It's just not us....... | The Boneyard

It's just not us.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm am really sick and tired of suggesting our geography dictates the type of style our offense run.

I'm afraid that we are doomed to an old time high school offensive strategy of run, run, run, because 'it gets cold, it rains, the sun don't shine......blah, blah, blah. ......that's who we are. The problem with that is that strategy is old school even in CT.

There are a number of high school teams in Connecticut that play under the same weather conditions with local neighborhood kids, who plan to score more than 7 points, and are exciting and entertaining to watch.

Yep, the wind blows and hands get cold, but why is it that a FCS team from Maine, where weather can be much more severe, can find a QB that is accurate, has a strong arm, can throw the ball 40 yards downfield to receivers that can get open, catch, and run, and manages a much more exciting offense. The cold, wet, winter weather in Maine doesn't seem to detract from their efforts to recruit talented athletes.

I'm sick and tired of a lifeless strategy that presupposes "it's just not us" to develop a team that can be offensive minded like a Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis because of the weather. A win is a win.....7-3 scores will pack in the fans. Baloney!

We have a lifeless strategy because (1) our talent is more often than not rated at the bottom of the conference (2) our coaches can't develop what they recruit, (3) our coaches use a kindergarten primer as a playbook, (4) we are overmatched in talent, coaching, and strategy by our opponents.

P5 invite? are you kidding me? I may be stupid and have less athletic talent than a worm, but am not naïve.

Reaction Score
I'm am really sick and tired of suggesting our geography dictates the type of style our offense run.

I'm afraid that we are doomed to an old time high school offensive strategy of run, run, run, because 'it gets cold, it rains, the sun don't shine.blah, blah, blah. .that's who we are. The problem with that is that strategy is old school even in CT.

There are a number of high school teams in Connecticut that play under the same weather conditions with local neighborhood kids, who plan to score more than 7 points, and are exciting and entertaining to watch.

Yep, the wind blows and hands get cold, but why is it that a FCS team from Maine, where weather can be much more severe, can find a QB that is accurate, has a strong arm, can throw the ball 40 yards downfield to receivers that can get open, catch, and run, and manages a much more exciting offense. The cold, wet, winter weather in Maine doesn't seem to detract from their efforts to recruit talented athletes.

I'm sick and tired of a lifeless strategy that presupposes "it's just not us" to develop a team that can be offensive minded like a Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis because of the weather. A win is a win.....7-3 scores will pack in the fans. Baloney!

We have a lifeless strategy because (1) our talent is more often than not rated at the bottom of the conference (2) our coaches can't develop what they recruit, (3) our coaches use a kindergarten primer as a playbook, (4) we are overmatched in talent, coaching, and strategy by our opponents.

P5 invite? are you kidding me? I may be stupid and have less athletic talent than a worm, but am not naïve.

Good point.

If these run run pass people don't think that the wind blows HARD in Lubbock or that the weather gets cold and wet in Lexington (might as well be Ohio) then they just aren't well informed.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The guy used to coach a team in South Bend, Indiana, which could be viewed as an even harsher climate when Nov. rolls around than what you experience in East Hartford. Was he so obsessed with running his defense that he paid no attention to the offense those teams in South Bend were running? It certainly wasn't what we saw him run last night vs. Maine. If his excuse is you need better players at the skill positions to do it, then fine, go out and recruit some. You've had your chance at that already.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Diaco was definitely holding back his playbook, but it shouldn't have mattered. They should have been able to use just 8-10 offensive plays all night and beat Maine by 21.

And we are being too forgiving of the defense. There were two missed FG's, otherwise we lose that game. Maine had over 300 yards of offensive against UConn and the Husky defense did not cause one turnover despite some Collins' passes that spent a long time in the air.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have no problem with a grind it out offense if we can do it effectively. There were times with Edsal that everyone in the stadium new what was coming but the D had no way to stop it. When your o-line can't consistently give backs a decent hole against Maine, however, it probably makes sense to mix things things up a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom