It's already starting.... the 2012 hype machine | The Boneyard

It's already starting.... the 2012 hype machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ESPN is already starting with the "next year they will be a team to beat" hype for FSU and ND. Think it was McShay and another analyst, stating the Champs Sports Bowl was their most interesting game before Jan 2 because FSU and ND were a year away this year, and should be 2 of the best next year.
I could have sworn they were both a year away last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, and.....

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
At least they seem to have given up on the "U".

Reaction Score
Nah, Miami-Maryland will still be the marquee game of the opening weekend next season. Can't miss action.

Reaction Score
At least they seem to have given up on the "U".

Only until Golden clears up Shannon's mess. ND will always be a team that is overrated because of their extensive, although borderline ancient, history. And FSU? I'll never understand the desire to pump them up year after year even when they really don't seem to be too good. What really sucks about this stuff is that some teams get to hover around the top of the polls without ever proving anything and it takes forever for them to fall, if they fall far at all. Then they get to benefit from some half assed BCS standings and get into position to be over hyped yet again.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Golden's a good coach, with the talent in Miami he'll have them winning 9 games in the next year or two.

FSU's best win was over 7-5 NC State, and that translates to "team of destiny". I guess we should expect ESPN to hype at least one or two ACC teams every offseason for however long their TV contract lasts.

Reaction Score
Golden's a good coach, with the talent in Miami he'll have them winning 9 games in the next year or two.

FSU's best win was over 7-5 NC State, and that translates to "team of destiny". I guess we should expect ESPN to hype at least one or two ACC teams every offseason for however long their TV contract lasts.

Well you have to remember that FSU was a whopping 8-4 last season. That was good enough for them to manufacture some sort of "championship rings" and to fool a lot of people into thinking they could play for the title. If they should beat ND, the media may anoint them as the greatest team of all time.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
give it a couple weeks. texas will get more talk than anyone.

Reaction Score
Only until Golden clears up Shannon's mess. ND will always be a team that is overrated because of their extensive, although borderline ancient, history. And FSU? I'll never understand the desire to pump them up year after year even when they really don't seem to be too good. What really sucks about this stuff is that some teams get to hover around the top of the polls without ever proving anything and it takes forever for them to fall, if they fall far at all. Then they get to benefit from some half assed BCS standings and get into position to be over hyped yet again.
Good point about teams being given gifts in terms of their Poll position based on preseason rankings....I know some media folks have advocated not doing any polls for the first month of the season-this would definitely help expose many of the "pretenders" each year. Not all of them of course, but a lot of teams are exposed by that point in the season.

Reaction Score
The same thing was being said going into last year's Sun Bowl Game between ND vs. Miami. I will admit, growing up in the 80s, this was one of my favorite games to watch. It was being hyped for the old rivarly and two teams pointed in the right direction for this year. The game was terrible, as Miami never showed up.

Anyway, FSU got the same hype earlier this year, as I believe they were Top 5 when they played Oklahoma. Since then, crickets...

I often wonder, if UConn Basketball has a mediocre 5-10 year run, will we always be continually pumped up that the next great season is right in front of us?

Reaction Score
The same thing was being said going into last year's Sun Bowl Game between ND vs. Miami. I will admit, growing up in the 80s, this was one of my favorite games to watch. It was being hyped for the old rivarly and two teams pointed in the right direction for this year. The game was terrible, as Miami never showed up.

Anyway, FSU got the same hype earlier this year, as I believe they were Top 5 when they played Oklahoma. Since then, crickets...

I often wonder, if UConn Basketball has a mediocre 5-10 year run, will we always be continually pumped up that the next great season is right in front of us?[/quote]

Not by ESPN. They're all but embarrassed by their geographic association with UConn, or so it seems. They have done nothing to help the UConn football program - or D1 football in New England. Gee, may they can do another College Game Day up at Williams and then jet away to real college football action. What a joke that day was. Why not do the show from a Pee Wee Football game (oh look how cute they are, real helmets and shoulder pads, just like the older kids).

Reaction Score
To each their own....

I actually really liked when College Gameday went to the Williams game. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't tune in for D-3 football on a weekly basis, but I liked the change of pace, and the fact that they showed teams that do balance academics and athletics in a way that is certainly impressive. College football is more in tune with tradition than any major sport and I like their acknowledgement of that with that unique bit of coverage.

I think if they did it regularly they would be making a mistake. I think the way they did it just once worked out perfectly actually.
To me, it was like a celebration of what is good about student-athletes in general.

Reaction Score

Not by ESPN. They're all but embarrassed by their geographic association with UConn, or so it seems. They have done nothing to help the UConn football program - or D1 football in New England.

What does ESPN owe UConn football or D1 football in New England? They are a business that is only concerned about the bottom line. Why should the be concerned about UConn football or D1 football in New England?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
To each their own....

I actually really liked when College Gameday went to the Williams game.

I was stunned when Corso started talking about the Clark Art Institute. The place really is awesome.

Reaction Score
ESPN is already starting with the "next year they will be a team to beat" hype for FSU and ND. Think it was McShay and another analyst, stating the Champs Sports Bowl was their most interesting game before Jan 2 because FSU and ND were a year away this year, and should be 2 of the best next year.
I could have sworn they were both a year away last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, and.....
That's what they said last year about FSU. And the year before that, too. I'm sure if I hunted hard enough I could come up with examples. Hell, ESPN had them ranked in the Top 10 this year in the pre-season. How anyone can vote for a team that had wins they had is completely unexplainable. 5 of the 8 games they won were Duke, BC, Maryland, Charleston Southern (1AA), and Louisiana-Monroe. And they beat exactly 1 team with a winning record, 7-5 NCState.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom