It's been a decade... | The Boneyard

It's been a decade...

Reaction Score
...since we've had a powerhouse, wire-to-wire great team.

The 77-74 thread motivated me to take a stroll down memory lane. As crazy as it is that it's been 20 years since that great night in Florida, it's just as crazy that it's been a full decade since we've had a truly great team. The 2008-2009 Final Four team went 31-5, 15-3 in the best/toughest year in the history of the Big East; Louisville, Pitt, and Villanova were all really good teams and the conference had three #1 seeds in the Big Dance. I'll never forget that pounding we handed Louisville in Freedom Hall that year when we were #1 and they were #5. We won 11 games vs ranked opponents that season. In the last five seasons, we've won three (we're 3-23).

I wouldn't trade our last two national titles for anything but it is wild to look at where we've been as a program the last ten years. The fewest losses we had in a single season was 8, during the 2014 championship season. Nine times between 1994 and 2009 we had fewer than 8 losses; seven of those seasons it was five losses or fewer. Eight out of the last 10 years we've lost double-digit games, including the last five seasons.

Those really were the good old days. We were as good as any program in the country and in the best league. I don't know what the point of this thread is outside of nostalgia, reminiscing, and a reality check. It's a slow Friday in the office.

Reaction Score

The 77-74 thread motivated me to take a stroll down memory lane. As crazy as it is that it's been 20 years since that great night in Florida, it's just as crazy that it's been a full decade since we've had a truly great team. The 2008-2009 Final Four team went 31-5, 15-3 in the best/toughest year in the history of the Big East; Louisville, Pitt, and Villanova were all really good teams and the conference had three #1 seeds in the Big Dance. I'll never forget that pounding we handed Louisville in Freedom Hall that year when we were #1 and they were #5. We won 11 games vs ranked opponents that season. In the last five seasons, we've won three (we're 3-23).

I wouldn't trade our last two national titles for anything but it is wild to look at where we've been as a program the last ten years. The fewest losses we had in a single season was 8, during the 2014 championship season. Nine times between 1994 and 2009 we had fewer than 8 losses; seven of those seasons it was five losses or fewer. Eight out of the last 10 years we've lost double-digit games, including the last five seasons.

Those really were the good old days. We were as good as any program in the country and in the best league. I don't know what the point of this thread is outside of nostalgia, reminiscing, and a reality check. It's a slow Friday in the office.

I said something similar to my 18 year old, UConn basketball fanatic, son a few weeks ago at the AAC Tournament in Memphis. I was telling him how much I missed walking into game venues feeling confident that the Huskies would win. We still wear our UConn gear to every game, but don't wear it with the same swagger that we could back in the day. I'm looking forward to a return of that confidence.

Reaction Score
The past 2 decades, we had the talent to win 6 NC's, maybe more. Calhoun knew how to recruit.

Reaction Score
Everything in the original post is true. I dont want to rehash everything everybody already knows, but there are a few different ways to look at it. 2009 was the last time we were ranked #1 and had a dominant team wire to wire. We lost 9 games in 2011, but we still won a lot of games that year and went into the NCAA Tournament as a 3 seed and won the National Championship. 2012 was one of our most talented rosters ever and were ranked top 5 in the pre season polls. I dont know if it was the Championship hangover, or Calhoun/Boatright missing games, but that group just never seemed to click. 2013 was Ollie’s first season and with the APR ban, that team played well all things considered. 2014 we won the National Championship, and when you look at that regular season, that was a very solid team outside of playing Louisville. The last time we were ranked was the night we lost to Wagner.

From that point on, thats when things go under. Roster turnover, recruiting, and injuries are the main reasons for this in my opinion, and 2 of those 3 things can be fixed with our new coach.

Reaction Score
I'd settle for a fun scrappy underdog team like in 2011 or 2014.
Even if they don't go as far as those two. At least for me. God, I am dying just for a S16 appearance at this point! Even a heartbreaking loss to a 2 seed as a 7 in Round 2. Something!

I think in two years we will start to have those feelings again.

But at this point there has been almost zero to be excited about the past 4 years. I count like 5 things: 1. The shot vs Cincy 2. Colorado win 3. Oregon last year 4. Cuse this year. 5. Cincy in OT came close so really just 4.

I think by year three in the Hurley regime we will literally double that list in just a year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

That was without Dyson at the end too

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
But at this point there has been almost zero to be excited about the past 4 years. I count like 5 things: 1. The shot vs Cincy 2. Colorado win 3. Oregon last year 4. Cuse this year. 5. Cincy in OT came close so really just 4.

I think by year three in the Hurley regime we will literally double that list in just a year.

Wow. That really illustrates how atrocious the last 4 years have been. Quite a contrast to the prior 20.

Reaction Score
Take away those March runs and those teams were frustrating at times. Our powerhouse teams beat the piss out of everyone and that was always awesome to watch.

Absolutely... I'm too lazy to search, but there was a great deal of anger towards Kemba in the middle of the season; his shooting was atrocious.

v. Pitt 10-27
v. USF 7-18
v. ND 8-23
v. Tex 8-27
v. Nova 6-18
v. Tenn 6-17
v. Marq 5-16
v. Louisv 7-23
v. Cuse 3-14
v. Seton Hall 7-19
v. St. John's 4-16

Reaction Score
Absolutely... I'm too lazy to search, but there was a great deal of anger towards Kemba in the middle of the season; his shooting was atrocious.

v. Pitt 10-27
v. USF 7-18
v. ND 8-23
v. Tex 8-27
v. Nova 6-18
v. Tenn 6-17
v. Marq 5-16
v. Louisv 7-23
v. Cuse 3-14
v. Seton Hall 7-19
v. St. John's 4-16

I can't remember for sure but I think he shot under 40% from the field in conference play. It's a big reason why Ben Hansbrough won Big East POY. Kemba was absolutely insane in OOC/tournaments that year but pretty pedestrian in conference play.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I can't remember for sure but I think he shot under 40% from the field in conference play. It's a big reason why Ben Hansbrough won Big East POY. Kemba was absolutely insane in OOC/tournaments that year but pretty pedestrian in conference play.

This is turning into a 2011 thread but people were all over Kemba as we stumbled through conference play 9-9.

But he was double and triple-teamed. He had a very young supporting cast that was taking time to develop. Those kids (and Kemba) clicked at the right time.

Reaction Score
This is turning into a 2011 thread but people were all over Kemba as we stumbled through conference play 9-9.

But he was double and triple-teamed. He had a very young supporting cast that was taking time to develop. Those kids (and Kemba) clicked at the right time.
That was a different conference so 9-9 was not like 9-9 in this conference. Epic run through BE and tourney..

Reaction Score
Rebranding killed us... very symbolic to our history.
2014 was a nice treat though.

Reaction Score
nice watching UNC get pummeled. Look forward to Roys presser and his puppy dog act.

Reaction Score
It hasn't been an easy decade but we still have two coaches who, with less talent, have just as many championships as the squid does between 2010 and 2019. So I'll take it!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom