It's All Up To Benedict | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It's All Up To Benedict

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Of course not, but for someone to approve the contract extension of the most inept coach in college football shows me that the higher ups are not that smart either.
Things were moving in the right direction when the contract extension took place?

2014...2-10
2015...6-7 First Bowl in 5 years
Contract Extension
2016....Fire Diaco

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Of course not, but for someone to approve the contract extension of the most inept coach in college football shows me that the higher ups are not that smart either.

No no - college administrators are the greatest negotiators on the planet. That's why Bob Diaco is trying to get fired to collect his full 5 million dollars.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Good point but Benedict needs to explain why he/Herbst/Manuel bet $5 million on Diaco succeeding this year.
I really wonder if Diaco siad to Benedict "Listen I want to be here long-term, and I did get some interest in the offseason for other jobs in the P5... make me an offer"?

Reaction Score
The stupid on this board is getting painful.
images

Reaction Score
No no - college administrators are the greatest negotiators on the planet. That's why Bob Diaco is trying to get fired to collect his full 5 million dollars.

Here we go again ...

The other thing I will throw on you: This is not just a Diaco/Football issue. We are sucking wind on attendance in Hoop. We have championship programs in multiple sports ... and I think this is ON Benedict now. I do think he had the background and an elite new staff he's pulled in. But ... we are at a crossraods. I agree with Nostical: this has everything to do with how good Benedict is on selling his vision to our top donors or creating new pockets in Fairfield County. It is not about Connecticut residents shoveling their streets ... it might be about buying 5 suits at Ed Mitchell's or something akin to that.

Reaction Score
I think we can put to bed the idea that the extension was Benedict's fault. A story in the Courant clearly stated the extension was all but done when DB arrived. That wasn't his decision.

Nope. He should have given it the once over once he got here and done HIS due dilgence. His name's on the contract too, right?

Reaction Score
Nope. He should have given it the once over once he got here and done HIS due dilgence. His name's on the contract too, right?

I don't think it would be a good career move to veto your boss on the first day of work. He wasn't in a position to know the nuances of Bob Diaco at that point.

Reaction Score
I don't think it would be a good career move to veto your boss on the first day of work. He wasn't in a position to know the nuances of Bob Diaco at that point.

I've never heard this until now. If this is true it significantly increases the chances of Diaco getting canned after this year.

Reaction Score
That the extension was forced on Benedict?

Not sure "forced" is the right word but...

>>"The conversations started on Dec. 3" That's when UConn President Susan Herbst and then-athletic director Warde Manuel broached the topic. At that point, the Huskies were preparing for the program's first bowl game in five years. In the months to follow, Manuel left for Michigan and David Benedict took over as UConn athletic director.

Diaco, Benedict and Herbst signed Diaco's new contract on May 6.

"There were a few things that still needed to be worked through, but most of the major stuff had been agreed to," Benedict said. "I did have, call it six weeks, to get to know Coach Diaco and his staff a little bit. From everything I can evaluate in a short period of time, which is not a lot, I'm very excited about everything I see. I think he's done a great job and I think he's going to do great things at UConn, and I just hope he's going to be with us for a long time."<<

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I don't think it was forced. More of an extension that was orchestrated/initiated by Warde and/or Herbst before he got here. Big mistake.

Reaction Score
Here we go again ...

The other thing I will throw on you: This is not just a Diaco/Football issue. We are sucking wind on attendance in Hoop. We have championship programs in multiple sports ... and I think this is ON Benedict now. I do think he had the background and an elite new staff he's pulled in. But ... we are at a crossraods. I agree with Nostical: this has everything to do with how good Benedict is on selling his vision to our top donors or creating new pockets in Fairfield County. It is not about Connecticut residents shoveling their streets ... it might be about buying 5 suits at Ed Mitchell's or something akin to that.

Sad to say but the attendance is going to fall across the board from football to basketball.
We are going to be a "show me " program.
Only the diehards will attend until every game.

Others will only show when/if a big opponent comes in.
The ACC offers no compelling must see games.

It's very sad what is happening.

Reaction Score

No one can question what a great job Herbst has done at UConn in upgrading the academics and perception of the school but her want to have her hands on every decision caused this situation. It is VERY likely that the Diaco extension was pushed on Benedict by her.

One of the qualities of a strong leader is making proper hires beneath them and then allowing those people to perform.

Going back to the emails we saw when Cuse & Pitt left she made it very clear that she was in control of CR. Granted she had a buffoon in Hathaway running the show but she was always an outsider in the process.

If you watch the press conference from when RU went to the B1G it was said by both Delany & the RU President that Pernetti had remained in constant communication with the B1G and both of them credited him in being the key person making that happen.

At this point that we can only hope that Benedict has been empowered to actually run the AD and make these types of decisions. Or, was someone who had never been an actual athletic director hired for the very reason that it allows her to maintain control?

Reaction Score
Not sure "forced" is the right word but...

>>"The conversations started on Dec. 3" That's when UConn President Susan Herbst and then-athletic director Warde Manuel broached the topic. At that point, the Huskies were preparing for the program's first bowl game in five years. In the months to follow, Manuel left for Michigan and David Benedict took over as UConn athletic director.

Diaco, Benedict and Herbst signed Diaco's new contract on May 6.

"There were a few things that still needed to be worked through, but most of the major stuff had been agreed to," Benedict said. "I did have, call it six weeks, to get to know Coach Diaco and his staff a little bit. From everything I can evaluate in a short period of time, which is not a lot, I'm very excited about everything I see. I think he's done a great job and I think he's going to do great things at UConn, and I just hope he's going to be with us for a long time."<<

Ok so Benedict owns that extension.

Reaction Score
I don't think it was forced. More of an extension that was orchestrated/initiated by Warde and/or Herbst before he got here. Big mistake.

It wasn't forced. Benedict owns the extension. Doubtful that he'll get sign off to fire him anyway. Program is on life support.

Reaction Score
Ok so Benedict owns that extension.

He could still have been told by SH "I got this - it's a done deal". Not sure anything he saw in 6 weeks would be out of the off-season norm. His next move is what will be telling. Not writing DB off yet.

Reaction Score
He could still have been told by SH "I got this - it's a done deal". His next move is what will be telling. Not writing DB off yet.

If he's able to navigate those political waters and get sign off from Herbst to can red pants I will feel much more confident in Benedict to lead.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
With a 800K buyout, there is no way Diaco is our 2017 head coach. With a $5M buyout, it muddies up the waters for sure. My hope is that DB will address the program in other ways, such as green lighting a significant bump to our assistant coaches pool. Let's bring in an OC who has, I don't know, actually called an offensive gameplan before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom