It's a Very Very Long Shot ... | The Boneyard

It's a Very Very Long Shot ...

Reaction Score
... but possible -- if this post does not jinx things immediately. There was a year a decade and a half or so ago when both the UConn men and women won their respective NCAA BB titles.

If that happened this year and UConn FB won a bowl game this season, might that tempt a conference to get really interested in UConn as a realignment target? Yes, knock on wood. But a case could be made .... Just sayin'

Reaction Score
Not sure BC would approve but due to travel costs the reason given to leave the AAC, the ACC makes a ton of sense. What a great backyard rivalry we could have. Thanksgiving weekend for The New England Cup. (Possibly only every other year).
With 15 teams we could even out the number allowing for two divisions alternating each season and playing eight in conference and four ooc games.
I don't think national champions and a bowl game should be required, it just makes sense. Our basketball is a brand name along with other sports like baseball and field hockey with football coming back into the picture. The Hockey would have to be exempt and play some ACC teams ooc.

Reaction Score
... but possible -- if this post does not jinx things immediately. There was a year a decade and a half or so ago when both the UConn men and women won their respective NCAA BB titles.

If that happened this year and UConn FB won a bowl game this season, might that tempt a conference to get really interested in UConn as a realignment target? Yes, knock on wood. But a case could be made .... Just sayin'

No. Because conference realignment has very little to do with athletic performance and almost everything to do with the economics of the markets an athletic department brings to the table.

Think about Rutgers for just a moment and it will become very clear…..

Reaction Score
No. Because conference realignment has very little to do with athletic performance and almost everything to do with the economics of the markets an athletic department brings to the table.

UConn has a larger student enrollment and fan base than Wake Forest. If economics was the sole reason then we’d be in the ACC instead of them. If we keep improving in football and start winning championships in basketball again it would be foolish for the ACC to not consider us.

Reaction Score

Oh, I have thought about Rutgers a lot. UConn would cut a wider swath than they do in the B1G. But I think the ACC would come calling first.

Reaction Score
UConn has a larger student enrollment and fan base than Wake Forest. If economics was the sole reason then we’d be in the ACC instead of them. If we keep improving in football and start winning championships in basketball again it would be foolish for the ACC to not consider us.

Wake isn’t part of of the decision for the ACC. They’re already in the conference.

Reaction Score
Not sure BC would approve but due to travel costs the reason given to leave the AAC, the ACC makes a ton of sense. What a great backyard rivalry we could have. Thanksgiving weekend for The New England Cup. (Possibly only every other year).
With 15 teams we could even out the number allowing for two divisions alternating each season and playing eight in conference and four ooc games.
I don't think national champions and a bowl game should be required, it just makes sense. Our basketball is a brand name along with other sports like baseball and field hockey with football coming back into the picture. The Hockey would have to be exempt and play some ACC teams ooc.
Travel costs only mattered because the AAC wasn't paying squat to it's members. Any other power conference will pay for the travel 10x over.

Reaction Score
Actually things have changed on the BC side over the years. They want us now more than anything for all sports, or I should say need us. Football, baseball, hockey, and of course both basketball programs. If UConn joins the ACC, BC’s recruiting for men’s and women’s basketball would definitely see more interest from recruits. The question is how many times a season would we play them?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Really? REALLY?!!!!!!!
Star Wars Doom GIF

Reaction Score
Who knows ? There may be a turning point occurring.

New England has not had a glowing reputation for watching college football...has been seen as basketball oriented.

Now...if basketball is being upvalued by the media (as Big 12 Commissioner said it should be), than UConn looks very different to a conference.

Reaction Score
ACC isn't very attractive anymore. Both FSU and Clemson will leave the minute they can get their get out of the jail free card.

B1G basketball sucks, and they definitely could use a program like UConn. I like the new B12 commissioner since he is open-minded and forward thinking unlike the previous commissioner.

ACC might try for a last ditch to merge with the PAC-10, but both conferences are run by old dinosaurs lacking real visions so both conferences are just waiting to die.

Reaction Score
ACC isn't very attractive anymore. Both FSU and Clemson will leave the minute they can get their get out of the jail free card.

B1G basketball sucks, and they definitely could use a program like UConn. I like the new B12 commissioner since he is open-minded and forward thinking unlike the previous commissioner.

ACC might try for a last ditch to merge with the PAC-10, but both conferences are run by old dinosaurs lacking real visions so both conferences are just waiting to die.
I think the B1G is just hyperfocused on football and that will probably not change any time soon, but what's crazy for me is that basketball is an after thought. Is basketball really that much less popular compared to football? There's nothing like March Madness, not even close, in the CFB world, so I'm surprised at the way it's considered a "lesser" sport.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

The paycheck that comes from the ACC sure makes it attractive to me. I'm sure our AD department would tell you the same thing, as would our future football home game ticket sales. Just look at our home slate for the next few seasons and tell me you wouldn't want them to be replaced with ACC teams....

Reaction Score
The paycheck that comes from the ACC sure makes it attractive to me. I'm sure our AD department would tell you the same thing, as would our future football home game ticket sales. Just look at our home slate for the next few seasons and tell me you wouldn't want them to be replaced with ACC teams....
No doubt. We’d take it, but I’m not sure it is a long term solution.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I think the B1G is just hyperfocused on football and that will probably not change any time soon, but what's crazy for me is that basketball is an after thought. Is basketball really that much less popular compared to football? There's nothing like March Madness, not even close, in the CFB world, so I'm surprised at the way it's considered a "lesser" sport.

Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania are all very much football states and it’s not even close. High school football is still a thing on Friday nights and many residents still go even after their kids have graduated. Michigan had a deep football tradition dating back to the 1880’s and OSU has been very good since before the 1950’s. PSU has a deep tradition as well.

The 2 schools known more for basketball both have extenuating circumstances right now. MSU follows basketball very well, but football will always be 1st when they are doing well. Indiana has not been great in a long time.

The other schools will follow their teams when they are good, it’s almost a placeholder until football season starts.

In all honesty, I haven’t watched a UM (or even a college) basketball game all season m. I will watch when UM is playing well but they were so bad in early season I never bothered. This is partly why I like UConn in the Big10. We need some basketball hate and nothing brings it like great teams. UM has been pretty good the past decade but outside of MSU there isn’t anybody hate worthy.

I would love it basketball wise if we went to 24 that UConn and Kansas were the last 2.

Reaction Score
Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania are all very much football states and it’s not even close. High school football is still a thing on Friday nights and many residents still go even after their kids have graduated. Michigan had a deep football tradition dating back to the 1880’s and OSU has been very good since before the 1950’s. PSU has a deep tradition as well.

The 2 schools known more for basketball both have extenuating circumstances right now. MSU follows basketball very well, but football will always be 1st when they are doing well. Indiana has not been great in a long time.

The other schools will follow their teams when they are good, it’s almost a placeholder until football season starts.

In all honesty, I haven’t watched a UM (or even a college) basketball game all season m. I will watch when UM is playing well but they were so bad in early season I never bothered. This is partly why I like UConn in the Big10. We need some basketball hate and nothing brings it like great teams. UM has been pretty good the past decade but outside of MSU there isn’t anybody hate worthy.

I would love it basketball wise if we went to 24 that UConn and Kansas were the last 2.
Do you guys need hockey teams? We've got a couple pretty good hockey programs here too plus a new arena. We also have a good baseball and field hockey program.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Do you guys need hockey teams? We've got a couple pretty good hockey programs here too plus a new arena. We also have a good baseball and field hockey program.
The way this men’s frozen 4 is going, I’m not sure you want to join. The 4 Big10 teams won their games in the 1st round by a combined score of 36-4. The big test will in the next round when OSU plays #2 Quinnipiac.

Would love to have you, though.

Reaction Score
A couple things. I don't think it's fair to say The B1G is hyper focused on football. During college football season? Sure. Football is the most popular sport in America by a wide margin, and that holds true within the conference footprint. That being said it's not discussed 24/7/365 on BTN.

They spend plenty of time on M/W Basketball. They also dedicate plenty of airtime to non-revenue sports like hockey, wrestling, M/W lacrosse, Women's volleyball, M/W soccer, baseball, and softball.

Your screen name is hoopsfan 22 so it is safe to say that basketball is your favorite sport or at least close to the top. Obviously, you view things differently. March Madness is clearly a very popular television event in this country. With this in mind, do you believe that is because random non CBB Fans suddenly become enthralled with watching who becomes National Champion, or is it because they filled out a bracket at work and want to win 100 bucks? The tournament is a moneymaker. The regular season is basically meaningless. That is why basketball is worth what it is, and football is worth something vastly different.

Reaction Score
A couple things. I don't think it's fair to say The B1G is hyper focused on football. During college football season? Sure. Football is the most popular sport in America by a wide margin, and that holds true within the conference footprint. That being said it's not discussed 24/7/365 on BTN.

They spend plenty of time on M/W Basketball. They also dedicate plenty of airtime to non-revenue sports like hockey, wrestling, M/W lacrosse, Women's volleyball, M/W soccer, baseball, and softball.

Your screen name is hoopsfan 22 so it is safe to say that basketball is your favorite sport or at least close to the top. Obviously, you view things differently. March Madness is clearly a very popular television event in this country. With this in mind, do you believe that is because random non CBB Fans suddenly become enthralled with watching who becomes National Champion, or is it because they filled out a bracket at work and want to win 100 bucks? The tournament is a moneymaker. The regular season is basically meaningless. That is why basketball is worth what it is, and football is worth something vastly different.
One small point. Hockey is regarded as a revenue sport although not all schools make money at it. Same as football actually. Only the very few in football make money.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom