It's Official: Shea Ralph Named Vanderbilt Coach | Page 11 | The Boneyard

It's Official: Shea Ralph Named Vanderbilt Coach

Reaction Score
What's wrong then? If it's not the coaches, what is it? It's a mess!
To me, college recruiting is similar to grabbing a handful of spaghetti, throwing it against the wall, and seeing if any of it sticks.
What about all of the characteristics of a college and the team and the young people choosing the right institution for themselves.
Facilities- sports and academic, college strong in your major/interests, coach, style of play, location/weather, teammates, potential playing time, etc. Kids are transferring all over the place. Anyone who has ever transferred schools knows it's a messy process. NOT ideal!! Is this what the NCAA wants? Better question, is this what is best for the student athletes? Maybe it is. Will a kid transfer on a whim rather than stick out a tough situation that will pay off in the long run? Ugh
I think this transfer thing is ultimately going to harm women’s basketball more than it helps. Sure, there were some bad elements in the way it was implemented before with politics etc but why not try to fix those things rather than simply throwing up your hands and saying “no rules” , you can transfer any time for any reason. I don’t think the sit out one season was necessarily a bad idea. It forced kids to really consider if this (transferring) was the best thing for them.

Reaction Score
So, is Jen Rissotti waiting to fill this spot? Or is it going to be Sue or Diana?

Reaction Score
Well he left for the 2013 season and they won a natty in 2014, so... yes?
I said after a few years... like after HIS recruits leave. I had huge hopes for KO, and he was great, until his marriage fell apart. I think that was the primary cause of his coaching demise. I'm not saying Geno's replacement won't be successful, even long after he's gone. I'm just saying that usually isn't the case, and that UConn will not be immune to failure.

Reaction Score
Shea Ralph is the second UConn Husky going to Vanderbilt.
Liz Sherwood was a freshman center on the 2003-04 team who transferred to Vandy after winning the championship in 2004.
Her name has been wiped out from UConn archived roster.
It is also missing here
You can find her name by clicking on the box scores.
I bet Shea's name will not be removed from the UConn rosters.

Reaction Score
So, is Jen Rissotti waiting to fill this spot? Or is it going to be Sue or Diana?
It's Jennifer Marie Rizzotti.
Sue and Diana are still playing professionally. They have seen the world and probably will not live or retire at Storrs, CT. Besides UConn there is nothing exciting about Storrs or Mansfield or Tolland or that whole area for world travelers like Sue and D.

Reaction Score
Well yeah, I'm totally serious. Did UConn mbb remain at the same level a few years after Calhoun left? Did football stay at the same level after Edsall left the first time (still with a decent conference)? When program builders leave, stuff happens, usually not always good. And if you think UConn has the same financial resources as Vanderbilt, I have an old bridge for sale you might be interested in.
UCONN v Vandy.
Let me think.
One is supreme dominant program and the other might become a tourney participant.
Clearly UCONN will pay handsomely and there are other strong ties that are attractive about UCONN for Shea.
She'll be at UCONN eventually.

Reaction Score
I think this transfer thing is ultimately going to harm women’s basketball more than it helps. Sure, there were some bad elements in the way it was implemented before with politics etc but why not try to fix those things rather than simply throwing up your hands and saying “no rules” , you can transfer any time for any reason. I don’t think the sit out one season was necessarily a bad idea. It forced kids to really consider if this (transferring) was the best thing for them.
I'm stodgy on this subject too. There are bad situations that require a student athlete to transfer. It could even be an academic concern. Maybe like Evina. (funny she was one that got "jerked" around) Those cases should be examined and evaluated and the student athlete's interests should be properly addressed in everyone's best interest. Then there are just student athletes flying around willy-nilly, distorting what college athletics should represent. Maybe last year's Arkansas team with 3 5th year transfers.
It may not be "one-size fits all". But like you say, maybe it shouldn't be "no rules" either.

Reaction Score
Shea Ralph is the second UConn Husky going to Vanderbilt.
Liz Sherwood was a freshman center on the 2003-04 team who transferred to Vandy after winning the championship in 2004.
Her name has been wiped out from UConn archived roster.
It is also missing here
You can find her name by clicking on the box scores.
I bet Shea's name will not be removed from the UConn rosters.

Not sure what you're alleging but the "here" you refer to was submitted by "unknown."

She, and other transfers, are listed in the MEDIA GUIDE

Reaction Score
Need someone to coach the guards, Jen would be a better fit than Tamika.
Agree that they need someone to work w the guards, good point.
BUT think the staff needs someone younger then jen! Think they already have the wise older coach w coach elliot

Reaction Score
Isn't Jen Rizzotti available - would she not make an ideal assitant for next season as she awaits her next opportunity
Concerned the staff would be too old, better and healthier to have a mix of young blood on the staff

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Geno, as well as his assistants, frequently attend AAU tournaments to check out recruits. There are quite a few photos lying around of Geno at these events. I’m sure he enjoys the summer and we know he plays a lot of golf, but UConn isn’t paying him a 7 figure salary to work only 6 months a year.
I bumped into Geno and Shea a few years ago here in Nashville at a summer AAU game. They were checking out a point guard from nearby Murfreesboro who I seem to remember had a pretty good college career.

Reaction Score
I bumped into Geno and Shea a few years ago here in Nashville at a summer AAU game. They were checking out a point guard from nearby Murfreesboro who I seem to remember had a pretty good college career.
But Geno doesn’t recruit in the summer only Shea and jamelle

Reaction Score
Interesting situation for them with husband Tom coaching the UMASS Lowell team. At UCONN they were close enough to live on middle ground. But not at Vandy. Would Tom go back to being an assistant?

Edit :
the previous ct post article answered that - he is expected to be on her staff.
Why would she go without him???
Makes zero sense, plus he spent years there as an asst. This makes sense for
BOTH of them considering everything, great fit for both

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Shea's first job at Vandy should be to figure out how to get the benches on the sidelines not the baselines. I have been to Vandy and hate the seats below the courts on both sidelines.

I've been to many games there but never get used to it. It's the weirdest gym of any major college program. But don't underestimate the home team advantage it provides.

Reaction Score
Years ago I read neither Stanford or Vanderbilt compromised their admissions standards for football, and therefore not other sports. That was cited as a reason VU football always struggles. On the other hand, Duke, Northwestern, and Notre Dame did. Don't know if that still holds.

@UcMiami: I always thought Duke was the Harvard of the South. Who knows?
I only know of Tulane being called the Harvard of the South.

Reaction Score
Not sure what you're alleging but the "here" you refer to was submitted by "unknown."

She, and other transfers, are listed in the MEDIA GUIDE
Not alleging anything.
I had found her name in the media guide and probably mentioned it my post here when I first observed this discrepancy a few years ago.
But the archived rosters do not include her name.
If you click on the wikipedia 2003-04 women's basketball roster, it is not there either.
I was not trying to do an exhaustive list of where her name appears and where it does not.
The archived UConn roster is an important place. It is missing there and the overwhelming majority of UConn WBB rosters listed on the web carry on this mistake from there. Few would check the media guide to get the roster. (I did when I first discovered this.)

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Why would she go without him???
Makes zero sense, plus he spent years there as an asst. This makes sense for
BOTH of them considering everything, great fit for both
Tom has been hired by Vandy as Shea's assistant.

Reaction Score
Years ago I read neither Stanford or Vanderbilt compromised their admissions standards for football, and therefore not other sports. That was cited as a reason VU football always struggles. On the other hand, Duke, Northwestern, and Notre Dame did. Don't know if that still holds.

@UcMiami: I always thought Duke was the Harvard of the South. Who knows?
Has Harvard ever been called the Duke of the North?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom