It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia | The Boneyard

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Most of the way through season 1. This is a solid B+ sitcom so far. I would recommend it, but do not want to set unrealistic expectations. The male characters are all very strong. I feel like the writers are not sure yet what to do with the sister.

Reaction Score
It gets better. At it's peak, it rivals arrested development.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
One of my daughters loves the show. She binge watches it on Netflix and insists that I should watch it. I'll have to check it out.

Reaction Score
Two things:

1. I have heard from others AND experienced with my girlfriend that people from the UK do not understand the humor of season 1, and they should just start with season 2. Random but true.

2. It might not be a show that is consistently funny for every episode, the whole 30 mins, but Always Sunny has caused me to have the most extreme laughter of anything I have ever watched. I'm not someone who laughs easily at things, but this gives me genuine laughter.

Reaction Score
Two of the funniest (relatively) recent series:

Sunny
Workaholics.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Season 1 was a miss for me but it got considerably better after that.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Two things:

1. I have heard from others AND experienced with my girlfriend that people from the UK do not understand the humor of season 1, and they should just start with season 2. Random but true.
Season 1 was a miss for me but it got considerably better after that.

Danny DeVito completely changes the entire dynamic of the show. Everything just works so much better when he's a part of the ensemble.

Reaction Score
An all time favorite of mine. Reminiscent of Seinfeld in that the show is literally about nothing, but is still consistently funny over now 12 seasons. Can I interest anyone in a rousing game of Chardeemacdennis while we wash down a few Wolf Colas?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Bored, I watched one last night. Wolf Cola became the official drink of Boca Harum. And two other guys pushed Fight Milk to the MMA.

It was kinda funny.

Years ago I saw one where they all became a garbage collection company using a limo.

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
I'm, only 4 seasons in, but Charlie Day's character is fantastic and it was fun seeing McPoyle with a big role in WestWorld.

I still can't figure out the alternate meaning for "pecan sandie" can anyone help?

Reaction Score
I've got DeVito & Mary Tyler Moore as 1A and 1B on best two characters in 2 comedy sitcoms. Amazing how different Louie and Frank Reynolds are from seemingly limited physical bag of tools.

2A might be Al Bundy and Jay, 2B is Elaine and Selina Meyer VEEP

I haven't watched anything Ted Danson has done since Cheers, but he might be the only one with three comedy sitcom hits - just don't know if the characters are actually different and certainly not as different as DeVito's.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Show doesn't start in earnest until Frank shows up in season 2. There was a few down seasons in the late middle but it's one of my 4 all time comedies.

Office
Seinfeld
Parks and Rec
Sunny

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I've got DeVito & Mary Tyler Moore as 1A and 1B on best two characters in 2 comedy sitcoms. Amazing how different Louie and Frank Reynolds are from seemingly limited physical bag of tools.

2A might be Al Bundy and Jay, 2B is Elaine and Selina Meyer VEEP

I haven't watched anything Ted Danson has done since Cheers, but he might be the only one with three comedy sitcom hits - just don't know if the characters are actually different and certainly not as different as DeVito's.

Al Bundy and Jay is a great example, because those two are polar opposites. On the other hand, I think VEEP is basically a show about what would happen if Elaine Bettis because Vice President, and I am a big VEEP fan.

Becker was generic sitcom, and I only watched a few episodes. Ted Danson was very good in Bored to Death, which was definitely off character with his Sam Malone character.

Reaction Score
Al Bundy and Jay is a great example, because those two are polar opposites. On the other hand, I think VEEP is basically a show about what would happen if Elaine Bettis because Vice President, and I am a big VEEP fan.

Becker was generic sitcom, and I only watched a few episodes. Ted Danson was very good in Bored to Death, which was definitely off character with his Sam Malone character.

I'd add The Good Place for Danson. He's very different than Cheers. Show only had one intro season, which my family enjoyed (Kristen Bell is pretty great in most things). It was funny throughout the season, but took a definite step towards great in the last episode.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This show is awesome, much better with DeVito. I will say that it is hard to binge watch because they characters are so unlikable. I can do 2, maybe 3 episodes in a row, then I have to take a break for a few days.

Reaction Score
I have only caught about half the episodes from this upcoming season. Episodes 6 and 12 were phenomenal.

Reaction Score
This show is awesome, much better with DeVito. I will say that it is hard to binge watch because they characters are so unlikable. I can do 2, maybe 3 episodes in a row, then I have to take a break for a few days.

You are spot on, I just couldn't put my finger on it. I always compare this show to arrested development, yet I can watch and rewatch an entire season of AD no problem. While the Always Sunny episodes are sometimes just as funny, every character is a total dirtbag ... you feel guilty watching after awhile.

We had a friend and his wife over one night .... drinking wine, and I had this brilliant idea to put on the episode where D is dating the mentally challenged rapper. They had never seen the show before, afterwords my wife's friend actually said she was disappointed in me b/c I thought the show was funny.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You are spot on, I just couldn't put my finger on it. I always compare this show to arrested development, yet I can watch and rewatch an entire season of AD no problem. While the Always Sunny episodes are sometimes just as funny, every character is a total dirtbag ... you feel guilty watching after awhile.

We had a friend and his wife over one night .... drinking wine, and I had this brilliant idea to put on the episode where D is dating the mentally challenged rapper. They had never seen the show before, afterwords my wife's friend actually said she was disappointed in me b/c I thought the show was funny.

The show goes too far, a lot.

Reaction Score
Thank you for making this thread. It made me re-watch all these episodes from seasons 2-5 I watched when they premiered. Damn this show was something else back then. Even as a huge fan still today, when watching episodes from like 2006, I was somewhat shocked at the language and scenarios they got away with airing, speaking to how much PC culture has changed comedy.

The show does "go too far" and does get straight up "dark" at times. But what has been considered "going too far" on tv has changed a LOT over the last 10 years. Like your example shows, the use of "dumb" and "retard" has become nearly taboo since that episode came out (not because of it, but definitely temporally associated). Comedy has really gone down the s---er as PC culture has risen to prominence. I find the offensiveness and -baggery of the characters "funny" in that I can't help but laugh at how ridiculous their worldviews and logic are. People forget now that characters in comedy are often charicatures. Comedy is taken way too seriously these days.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I like the show, but I am down to once a week. I think I am in season 7 or 8. The show is still funny, but I really hate the characters now. Dennis is a sociopath, Dee is a pathetic, needy loser, and Mac is a tool. I like Charlie, but feel guilty laughing at him because he is clearly special needs. Frank is disgusting and manipulative. I need to think less about what I am watching in order to enjoy this show.

Reaction Score
I like the show, but I am down to once a week. I think I am in season 7 or 8. The show is still funny, but I really hate the characters now. Dennis is a sociopath, Dee is a pathetic, needy loser, and Mac is a tool. I like Charlie, but feel guilty laughing at him because he is clearly special needs. Frank is disgusting and manipulative. I need to think less about what I am watching in order to enjoy this show.
I take a meta approach to dealing with the characters, they are just way too absurd and that MAC is writer producer amazes me that he has no shame in what he'll portray.

Reaction Score
Love the show. As a PA Guy I love The Philly References. I watched a few older episodes over the weekend and was laughing my ass off. Phlipadelphia, Lethal Weapon 5, The Nightman Musical, Wrestling for the troops are just a few gems that I re-watched. What a great show.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom