the common wisdom is that there is nothing attractive or lucrative about the Big East.

It's not my fault they aren't doing that. However, at some point, some school in the Big East may take on a leadership role for the conference. That school will likely be invited to go elsewhere. But, the real test of leadership is the willingness to decline any such offer and stick with the Big East and make it work and prosper.

I'm talkin money here.
I believe you are living in a fantasy world! First of all of the original founding members of the big east only UConn is remaining in what you could questionably call a conference. In my opinion the "catholic seven" as they are called have more right to the name big east than any of the remaining schools. Second Pres. Herbst and the new AD have totally dropped the ball by not recognizing what would occur if the football agenda was aggressively pushed down the throats of the seven schools who are leaving. Third you are hallucinating if you think that this new conference alignment can draw a TV or other contract that will attach to a significant monetary amount!

Reaction Score

I'm talkin money here.
It's offensive to refer to the remnants of a once great conference as the big east call it the big leftovers from across the country!!!

Reaction Score
I believe you are living in a fantasy world! First of all of the original founding members of the big east only UConn is remaining in what you could questionably call a conference. In my opinion the "catholic seven" as they are called have more right to the name big east than any of the remaining schools. Second Pres. Herbst and the new AD have totally dropped the ball by not recognizing what would occur if the football agenda was aggressively pushed down the throats of the seven schools who are leaving. Third you are hallucinating if you think that this new conference alignment can draw a TV or other contract that will attach to a significant monetary amount!

The report that I got from someone deep inside is that the new league went to 4 networks prior to moving and asked for a deal running basketball only. All 4 networks were on board and the deal will generate more money to the 7 schools than the former/current Big East could provide even with it's conference football.

Reaction Score
The report that I got from someone deep inside is that the new league went to 4 networks prior to moving and asked for a deal running basketball only. All 4 networks were on board and the deal will generate more money to the 7 schools than the former/current Big East could provide even with it's conference football.
Exactly my point! I was referring to the teams who have remained not those who are leaving.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That would be nice huh? But BE will be lucky if it sees any kind of exit fees.

Reaction Score
That would be nice huh? But BE will be lucky if it sees any kind of exit fees.
As I said before the "seven" are the Big East and therefore they should be getting paid for being driven out by all the "johnny come latelys"

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
UConn is not a johnny come lately in the Big East and the other members are full members and accepted the terms under which they joined and were accepted. Basically, a poor argument.

Reaction Score
But can those 3 schools now vote us into the Big East Tourney

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
UConn is not a johnny come lately in the Big East and the other members are full members and accepted the terms under which they joined and were accepted. Basically, a poor argument.
You obviously enjoy being a contrarian! Of course UConn was part of the original big east but the rest of the 8 teams that will remain after the "7" leave are all come latelys!!!!!! Quit posting nonsense they may be members but non with significant longevity!!!!!!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You obviously enjoy being a contrarian! Of course UConn was part of the original big east but the rest of the 8 teams that will remain after the "7" leave are all come latelys!!!!!! Quit posting nonsense they may be members but non with significant longevity!!!!!!
They are not johnny come lately's . They are full members, fully seated and constituted by being voted in by the teams choosing to leave. There are not different categories of membership. All that matters is that they are members.

Reaction Score
They are not johnny come lately's . They are full members, fully seated and constituted by being voted in by the teams choosing to leave. There are not different categories of membership. All that matters is that they are members.
So they were voted in how does that change the fact that they are new arrivals and for the most part not competitive nor in the EAST as in big EAST not big all over the place!!!!

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Sal: first of all, you aren't listening to legally pertinent facts: you are clutching on to emotionally satisfying ones, that have no bearing on the issue at hand. Second, you're hogging all the exclaimation points: please leave some for the rest of us.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
That is being worked out. There's a lot of money and potentially a lot more. Not exact on the amount but exit fees adding up to $30 million and NCAA credits still owed the BE around $124 million. Others may know the exact amount. The exit fees don't include Rutgers, Louisville or ND. ND is already belly aching that the conference has disintegrated leaving them no choice but to leave early. Funny that they don't say they were a part of the conference disintegrating.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
So they were voted in how does that change the fact that they are new arrivals and for the most part not competitive nor in the EAST as in big EAST not big all over the place!!!!
You're mixing two issues. They are full members with rights according to the bye laws. The quality of the remaining programs definitely leaves something to be desired. The situation is very tenuous to say the least. But I'm always hoping something turns out good. The options are very limited for UConn. Either they get an invite to the B!G or the ACC or they are part of a new conference with or without the name BE that can get some media resting place for exposure and offsetting athletic expenses. And just maybe this conference doesn't end up being second rate. Chances are slim, but you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom