Its great to see us getting back | The Boneyard

Its great to see us getting back

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The past couple of games Ive seen weak side help, Ive seen better defense, I seen better team chemistry so I think we're getting to where we wanna be. The goal is still the NC so first we need to get healthy and I dont think we're there yet. We're still inconsistent and that is expected as we continue to have different lineups and kids coming back off injured reserve. With that said we dont know whats going on behind closed doors. Questions like is Caroline Dorka and Liv 100%? Im not sure but I would have to guess no not yet but they are healthy enough to get some playtime and we can already see the difference its made. Another question when will Paige be back? I thought by the end of this month but reports are saying thats not gonna happen.

When we were playing with a depleted team and when we only had 6 players playing we couldnt defend like we can now because we had to avoid foul trouble. So we pretty much had to go through the motions until the 4th quarter. That resulted in a couple of losses and some not so good games. Now we have the horses back. We have more threats on offense and we have depth. We were fortunate enough to have Caroline help carry us for a while, then we got Azzi back and she carried us for a while. Now teams have to come out and guard us opening things up down low. Having Caroline Azzi and Liv back has turned this team around. We are now a different team, a better team and most importantly we havent peaked yet. Listening to the announcers talk about it lets me know they realize what UConn has gone through and they are on the way back. The discussion they had yesterday talking about how would the NCAA decide who to put in UConns bracket and how would that team feel was worth mentioning. We are not the same team we were a few months ago. We arent gonna loose games and play like we did a few months ago. We now have to many weapons that can do so many things. Im not sayin we're where we want to be yet. We still have some kinks we need to iron out and we will which will only make us better. But you can see where we're headed.

Geno is still doing some experimenting with lineups and kids taking shots. It seemed apparent to me Geno wants Azzi to take more shots and she is and maybe shes pushing it a little bit but that too will be ironed out. The defense has gotten better. The offense looks better especially the passing. I love watching Caroline 6'2 up top with Edwards and Dorka/Liv down low. Thats alot of height to shoot over. It also helps rebounding and with weak side help. Yesterday we didnt play consistently. We had some great minutes and some not so great minutes but we scored 90 pts. Amari and Paith again got good minutes. Both are beginning to shine. As far as Paige goes it was said she wont be back for the regular season and thats fine with me because we wont need her. The BE tourney for UConn we start around March 4/5. Do we need her then??? Maybe. That decision is Paige Geno's and the medical staff. Then we have a few more days off before the NCAA's. That first round is in Storrs and the first and maybe the second game may not be really tuff and we may not need her then either. Then another few days off until the regionals which are in Bridgeport. This brings us to the end of March, March 26. So Paige has some time to get healthy and up to speed. We dont know if she will be ready or not this season. Either way Im sure we will hear more as the days/weeks move forward.

We have 3 games left. We will get a good look at what Geno is trying to accomplish with this team. We may see things we havent seen and have questions on why we're doing things, just remember Geno knows exactly what he is doing and he has reasons for doing it. There is a reason why Geno is playing 10 kids right now. IMO not everybody is 100% healthy and the second reason is because the kids who have been playing and holding the fort down waiting for the injured reserves to get back have earned their time and have shown it. My hope is after Sunday we will have the time off we need and we get healthy. Im hoping too that our injured reserve players can get more practice time instead of limited minutes at practice. When you look at the time we have before the Regionals we have little over a month. We should be up to speed by then and hoping no longer Paige-less

The remaining schedule Feb we have 3 games left in the regular season in 7 days. March 4-7 is the BE tourney and UConn will have at least one bye. The NCAAs here is the link.

Reaction Score
Great post Tony. I like watching them play. I enjoy the substitutions giving everyone a chance to play and contribute. I like it better when they win.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44
Top Bottom