It's been 12 years since we started playing 1A football | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It's been 12 years since we started playing 1A football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No not a sucker just don't have time with kids activities to go to all the games

If you know you can't make all of the games it makes perfect sense not to buy season tickets. But that wasn't the point you were making.

If you were to go to all of the games (which you can't--so this doesn't really apply to you), there are plenty of season tickets available that don't require donations, and the game tickets are either $25 or $30 face value. I suppose you could get them cheaper than that from stub hub (or whatever)...but that seems tough to quibble about in my opinion if you are really a supporter of the program.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not really, BCU graduates about 2,000 a year. BTW, please point out to me where I indicated that was all UConn had to do to sell out?

Besides you missed the point. Big time football was NOT part of the college football experience for UConn students until very recently. Therefore, there was no connection to the football team like there s to the basketball team. There wasn't this great game or week end that was one of the highlights from your undergraduate days.

What I'm saying is that recent grads have a memory of the fun of the games that fans before 2000 don't. They have a much stronger connection. Over time, this will make a huge difference. These are the folks who become your hardcore.

It also impacts, who watches the games on TV, who buys jerseys, who raises their kids as UConn fans, who donates to the program.

These are all extremely important and they take time to develop. But I believe after a dozen years, we are out of the embryonic stage.

I got your point. There are a hundred schools that have graduated enough kids to sell out their stadium many times over. Plenty don't. It isn't quite that simple.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you think the students are into the games when the team doesn't have a good record, you must have skipped the Louisville game.

Reaction Score
Let's see every open practice, spring games, South bend , Ann arbor,Fiesta bowl, Papa John,WV,Pitt,and Cinn. Ohh forgot national signing day,that should do it. Feel my support yet?

Fair points. So are you not going to renew because of expense (given that you went to all of those away games I just don't buy your premise)? Or are you not going to renew because you have to miss games because of kids activities (meaning you have to miss games)? Because they are really two different issues. It is hard to argue that (other than the chair back seats) it is an expensive proposition. I'd argue that most people spend more money tailgating during the year than they spend on the seats.

That being said...all of us that have been through having young kids have had issues in this regard. My oldest FINALLY started being interested and goes to every game (even the night games) and stays till the final bell no matter the score. My younger one could care less and only makes 1 game a year. Half the time it is just me and my oldest son (my wife comes when we can get someone to watch the little one). So I've been forced with the decision:

a) buy enough season tickets for the whole family even though some will go to waste
b) buy season tickets for 2 of us and buy extras when the need arises
c) don't buy season tickets at all and go on a game-by-game basis

I picked a), because I think it is important to support the program and b) and c) are more of a headache for me to deal with (scalping, parking, etc)...I like having the convenience of knowing where I sit, who I sit with, having a parking pass in blue lot...but it is a value judgement. With regards to hoops, I don't always buy season tickets, because I work in NY and can't get to any of the weekday games and for some reason the tickets are impossible to give away (because the school doesn't have an electronic way to transfer the tickets).

My feeling is...if you can get to most of the games, and you can afford it, you should buy season tickets. I'm not going to condemn you if you don't, but that's my opinion.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the feedback its giving me a whole different view, I'll consider it for next season,thanks again.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The first 12 years have been an incredible success, once again, an incredible success.

The next 12 will depend on the leadership of the university, the athletic department, and the football program.

Ultimately, this is an entertainment venture. It needs to be entertaining to the fans who will in turn support the program. It has been a rocket ride so far that in the future may plateau, fall back to Earth or push through to the next level. That will be dependent on winning games against better competition. Boise got zero love until they beat OU, VT, and Georgia. TCU, not until they beat a strong Wisconsin team. We have yet finish in the top 25. Beating Umass does nothing for us except bring a higher walk up gate than Tx Southern and Buffalo.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
I got your point. There are a hundred schools that have graduated enough kids to sell out their stadium many times over. Plenty don't. It isn't quite that simple.
No it isn't that simple as I said. However, it is an important milestone for UConn.

Reaction Score
I went to UConn completely in the Rent era. I was there for the first bowl game and my first ever game as a UConn student was the first Rent game. I can tell you the students don't care about football much. At least not thru 4 yrs ago when I graduated. Games were off campus and people didn't feel like getting up at 7 am to get there for a tailgate the day after a night of hard partying. Those who did used the games as another reason to get drunk. No one cared about the outcome. Time will tell if that attitude changes with more success but from my recent experience as a student, football still doesn't have much student support or interest. It's good to see younger kids more interested in the team than ever before though, perhaps that will help with the attitude of the student body once those kids get to campus.

The student section was sold out the last few years. The allocation was increased by >10% in 2011 and sold before Aug. and this despite the travel incoveinence. This section allocation is almost 2x of a school like Cinci with a stadium in the middle of campus. I imagine it will evolve like the rest of the program and fanbase.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Thanks Duncan. Glad to hear it. Students sound much more enthusiastic now than in my time there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom