It's February: Give the Freshmen a Break | The Boneyard

It's February: Give the Freshmen a Break

Reaction Score
There's a 1978 satirical movie called, Movie, Movie in which a doctor tells his patient (named Spats) that he only has one month to live. One month? I only have 30 days? Sorry Spats, says the doctor, but this is February. "It's February Spats" is a joke my wife and I have shared since then to describe something absurd. And nothing is more absurd than February.

I teach at a college that is quite academically demanding. Yet, I know that freshmen are good for very little between Thanksgiving and finals, and are only half as good in class the winter semester as in the fall. And the worst time for them (and therefore for me) is February.

Sure, they're old enough to vote or fight in Afghanistan. But they are still kids. And the first year of college, even when they don't give 20 hrs/week to the most intensive practices in WCBB and have a brutal travel schedule, just wears them down.

There is so much mental work in adjusting to being away from home, creating new social patterns, and figuring out how to survive in class. And then there's basketball, that starts at the beginning of November, and runs right through unrelentingly. Unlike the veterans, the freshmen just don't know what to expect and nothing wears you down as much as the unknown. Every away game is a new hotel, a new arena, etc. It's like taking a toddler to Disney World. At first, lots of wide-eyed energy and joy, but eventually decompensation and tears.

Ask any NFL player about their rookie season and they'll say college ball didn't prepare them for how long, intense, and different the game is. Or ask Stewie just how well she played her freshman year in February. Oh wait, she sort of didn't play, did she?

Sometimes I feel that what these kids need are milk and animal crackers, a nice story, and a short nap. Not really, of course, but sort of. As everyone says, the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores.

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Wonderful analysis bags.
But i'm not sure we want kids going backwards.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Bags, I've been sitting here defending Geno's decision to bench 2 freshmen, but your post has caused me to think back well over 40 years to my freshman year in college, and all of the struggles that entailed: athletically, academically and socially. Thank god you only have to go through that experience once in your life.

Reaction Score
Bags, I've been sitting here defending Geno's decision to bench 2 freshmen, but your post has caused me to think back well over 40 years to my freshman year in college, and all of the struggles that entailed: athletically, academically and socially. Thank god you only have to go through that experience once in your life.
Yes, and class is in session right now! The hard lessons we are all nostalgic about are happening as we speak, before our very eyes. Frankly, the way the boneyard is freaking out this morning and last night is tiresome.
I believe last night was the final lesson of their freshman season. They get it or they don't. Geno is seeing if he can get anything reliable or consistent from them in a big moment this year. They've got all the practices and about 6 games to do it before the real season starts. Otherwise it's mop up work and a body in practice. It doesn't really matter, but it would be nice to have a couple of more contributors. They've got to give Geno something he can hang his hat on. Like Camara hustling for that rebound last night and hitting the floor. He could put her in for 5 "balls-out" minutes on McCowan or Brown maybe. He's got to know what to expect right now. Walker and Coombs nope. They may give give you minutes but Geno is looking for sparks off the bench right now. You can't get an open look from the corner and miss the bucket by two feet.
UConn 2017-18 is readying for history. Enough of this angst about these freshmen. They'll either get it or they won't. Keep it moving! If they never play another minute of basketball the rest of their lives, this year has been the greatest basketball experience they've ever had. People on BY- stop acting like the program hurts children. You're being ridiculous!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Great post.

When I was a first-year, I spent a ton of time on coursework, did no extracurriculars, was stressed out all the time, and I was getting a mixture of As and Bs on my papers. By senior year, I worked way less on my courses, got straight As, was an editor on the student newspaper, and was far less stressed.

And I wasn't an athlete for a national championship contending basketball team playing for a legendarily demanding coach!

I really can't imagine how difficult it is.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
OD, I believe that life offers a lot more "Freshman Years" than the one that you describe. First time in school, whether preschool or later, your first time away from parents; Freshman year in high school, where everyone looks like giants, you hardly recognize anyone, and you are trying to figure out where in the massive building you are supposed to go next; your first real job, when you worry most days that your bosses and coworkers will realize that you know nothing; first parenting, when you don't know how to proceed, and are overwhelmed with the responsibility you face;. Each new job after the first, especially career changes, and retirement, when you must adjust to different demands, perhaps a new relationship with your spouse, and concomitant health and money worries.

I point this out because the freshman/basketball experience we are discussing incorporates many of the crossroads you see above, and helps learn ways to cope with them.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
OD, I believe that life offers a lot more "Freshman Years" than the one that you describe. First time in school, whether preschool or later, your first time away from parents; Freshman year in high school, where everyone looks like giants, you hardly recognize anyone, and you are trying to figure out where in the massive building you are supposed to go next; your first real job, when you worry most days that your bosses and coworkers will realize that you know nothing; first parenting, when you don't know how to proceed, and are overwhelmed with the responsibility you face;. Each new job after the first, especially career changes, and retirement, when you must adjust to different demands, perhaps a new relationship with your spouse, and concomitant health and money worries.

I point this out because the freshman/basketball experience we are discussing incorporates many of the crossroads you see above, and helps learn ways to cope with them.
No doubt you are correct. But there is something about that freshman year of college, being away from home for the 1st time, that brings with it not only challenges, but an inordinate amount of insecurity.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom