It's Cheaper to Hire an OC than Fire a HC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It's Cheaper to Hire an OC than Fire a HC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And a DC while we're at it. We just gave up 40+ to ECU. In fact, revamp pretty much the whole staff.

While the defense's performance was abysmal, ECU does have a pretty decent offense. On the other hand the offense made ECU's horrendous defense look like the 86 Bears. They freaking quadrupled their season sack total.

Reaction Score
I f UConn is going to go through all the machinations you describe, then just fire Diaco. you cant force coordinators down the HCs throat. They can tell Diaco to fire him, but he would likely say no.
So what? The door opens 2 ways. If rah rah doesn't like upper management directing him to hire a new, experienced, successful OC, and it could be one of his choice, and doesn't appreciate the OC will be expected to run and control the O, he can exit on his own. Yes, new managers, coaches included, are forced on underperforming employees. Suggesting otherwise borders between ignorance and naivety, but the door still opens 2 ways.

Reaction Score
The difference is DB makes BD make the change (w/ approval and parameters) but not force a specific someone on him... that's where things fall apart. Personalities are personalities - they need to mesh.

Don't "specific someones" get forced on hot-seat coaches as a matter of practice elsewhere?

Didn't find a specific example but came across this. . . .may or may not pertain to UConn's situation but is an interesting look from 2013 at how one second-tier SEC school (Miss. State) views offensive coordinators through the years. Salary thing is really interesting. MSU Offensive Coordinator Probs

Reaction Score
Don't "specific someones" get forced on hot-seat coaches as a matter of practice elsewhere?

Didn't find a specific example but came across this. . . .may or may not pertain to UConn's situation but is an interesting look from 2013 at how one second-tier SEC school (Miss. State) views offensive coordinators through the years. Salary thing is really interesting. MSU Offensive Coordinator Probs

Happened at WVU. Oliver Luck force Dana Holgerson on Bill Stewart and gave him the tag "coach in waiting" didn't sit right with some people but the offense got better in year one. More Richard esque

Reaction Score
A new OC changes nothing this season. This is the offensive scheme Diaco wanted and it is what you have until the season ends. Changing the OC next year probably has no significant change because of Diaco's basic philosophy, the lack of players to fit a more dynamic scheme and the turmoil of 3 OCs in 3 years.

I think you can look at BC that changed OC after last year. Same type of ineffective offense this year because the head coach has not changed his philosophy. The fired OC Fitch has an O that averages about 40 points and 530 yards per game this year at La Tech. Did he suddenly get more creative or does his new head coach have a philosophy that values high scoring, quick strike offense over a time Of possession and minimizing risk/turnovers point of view?

Diaco has to change his philosophy before there is any improvement or change in the offensive schemes. New bodies do not always result in changes. And nothing suggests to me that he has any intention of changing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A new OC changes nothing this season. This is the offensive scheme Diaco wanted and it is what you have until the season ends. Changing the OC next year probably has no significant change because of Diaco's basic philosophy, the lack of players to fit a more dynamic scheme and the turmoil of 3 OCs in 3 years.

I think you can look at BC that changed OC after last year. Same type of ineffective offense this year because the head coach has not changed his philosophy. The fired OC Fitch has an O that averages about 40 points this year at La Tech. Did he suddenly get more creative or does his new head coach have a philosophy that values high scoring, quick strike offense over a time Of possession and minimizing risk/turnovers point of view?

Diaco has to change his philosophy before there is any improvement or change in the offensive schemes. New bodies do not always result in changes.

If Frank Verducci got fired as OC today (like Van Gorder at ND earlier this year) it would at a very bare minimum show that failure isn't going to be tolerated. That very small change, cosmetic as it would be would show that people in charge care.

It's not the scheme that's the problem. It's the playcalling and learning quickly what does and doesn't work. RJ has not proved he (and the center and Gs) can get the tough yards up the middle yet there we were against UCF giving him the ball in a crucial 3rd and short situation.

Reaction Score
This is where it becomes Benedict's responsibility. We need an OC that can recruit and set up an offense. While I think Verducci has done a much better job calling plays, it's clear that the system is too complex for Shirreffs and the rest of the team. You know why Tony Franklin's system worked? All it took was athlete's and creative playcalling. If you could run and catch, you could play. I actually like the schemes Verducci has been running but at the same time they're pretty complicated if you don't have the right guys.
Complicated? To run an offense from shotgun unless it's 3rd or 4th and inches. Hand the ball off on first and second then pass on this and long? This is a simple offense, the coaching especially qb and ol coaches need to go. Those two position coaches are doing nothing to help. And I am sure diaco is the reason it's a simple offense and maybe verducci does have some plays, but this is not a complicated offense by any means

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
If Frank Verducci got fired as OC today (like Van Gorder at ND earlier this year) it would at a very bare minimum show that failure isn't going to be tolerated. That very small change, cosmetic as it would be would show that people in charge care.

It's not the scheme that's the problem. It's the playcalling and learning quickly what does and doesn't work. RJ has not proved he (and the center and Gs) can get the tough yards up the middle yet there we were against UCF giving him the ball in a crucial 3rd and short situation.

This, it isn't necessarily the scheme as we move the ball on drives and gain a bunch of yards. The playcalling in the red zone or in any remotely pressured situation is just embarrasing.

Overthought, overanalyzed, wastes time, and is terribly predictable.

Reaction Score
i don't know how a fellow BY hasn't wound up on the coaching staff?
So much self proclaimed knowledge and experience.

Maybe the admins could create a new section: Uconn Coaching tips. That way Benedict and Diaco will know where to go before any critical decisions are made.

Reaction Score
Overthought, overanalyzed, wastes time, and is terribly predictable.

Excellent description of the UConn football offensive thought process: a 60-year-old guy making sure he doesn't piss off the 40-year-old control freak who kept him in FBS football.

Reaction Score

Maybe the admins could create a new section: Uconn Coaching tips. That way Benedict and Diaco will know where to go before any critical decisions are made.

If discussions about coaching were banned from college football message boards that would probably eliminate about 80 percent of the content

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

One thing is for sure; the media absolutely comes to the Boneyard for its material. I'm not joking.

If you want to know what the headlines in the Hartford Courant sports section will be on Sunday, check out our top 5 threads on Saturday night...

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm a bit baffled that more on this board haven't been more vocal about our defense and I am furious with Diaco's postgame comments and the implication that if the offense compiled more first downs the defense would be fine.

Replacing some assistants and repurposing others this upcoming off season has to be an absolute. One move this past offseason that I have been curious about was moving coach Brown from LB to DL and flipping coach Wolthausen from DL to LB. While we did lose starters from both positions, the expectation for each was much higher than what we have seen. At a minimum I would like to see the two of them moved back to where they coached prior to this season. I also want to see a new CB coach (or have DC Poindexter coach the entire secondary). Reardon's track record prior to here was primarily DL & LB. I don't see him as the right fit for this position. The biggest change needed on our defense however is philosophy. We currently are designed to wait for the opposition to make a mistake on offense to get them off the field. For some reason our base defense is set to oppose a power running offense while the one possible team on our schedule that may qualify (Temple) is five days away. Our LB's and DB's have been out of position on most plays this year due to our design, not the opponent's creativity.

We need some changes but we also need to realize some issues may be what is being coached as opposed to who is coach.

Reaction Score
And will.

We're now 128 out of 130 teams in points per game

In the 100+ for yards per game.

Reaction Score
Happened at WVU. Oliver Luck force Dana Holgerson on Bill Stewart and gave him the tag "coach in waiting" didn't sit right with some people but the offense got better in year one. More Richard esque
This is what needs to be done. Hire an OC that is top notch, pay him extremely well to attract him here and name him coach in waiting for the season after Diaco's contract expires. Either Diaco leaves immediately due to the insult or he uses that time to improve the product so he has a chance to get hired somewhere after he leaves here. Either way, we win.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
This is what needs to be done. Hire an OC that is top notch, pay him extremely well to attract him here and name him coach in waiting for the season after Diaco's contract expires. Either Diaco leaves immediately due to the insult or he uses that time to improve the product so he has a chance to get hired somewhere after he leaves here. Either way, we win.

That's crazy. No self-respecting coach of Diaco's age would stand for it. That has been done only in situations when the HC is close to or past normal retirement age (65). A young coach would be tremendously insulted. In Stewart's case at WVU, he was tremendously insulted, judging from his subsequent behavior, and he fit the close to retirement age category.

Reaction Score
That's crazy. No self-respecting coach of Diaco's age would stand for it. That has been done only in situations when the HC is close to or past normal retirement age (65). A young coach would be tremendously insulted. In Stewart's case at WVU, he was tremendously insulted, judging from his subsequent behavior, and he fit the close to retirement age category.
So what would he do then? Yeah, he would resign. We win.

Reaction Score
In response to the title of the thread , unfortunately we did take the cheaper route in hiring Verducci.. but I think we shoulda shelled out a little more $$$ (less than Diaco $$$ of course) for a seasoned FBS level OC that can also recruit....

Reaction Score
Hire Wiest for 750K a year as the Senior HC and take away all his power other than the title and let him sit in a kiddy chair on the sidelines until he is embarrassed enough to leave. If he's still sitting there in 2 years, fire him. He doesn't deserve a dime of that 5MM.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Everyone's assuming Weist wants to come back...I'm not going to rehash why I don't think he's the savior we need, but rather posit something different: if USF keeps this success going, Weist may have interest in various positions that are above UConn HC.

Reaction Score
So, who'd be an OC that would jumpstart this offense? Who out there that is reputable that would fit what Diaco wants to do?

Reaction Score
Everyone's assuming Weist wants to come back...I'm not going to rehash why I don't think he's the savior we need, but rather posit something different: if USF keeps this success going, Weist may have interest in various positions that are above UConn HC.

SportSourceAnalytics@SportSourceA 1 day ago
The three FBS offenses this year that have scored 50+ TDs: @UofLFootball @USFFootball @TexasTechFB

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Anyone consider that defense is the issue? Why is Anthony Poindexter given a pass?

What if Vincent Brown was given D signal calling duties? He is technically co-defensive coordinator, but if Poindexter was given all the accolades for last year, shouldn't he get at least some blame for this year?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog