Its official Dick Vitale not calling games this season | The Boneyard

Its official Dick Vitale not calling games this season

Reaction Score
I know some of us are hard on him, and I rarely call him Dick, he's Dook Vitale to me. But the latest news is worrisome. His cancer treatments have affected his vocal chords. Sideline commentary with one eye is admirable but obviously impossible without vocal chords.

This is not an eulogy, because I can't see anything short of death, stopping him from calling games. I'm basically saying college basketball will be different this season, and somewhat 'quiet'.

I may not like his style but I will miss that pain in my arse this season. McDonald's should rename their All Star game after DV, or at least include his name in title. After all the players are 'Diaper Dandies'.

(I wonder if the young'uns really know who he is and what he meant to college basketball.)

ESPN's Dick Vitale done for season

Reaction Score
I grew tired of him a few years ago. BUT..............when he came back this year for a couple games, I was glad to see and hear him again. I hope he has some time left.

Reaction Score
Won't miss him calling games - I grew tired of him.years,ago, but I hope the treatments work. I know many who had permanent side effects from cancer treatment but if it prolongs your life, esp giving yyou a quality life, the side effects don't matter.

Reaction Score
I will always remember Dick Vitale in the early days of Jim Calhoun's success and he was always positive toward UConn and passionate doing our games. Sure he has a Duke bias, but for a body of work, I like him. Give me an announcer who's passionate over a stuffed shirt automaton any day. I also like the Geico commercials. I wish they would run them again.

Reaction Score
He is a bit over the top sometimes, but the guy absolutely loves college basketball. I remember going to UConn games growing up and being really excited when he was there doing the games. I know it's been a long time but I wonder when the last UConn game he did. I wish him well.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Dickie V is just one of those announcers -- when he's calling your game it means it's a big one!

Yeah, he slobbers all over Duke, and that's annoying, sure. But the guy was all over JC's jock too and has never had a bad word to say about UConn.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah, his act had gotten tired, but he was an icon. I wish him nothing but the best.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My favorite Vitale rant form the early Calhoun days:

"Watch out Georgetown! Watch out Syracuse! When you come to Hartford, you better be ready to play! Awesome baby!"
Probably one of the easiest announcers out there to imitate. Back when announcers were singing Ajou Deng‘s praises before he had even put on stepped on the court, a buddy of mine asked me about him and why announcers were talking him up. I slipped into my Vitale voice and said some thing like “This kid’s a diaper dandy! They love him in Storrs! They even named a sandwich after him. Roast Beef Ajouuu, baby!” He was like “did Vitale actually say that?” When I laughed and said no, he says “Well is there really a sandwich?”

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
For all his quirks, Dickie V has been FANTASTIC for college basketball. His passion, knowledge, and enthusiasm have siginificantly raised the level of entertainment and interest over the decades. I wish him the very best in recovery and hope to hear him behind the microphone in the future, God willing.

Reaction Score
Duke bias aside, DV is a quality, generous guy. Here in Sarasota and Lakewood Rach he not only reaches into his own pocket for local not-for-profit organizations, he uses his name and presence to help reach into everyone else's pockets.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Say what you want about the guy, but there is no one who loves the games or the fans more than him. Hope we hear him again soon!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
He’s like the Joe Buck of CBB. Can’t stand him doing games but voice just exudes “this is a big game.” Hopefully he comes back next year

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I know some of us are hard on him, and I rarely call him Dick, he's Dook Vitale to me. But the latest news is worrisome. His cancer treatments have affected his vocal chords. Sideline commentary with one eye is admirable but obviously impossible without vocal chords.

This is not an eulogy, because I can't see anything short of death, stopping him from calling games. I'm basically saying college basketball will be different this season, and somewhat 'quiet'.

I may not like his style but I will miss that pain in my arse this season. McDonald's should rename their All Star game after DV, or at least include his name in title. After all the players are 'Diaper Dandies'.

(I wonder if the young'uns really know who he is and what he meant to college basketball.)

ESPN's Dick Vitale done for season

I think we will find that is was an absolute blessing that he got out there at all in November.

He's a legend who did so much for this sport we all love. I never cared he was a shill sometimes. We all are. It never effected his passion for the game.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Without Dick, who will get hard in his place?

Jokes aside, he’s annoying on tv, but he has a heart of gold and a zest for life that the world needs more of.
He has to be one of the most positive people on this planet. But you’re 100% right. He can be doing Kentucky vs Auburn and it’s 2 hours of K/Duke propaganda

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I grew tired of him a few years ago. BUT..............when he came back this year for a couple games, I was glad to see and hear him again. I hope he has some time left.

I think this is it. He's a great ambassador for the game and his passion is still there. But, he's past his prime being able to call the game in a modern environment and it's clear he shills for a couple of coaches and programs.

Wish there was a way to keep him involved without doing games.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
I hope there's something in my life that I'm so passionate about that I'm still doing it at 82 years old

Reaction Score
He's one of those "voices of my youth" icons. I've happened to be out of the country for a couple of the NCAA title games recently and he was calling the title games for the international broadcast. I hope he's back in the future in some way...

Reaction Score
I hope there's something in my life that I'm so passionate about that I'm still doing it at 82 years old
My hope is particularly one horizontal activity. My father set the standard which I hope to continue at that age.

Reaction Score
My hope is particularly one horizontal activity. My father set the standard which I hope to continue at that age.
What Are You Doing Reaction GIF

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom