It's just not the same | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It's just not the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I don't expect you to understand. Conversely, don't expect us to care about the tournament because it happens to be in your building.
No, I expect people to care because UCONN is playing.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
It is becoming clear the only people attending this thing will be the home school fans. Since that is the case, there is simply no reason we shouldn't host the tournament here since "centrality" is an irrelevant factor.

Ton of Louisville and Cincy fans in town...saw a handful of SMU fans on Beale.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
If you didn't go to the Garden, you don't even know what you are missing.

I know exactly what I'm missing. It's painful. However, what's more painful is listening to people complain and sh it on the tourney Uconn is actually playing in.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I know exactly what I'm missing. It's painful. However, what's more painful is listening to people complain and sh it on the tourney Uconn is actually playing in.

Why? I can hold two thoughts at one time... 1) I hope UConn wins the games they play; 2) I don't give a about this tournament being played on the Arkansas/Tennessee border. Which is how I feel about 'tournaments' like the 2K Sports.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
UofMemphis said:
^ I could bring you girls some midol and a gallon of ice cream... Man up!

Absolutely not. We've been dining on caviar and lobster for the last 25 years and now are being force fed government surplus cheese,

I tried to keep an open mind and then saw a cheese style 1970s awards banquet. And 1st day attendance for tournament was stunning. Looked like an NEC atmosphere.

Nice job there, fanner.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Ton of Louisville and Cincy fans in town...saw a handful of SMU fans on Beale.
Going to be like old times for some of us. The one thing I do like about the tournament in Memphis is that the fans stay in the arena and root against UC and UofL. Does make me feel like it is the late 90's...

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Going to be like old times for some of us. The one thing I do like about the tournament in Memphis is that the fans stay in the arena and root against UC and UofL. Does make me feel like it is the late 90's...

Reminds of of CUSA 1.0...Louisville, Cincy, Memphis, Marquette, St Louis, Charlotte (when they were good), UAB (when they were good)

Reaction Score
Muntz...I have really come around on Big East Olympic sports. The top end of the AAC may be better most years, but I just don't care about it. I mean, Cinci was largely an afterthought and now is our "big rival". Screw it...let's get out.

Let's give up football and any hope of a conference that pays more than $4m!?! Sound like a plan?

Reaction Score
Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria
Theoretically if Seton Hall and Providence both win, the Big East semis would have no Georgetown, Nova or St. John's. Not a huge draw.

Georgetown, St John's and Villanova were not draws for at least a decade or more.

Pitt, Cuse and UConn brought the fans.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Let's give up football and any hope of a conference that pays more than $4m!?! Sound like a plan?

If push came to shove, I think we could keep football in AAC. They clearly want 12 teams and who would they replace us with?

Reaction Score
Folks, we are actually pining for Greensboro right now--not New York. Remember, a big reason why we loved the BET was that UConn was always a national threat to win it all, and the BET was out launching pad. Playing in MSG and being irrelevant isn't going to give you the charge you think it is.

The destination is Greensboro.

Reaction Score
Very serious. Where are they going to go? Is there a #4 team in Oklahoma that I am not aware of?

I can think of several teams they can replace Uconn with. The Florida schools, Georgia St., Southern Mississippi (which also has a big fanbase), UAB, Old Dominion, Army. I'm sure there are others.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
I can think of several teams they can replace Uconn with. The Florida schools, Georgia St., Southern Mississippi (which also has a big fanbase), UAB, Old Dominion, Army. I'm sure there are others.

Just so I understand... Tulsa > FIU/FAU/Georgia State/So.Miss/UAB/ODU/Army > UConn?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Upstater HATES the C7, and will argue with anyone that has anything vaguely complementary to say about any of them.

Reaction Score
So, if Providence beats St. John's will they be in?

That game is on right now. Pretty interesting and I'm surprised its drawing such a large crowd. I expected less. Ticketmaster shows a lot of empty seats for the next few sessions.

Reaction Score
Just so I understand... Tulsa > FIU/FAU/Georgia State/So.Miss/UAB/ODU/Army > UConn?

Every team you listed doesn't move the dial, including UConn. At least with So. Miss. you have a school in the middle of a huge talent base, with a lot of fans, and schools won't have to travel far. Heck, these schools have rivalries with So. Miss. Ever check out what this AAC league looks like? We are ina conference centered around the Bayou!!!

Reaction Score
Upstater HATES the C7, and will argue with anyone that has anything vaguely complementary to say about any of them.

Wait a second, you too believe the AAC would let UConn play football with no other sports involved? Really?

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
So, if Providence beats St. John's will they be in?

That game is on right now. Pretty interesting and I'm surprised its drawing such a large crowd. I expected less. Ticketmaster shows a lot of empty seats for the next few sessions.
If they hold on this would be, no exaggeration, the biggest win of Cooley's career.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Folks, we are actually pining for Greensboro right now--not New York. Remember, a big reason why we loved the BET was that UConn was always a national threat to win it all, and the BET was out launching pad. Playing in MSG and being irrelevant isn't going to give you the charge you think it is.

The destination is Greensboro.

I think you want to read this from the Pitt board.
http://pittsburgh.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=538&tid=199212848&mid=199212848&sid=996&style=2

And this:
http://pittsburgh.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=538&tid=199199731&mid=199199731&sid=996&style=2

Last edited:
Reaction Score
St. john's chocking up at home. Lets hope Memphis is watching and could replicate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom