It's been put to rest the Big 10 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It's been put to rest the Big 10

Reaction Score
The Big Ten realized the world wasn’t ready for such a dominant conference and sandbagged it a bit. That’s all.

Reaction Score
EVERY year the NCCA committee salivate over the big 10. Why???????? There last champion was Michigan State in 2000 and before that it was Michigan in 1989. Sadly I don't think it will ever change. They will always have at minimum of 6 competing in the dance. ;):rolleyes:

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
The Big 10's best OOC wins this year: Clemson (twice), UConn, UNC (twice), Loyola, LSU.

LMFAO, I can't believe there were morons on here defending this league 3 days ago. Now they have been exposed.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I have been calling the Big Ten’s overrated trash can of teams all season.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
EVERY year the NCCA committee salivate over the big 10. Why???????? There last champion was Michigan State in 2000 and before that it was Michigan in 1989. Sadly I don't think it will ever change. They will always have at minimum of 6 competing in the dance. ;):rolleyes:
this has been bugging me for years, mostly because of deserving teams getting hosed for years. i like to think that there is a reason for most things, so im likely to wonder when i don't get something. going back to basics, i just took a look at the big ten conference wiki, and the very first sentence of the men's basketball
section is;

'The Big Ten has participated in basketball since 1904, and has led the nation in attendance every season since 1978.' (emphasis added)

it's very popular, the most popular live conference game going. i didn't know that, and if the all mighty selection group reflects this truth in their picks, it's at least something. not that much, but at least something to look at, for an answer.
still a lot of better teams getting hosed tho.
Big Ten Conference - Wikipedia

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Big. 12 getting obliterated as well. Not that it pleases me. But they are. Those looked like the clear two best conferences.

Reaction Score
Lol. You guys are funny. The big 10 fell into the same situation like the big east that sent 11 teams and got bounced just as fast. Thank God Uconn won it all that year.

Goliath gets slayed often during this time. The big boys and their young all Americans get bounced by the loaded mid major senior loaded teams.
Stop. The old Big East never performed this badly. The Big Ten hasn’t won a ship in 20 years and the tv networks continuously parade them as the best conference. Absolutely overrated, not even debatable anymore

Reaction Score
16 Teams
Actual Top 4 Seeds
Pac12 4 teams 0 teams
MidMjr 3 teams 1 teams
BE 2 teams 0 teams
SEC 2 teams 2 teams
ACC 2 teams 2 teams
AAC 1 team 1 teams
Big 10 1 team 5 teams
Big 12 1 team 5 teams

Seems mid majors and BE were overachievers and Pac 12 super over achievers vs seeds while Big 10 and Big 12 underperformed (Big 10 looked worse as 4 of 5 seeds were 1 or 2). 6 of 16 top 4 seeds made it to 2nd weekend with 8 of the 10 misses being in Big 10 and Big 12.

Could Bill Walton be the smartest talking head hyping the Pac 12 and Jay Bilas the dumbest (besides his 0 for 6 calls on the Bazz led 2014 championship run) for hyping the usual suspects in the Big 10/12?

Reaction Score
B10 is 7-8 which is appallingly bad when you realize they had two 1 seeds, two 2 seeds, a 4 seed, and 9 total seeds.

That the S16 is not even done yet and they only have 1 team left is legendary in how bad this conference performance is. In a normal year maybe there would be somewhat of an excuse, but this year they were given credit for beating up on each other and nothing more. Credit to the point where Oh St STILL got a 2 seed despite 4 straight losses to other, equally inflated B10 teams. Again, maybe that...COULD fly in a normal year with a very solid and undefeated OOC but it was very strange to see them as a 2 and Oral Roberts kind of proved that they were overseeded.

7 wins. 4 wins for the two 1 and 2 seeds SHOULD/"is" a given and they couldn't even pick up those 4, but still, 3 wins that are basically penciled in, you could almost sleepwalk through a game with a 15 and 16 and still win by 10. Ironically 2 of 3 lowest-seeded teams, Maryland and Rutgers probably have the most to be happy about, or are the least miserable of all B10 teams, as they basically helped the B10 avoid completely falling off a cliff.

Now Michigan, with its 2 wins, is really the only team left to carry the conference banner, and anything short of a FF will end in utter disaster for the conference, and making the FF will simply mean the B10 was NOT a complete disaster but not much more.

All of that to say, all of the above really makes it all the harder that UConn lost to such an average B10 team in what seems to be an overrated p5 conference. Ouch.

At the very VERY least they should have had 2 teams in the elite 8 and now Michigan needs to beat FSU to keep the B10 alive into the E8.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Stop. The old Big East never performed this badly. The Big Ten hasn’t won a ship in 20 years and the tv networks continuously parade them as the best conference. Absolutely overrated, not even debatable anymore
You must be very young or very forgetful. Big East sent 11 team which was the most of any conference to-date. Only Uconn and Marquette made the Sweet 16.

I can still hear Charles Barkley calling us the Big Least. Thank God Uconn won it all!

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
You must be very young or very forgetful. Big East sent 11 team which was the most of any conference to-date. Only Uconn and Marquette made the Sweet 16.

I can still hear Charles Barkley calling us the Big Least. Thank God Uconn won it all!
2 > 1. Just ask Tyler Olander.

Big East also had 4 teams play each other in the round of 32, meaning 2 automatically couldn't advance.

In the non-conference that year, the Big East had OOC wins over top 4 seeds: Kentucky (twice), Texas (twice), Wisconsin and Duke.

This year, the Big 10 hasn't beat a non-conference opponent better than a 7 seed. 2 wins vs Clemson, 2 vs UNC, UConn, Loyola and LSU. That's it. That's their resume. Terrible.

The Big 10 is wildly overrated by the media, this year and every year.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Overrated? Yes, especially when it comes to seeding. But can somebody point to any teams that should have been selected to field over some of the Big 10 teams? I think the correct teams probably got in but the seeding was definitely way off.

Reaction Score

You realize that is still better than the Big 10, right?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Overrated? Yes, especially when it comes to seeding. But can somebody point to any teams that should have been selected to field over some of the Big 10 teams? I think the correct teams probably got in but the seeding was definitely way off.
I can't speak for everyone on the board, but I think the issue with the Big 10 isn't that they got 9 teams in (agreed that whoever replaces teams like Rutgers, Michigan St, Maryland or Wisconsin wouldn't be world beaters themselves) but it's the fact that the media hyped them up all year as this legendary unbeatable conference who was way over-seeded and came up short on the biggest stage.

If anything, the Big 10 in March should be an "underdog" story like Gonzaga, seeing how they haven't won a title in 20 years. But instead, every year the bobble heads on TV take about them like they are on the same level as the ACC or OBE.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I can't speak for everyone on the board, but I think the issue with the Big 10 isn't that they got 9 teams in (agreed that whoever replaces teams like Rutgers, Michigan St, Maryland or Wisconsin wouldn't be world beaters themselves) but it's the fact that the media hyped them up all year as this legendary unbeatable conference who was way over-seeded and came up short on the biggest stage.

If anything, the Big 10 in March should be an "underdog" story like Gonzaga, seeing how they haven't won a title in 20 years. But instead, every year the bobble heads on TV take about them like they are on the same level as the ACC or OBE.

And before someone comes in again with the "well they have X final fours and Y championship appearances since 2000" non-sense. Don't try to defend mediocrity. This is UConn. We know what it's like celebrate titles, not "almosts". Act like it.

Winning >>>>> almost winning.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
It is extremely laughable that a team like Loyola-Chicago, who is top 10 in every statistic in the nation, gets an 8 seed and Wisconsin, Maryland, and Rutgers are seeded at 9/10. How does the committee look at those teams and say yes they are very close to each other? I was extremely happy to see the Ramblers spank Illinois. It was almost like the committee wanted to punish Loyola and they were not having it.

Reaction Score
this has been bugging me for years, mostly because of deserving teams getting hosed for years. i like to think that there is a reason for most things, so im likely to wonder when i don't get something. going back to basics, i just took a look at the big ten conference wiki, and the very first sentence of the men's basketball
section is;

'The Big Ten has participated in basketball since 1904, and has led the nation in attendance every season since 1978.' (emphasis added)

it's very popular, the most popular live conference game going. i didn't know that, and if the all mighty selection group reflects this truth in their picks, it's at least something. not that much, but at least something to look at, for an answer.
still a lot of better teams getting hosed tho.
Big Ten Conference - Wikipedia
attendance makes sense because other than Northwestern they are all large state flagship U's where the winters are cold. Compare that to the ACC where it has 4 programs in NC alone plus a dreg like BCU. These conferences are making big bucks with their television deals so of course the media are going to pump them up. 9 teams though. There needs to be an investigation!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
now that, as usual, rankings/ratings/pompoms and netbombs, have been mostly used to screw over soo many non-bigbutt teams, take a look at the 'net' list, and honestly ask 'how many on this bogus list should have been given a chance, but for this bogus list?' start at oral roberts, #158, and work backwards. having seen some of these abused squads, and then adding in appreciation for some others very good record, i count more than a few that should have had a chance.
only very few each year realistically have a chance to win it all, so why not mix up the mess for the pool of teams that will, garuntee, not cut down the 'nets?'
NET Ranking 2021 College Basketball | WarrenNolan.com
it's all judgement anyway (that college football playoff nonsense is the biggest scam. hard to top that bs) so why not share the wealth?

navy got hosed. the team that they beat 3 times (l-m) beats them in the conference tourney, so poof! they're garbage. 15-3 garbage, with two starters out due to covid for that game. even with their strict shutdown for covid, who does it hurt to give them the respect of a bid that would likely be refused, yet filled in 2 seconds from the list? it's not like that program regularly gets a nod, but it's a big deal for them to even be so recognized. 15-3.
'Georgetown became the second school that lost to Navy this season to earn an automatic berth into the NCAA tournament. Navy also beat Mount St. Mary’s, which captured the Northeast Conference tournament title.'
two conference champions. and they were their regular season conference champion but that league declared that there will be no conference regular season champ this year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It doesn't really matter because they lost, but Michigan State may of been inches from the Sweet 16. They really blew it against UCLA. Michigan State probably beats BYU and Abilene as well.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Big 10 got the big computer rankings and better seeds by playing more games. I think someone on the board suggested UConn do that.

Reaction Score
2 > 1. Just ask Tyler Olander.

Big East also had 4 teams play each other in the round of 32, meaning 2 automatically couldn't advance.

In the non-conference that year, the Big East had OOC wins over top 4 seeds: Kentucky (twice), Texas (twice), Wisconsin and Duke.

This year, the Big 10 hasn't beat a non-conference opponent better than a 7 seed. 2 wins vs Clemson, 2 vs UNC, UConn, Loyola and LSU. That's it. That's their resume. Terrible.

The Big 10 is wildly overrated by the media, this year and every year.
You can't include the additional information fairly because OOC playing was hampered. The point is the Big 10 loosing doesn't mean a conference was/is overrated. George mason would not have won a series against Uconn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom