It's All Up To Benedict | The Boneyard

It's All Up To Benedict

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With the State of Conn and its political class in no position to be fiscally generous to athletics at UConn our only hope (sorry to use hyperbole) is that David Benedict has both the vision and the administrative smarts to make the right assessments and recommendations to correct what ails us. I believe he has the full support of SH and the necessary courage to present bold recommendations.What he must have is the ability to credibly sell his vision to the folks with large checkbooks. Credibility counts. Hathaway had none. Warde was plucked from U Buffalo mainly for the APR issue. Benedict has an aura of gravitas and an SEC pedigree. He will be listened to. It's really in his hands. If he wants to remove Diaco he'll find a way out. We're at a critical point. There are no easy solutions to what ails us and the stark reality is we have little choice now but to put our trust in Benedict. Keep him in your prayers--!

Sent from my iPhone

Reaction Score
With the State of Conn and its political class in no position to be fiscally generous to athletics at UConn our only hope (sorry to use hyperbole) is that David Benedict has both the vision and the administrative smarts to make the right assessments and recommendations to correct what ails us. I believe he has the full support of SH and the necessary courage to present bold recommendations.What he must have is the ability to credibly sell his vision to the folks with large checkbooks. Credibility counts. Hathaway had none. Warde was plucked from U Buffalo mainly for the APR issue. Benedict has an aura of gravitas and an SEC pedigree. He will be listened to. It's really in his hands. If he wants to remove Diaco he'll find a way out. We're at a critical point. There are no easy solutions to what ails us and the stark reality is we have little choice now but to put our trust in Benedict. Keep him in your prayers--!

Sent from my iPhone

I'd be more confident in Benedict if he hadn't agreed to that ridiculous contract extension. I know the counter-argument is that Warde/Herbst set the table for the deal, but if I'm a new AD I'm not betting my future on that contract.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I trust Benedict anymore than I trust Diaco.
Feel the same way until Benedict comes out and explains the whys to the extension

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Based on the breathtaking plunge off a cliff this program has suffered since the Bearcat game, I tend to agree. We don't know what goes on behind closed doors, but any sane person listening to the sunshine Fiasco keeps pumping up everybody's ass each week, without taking any concrete steps to reign this guy in way before the ECU debacle, would be criminal negligence on Benedict's part.

Reaction Score
The state of Ct is broke and no way can they afford a buyout unless it comes from the snow budget. How many of you will shovel your street to save money for a buyout??

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Cut men's and women's tennis, men's and women's cross country, and men's golf to get down to NCAA minimum and save some dough. We shouldn't cut off our face (football) to save our nose.

Reaction Score
The state of Ct is broke and no way can they afford a buyout unless it comes from the snow budget. How many of you will shovel your street to save money for a buyout??
You think coaches' buy-outs come from the State budget?
Yes. Show me the boosters willing to pay up 5 mil. This isnt alabama or fl state

No. It doesn't come out of the State budget. It comes completely out of the UConn Athletic Department budget absent a booster(s) willing to cover/reimburse the cost through donation. All Coaches' contracts are with the University not the State.

Reaction Score
No. It doesn't come out of the State budget. It comes completely out of the UConn Athletic Department budget absent a booster(s) willing to cover/reimburse the cost through donation. All Coaches' contracts are with the University not the State.
Then why was Jim Calhoun called the highest paid state employee for years? Lol

Reaction Score
Source is all tax dollars. How they allocate can determine coaching priority. Everyone shovel we move more money to the university.

Reaction Score

Source is all tax dollars. How they allocate can determine coaching priority. Everyone shovel we move more money to the university.

You're wrong... UConn coaches' salaries and contract costs are covered almost entirely by other revenue sources. For example within:Geno Auriemma Signs Five-Year Contract Extension

>>NOTE: No General Fund (state tax dollars) or tuition monies are used to provide any of the resources for this contract. The Division of Athletics at the University of Connecticut is an Auxiliary Service Fund entity and the sources of revenue include: gate receipts, private fundraising, corporate partnerships, television/radio rights, BIG EAST Conference revenues and NCAA revenues.<<

Reaction Score
Okay, you got me. I made it up.
Wouldn't be the first time. Lol. Actually I think you are right, the Hartford statehouse and the present Governors office wouldn't give a plugged nickel for UCONN athletics much less Bob Diaco's wardrobe, they're much too busy taxing any money making venture, be it a private corporation or any athletic conference money UCONN might get under their jurisdiction, but your pompous attitude toward what Srqhusky was trying to say about this "not being Alabama or Florida" is narrow minded. Yeah, UCONN has the Richard Simmons of college coaches, and a crappy team, but that's far from the only reason why a decent coach won't come here or will a P5 invite.

Reaction Score
All that really matters is the higher ups were dumb enough to extend this moron with a career record of CRAP. Herbst and Benedict should be fired for pure stupidity.

Reaction Score

Good point but Benedict needs to explain why he/Herbst/Manuel bet $5 million on Diaco succeeding this year.

Reaction Score
I'd be more confident in Benedict if he hadn't agreed to that ridiculous contract extension. I know the counter-argument is that Warde/Herbst set the table for the deal, but if I'm a new AD I'm not betting my future on that contract.
The only thing we can hope for is that the contract was started and all but completed on Warde's watch....maybe by time Benedict showed up a couple i's needed to be dotted but it was almost a done deal that was hard to put a stop too. I am guessing and hoping that the extension did not come from him alone...if so...that was crazy since Diaco was coming off a 6-7 season after his first where Uconn was quite possibly the worst team in Division 1.

He has stayed noticeably quiet on his twitter feed regarding football after being a cheerleader for the first month.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
All that really matters is the higher ups were dumb enough to extend this moron with a career record of CRAP. Herbst and Benedict should be fired for pure stupidity.

Do you think this is what gets presidents fired?

Reaction Score
Do you think this is what gets presidents fired?
Of course not, but for someone to approve the contract extension of the most inept coach in college football shows me that the higher ups are not that smart either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom