It's Cheaper to Hire an OC than Fire a HC | The Boneyard

It's Cheaper to Hire an OC than Fire a HC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Bingo. We are probably stuck with Diaco unless we have some sort of hidden sugar daddy out there with tens of millions of dollars who can pay the buyout and provide the backing to bring in a big name.

The first thing we have to do as soon as our dismal season comes to a merciful end after the Tulane game is show Frank Verducci and a few other assistants the door. We have a $72M AD budget but come in at around 7 or 8 in the AAC in terms of financial budget for football. That is unacceptable. We need to devote the serious money that other schools who are serious about football into the assistant coaches pool. Even if Benedict shoves a few coaches down Diaco's throat, the staff needs a MAJOR overhaul.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Because Coach Diablo is a micro-managing control freak who will dictate to the new OC every single facet of his job duties, including play calling. Nothing will change.

You've got to cut off the head of this dragon and declare him DOA.

Reaction Score
Because Coach Diablo is a micro-managing control freak who will dictate to the new OC every single facet of his job duties, including play calling. Nothing will change.

You've got to cut off the head of this dragon and declare him DOA.

This is where it becomes Benedict's responsibility. We need an OC that can recruit and set up an offense. While I think Verducci has done a much better job calling plays, it's clear that the system is too complex for Shirreffs and the rest of the team. You know why Tony Franklin's system worked? All it took was athlete's and creative playcalling. If you could run and catch, you could play. I actually like the schemes Verducci has been running but at the same time they're pretty complicated if you don't have the right guys.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Why pay Diaco $5 million in a buyout and hire a new HC at a significant raise? Why don't we hire a successful OC for $500k as that is much cheaper?

Diaco wont fire Verducci

Reaction Score
Correct UConnNick which is why he went with a first time OC. He wanted complete control over all of his assistants. Outside of firing him he needs to be given an ultimatum, bring in a true OC and hand the reigns over. Let him manage the clock as well. Diaco stays on as glorified defensive coordinator and frontman for the program. Anything short of that he'll continue to suck.

Dooley

Reaction Score
An AD making staff changes over the coach's head is not unheard of around college football. Heck, it happened here when Warde forced TJ Weist down PP's throat then ultimately named him interim coach. Benedict has to do the same if our program has any chance or moving into modern era football.

Reaction Score
Well, he's in a bind then. Verducci is not helping him keep his job, so it will be tough to stay loyal to him.

Bottom line, we need to bring in a young up and coming OC to reset the offense.

We need an experienced OC otherwise Diaco will still try to run the show.

Reaction Score
Diaco wont fire Verducci
Well, he's in a bind then. Verducci is not helping him keep his job, so it will be tough to stay loyal to him..

Verducci won't be the OC next year... My sense is Diaco has already been told what will happen one way ot the other based on my read of the comments he made today that Mike Anthony reported on. It will be done professionally.

20.jpg

Dooley

Reaction Score
Verducci won't be the OC next year... My sense is Diaco has already been told what will happen one way ot the other based on my read of the comments he made today that Mike Anthony reported on. It will be done professionally.

View attachment 16440

Agree. He sounds like a guy who has been told that staff changes will be coming. I hope we are planning on throwing the proper level of financial backing to filling out a top staff.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
We have short memories. Let's review the last time this happened. Our "monitoring" AD fires DeLeone and brings in Weist. I think we can all agree that the combo of Pasqualoni/Weist was an unmitigated disaster. Who knows what went on behind the scenes, but it sure didn't look like any kind of match, and to a certain extent you can't blame any head coach for resenting that situation. You just got slapped on the wrist by your boss who thinks he knows better than you what your team needs and how to do your job.

Why we think doing exactly the same thing again will produce different results is puzzling to me. It didn't work then and it's not going to work now.

Just fire Bobby and move the heck on.

Reaction Score
Diaco wont fire Verducci
So what? Nothing prevents Benedict on behalf of Hearst, the BoT, and sufficiently influential donors from stipulating Verducci (+ others?) goes and is replaced by a dynamic OC with good recruiting, player development, and game day success. A guy who will be given reigns on the O, keep the rah rah D coach focused on D and the overall program, and lay down the law. The party's over. If rah rah doesn't like the change, he has the option to depart for a defensive assistant job elsewhere. May not happen, but it clearly has happened and will occur elsewhere. Edit: junglehusky's not off the mark with his last post.

Reaction Score
We have short memories. Let's review the last time this happened. Our "monitoring" AD fires DeLeone and brings in Weist. I think we can all agree that the combo of Pasqualoni/Weist was an unmitigated disaster. Who knows what went on behind the scenes, but it sure didn't look like any kind of match, and to a certain extent you can't blame any head coach for resenting that situation. You just got slapped on the wrist by your boss who thinks he knows better than you what your team needs and how to do your job.

Why we think doing exactly the same thing again will produce different results is puzzling to me. It didn't work then and it's not going to work now.

The difference is DB makes BD make the change (w/ approval and parameters) but not force a specific someone on him... that's where things fall apart. Personalities are personalities - they need to mesh.

Reaction Score
You guys are missing it. Diaco needs a new Dietitian and a new paint in the locker room.

Dooley

Reaction Score
And a DC while we're at it. We just gave up 40+ to ECU. In fact, revamp pretty much the whole staff.

Absolutely. Offense gets most of the attention but our defense has been mediocre (at best) this year. And a special teams coach who can coach our guys to successfully field and return punts. Every yard counts and we give too many away on a game-by-game basis.

Reaction Score

Really short. Weist was hired but meddling DeLeone stuck around till P got canned.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Really short. Weist was hired but meddling DeLeone stuck around till P got canned.

I saw DeLeone (who I despised here) on the sidelines for Temple today, where he was calmly working with one of their lineman successfully.

The juxtaposition made me friggin ill...

Reaction Score
I saw DeLeone (who I despised here) on the sidelines for Temple today, where he was calmly working with one of their lineman successfully.

The juxtaposition made me friggin ill...
He and P seemed to have terrible dispositions here. Always annoyed it seemed.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
So what? Nothing prevents Benedict on behalf of Hearst, the BoT, and sufficiently influential donors from stipulating Verducci (+ others?) goes and is replaced by a dynamic OC with good recruiting, player development, and game day success. A guy who will be given reigns on the O, keep the rah rah D coach focused on D and the overall program, and lay down the law. The party's over. If rah rah doesn't like the change, he has the option to depart for a defensive assistant job elsewhere. May not happen, but it clearly has happened and will occur elsewhere. Edit: junglehusky's not off the mark with his last post.
I f UConn is going to go through all the machinations you describe, then just fire Diaco. you cant force coordinators down the HCs throat. They can tell Diaco to fire him, but he would likely say no.

UConnNick

Reaction Score

Sorry, fired as OC. I'm glad you pointed that out because it was an incredibly stupid move on Manuel's part to keep the demoted idiot around after he got canned as OC. That was just asking for more trouble. He should have been totally shitecanned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom