It's a process & athleticism | The Boneyard

It's a process & athleticism

Reaction Score
This game is more evidence of how we aren't all that close to being there. Our starting center simply can't play against any legit teams, he is just at such a huge athletic and strength disadvantage and it leads to getting pushed around and stupid fouls every time. Nice kid but he's supposed to be a backup. Our starting power forward is a little better but basically in the same boat athetically and strength wise, he can become a knockdown three point shooter though. Our starting 3 man is 6'2 and an average athlete, should be a 7th or 8th man on any really good team. Our starting guards have all the talent but one of them is still shaking off the rust after being away from the game for so long and our suppposed star isn't a star and is seriously lacking in the leadership department.

That's the starters, most of the bench doesn't even belong on past Husky teams. Wilson is probably our best athlete but isn't close to being ready. We just aren't at the level to compete athletically with teams like FSU. If we had a transcendent player and were a high bb IQ team it could be different but we don't have that either. It is what it is.

Our recruits are all better athletes and it's why it's so important we finish the class off.

Reaction Score
All the time less talented, less athletic teams find ways to beat superior teams. Just today look at Seton Hall over Kentucky. I Like Hurley but he has to find a way to get these kids to play smarter because talent alone won't get it done vs the better teams on the schedule.. Shall found a way and won, played a smart game despite Kentucky being far superior

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, i was dead wrong about him. He needs to be out there.

Reaction Score
We lost to Iowa, Az, and FS and only one of those was somewhat close.

Reaction Score
Zona was very close, UConn had that and they lost it more than zona won it. Disagree about only one being close... UConn has the tools to keep the fsu game a little closer. They did not play great and yet A few less turn overs, an extra made free throw and who knows...getting to within 74-69 with the ball and a missed layup to get it down to 3 is not NOT close....miles ahead of last year where UConn gets muscled out of the gym early and often.

Reaction Score
I wasn’t expecting big things this year so I’m going to look at the positives when I can
We hung in there with potentially a top 10 team that is very deep.
We play much harder than last year where we probably would have lost this game by 20-25.
We were outrebounding them for much of the game and dove after a ton of loose balls.
We still have stupid turnovers yes but as the OP said it’s all about the process right now.
Good things will come.

Reaction Score
If we played like we did today we would have beat Arizona. I am definitely seeing improvement. FSU is better than Iowa and we played them a lot tougher. As long as we aren’t regressing and we continue to improve I am happy. Something we didn’t see under Ollie

Reaction Score
BTW, what happened to Wilson? Thought he was gonna be a big uptick of talent on the UConn team.

He doesn't seem to know where to be on the court, his footwork and positioning needs a lot of work, he gets frustrated easily and fouls when things aren't going his way. Also looked way off on his foul shots.

His athleticism pops and his jumper form is solid. There's a lot to work with. I think he'll be a contributor next year, and a stud as a RS senior and 5th year.

Reaction Score
These guys who perform well against bad opponents but can't do it against good ones are our legacy from the previous coaches. Nice guys. As seniors they'll contribute in smaller minutes and we'll remember them fondly.

But right now it is frustrating, and games like this should be in our memory when we see these guys go out and stomp some low-majors.

pj

Reaction Score
This game is more evidence of how we aren't all that close to being there. Our starting center simply can't play against any legit teams, he is just at such a huge athletic and strength disadvantage and it leads to getting pushed around and stupid fouls every time. Nice kid but he's supposed to be a backup. Our starting power forward is a little better but basically in the same boat athetically and strength wise, he can become a knockdown three point shooter though. Our starting 3 man is 6'2 and an average athlete, should be a 7th or 8th man on any really good team. Our starting guards have all the talent but one of them is still shaking off the rust after being away from the game for so long and our suppposed star isn't a star and is seriously lacking in the leadership department.

That's the starters, most of the bench doesn't even belong on past Husky teams. Wilson is probably our best athlete but isn't close to being ready. We just aren't at the level to compete athletically with teams like FSU. If we had a transcendent player and were a high bb IQ team it could be different but we don't have that either. It is what it is.

Our recruits are all better athletes and it's why it's so important we finish the class off.

Don't understand why you were so big on Hurley but so down on the team. A good coach goes a long way. That's why Butler got to the championship game in 2011 with players who in the 7 years since have played 24 total games in the NBA. I guarantee that this UConn team has more NBA prospects / players than 2011 Butler.

Give them time, they'll continue to get better.

Reaction Score
All the time less talented, less athletic teams find ways to beat superior teams. Just today look at Seton Hall over Kentucky. I Like Hurley but he has to find a way to get these kids to play smarter because talent alone won't get it done vs the better teams on the schedule.. Shall found a way and won, played a smart game despite Kentucky being far superior

Seton Hall also had a guard who took over and lead them to the win. Adams should be doing the same but just doesn't seem to have the will or drive to be as great as he was supposed to be coming in as a 5 star.

Reaction Score
Zona was very close, UConn had that and they lost it more than zona won it. Disagree about only one being close... UConn has the tools to keep the fsu game a little closer. They did not play great and yet A few less turn overs, an extra made free throw and who knows...getting to within 74-69 with the ball and a missed layup to get it down to 3 is not NOT close....miles ahead of last year where UConn gets muscled out of the gym early and often.

Right. And, as my Dad used to say, "if the dog didn't stop to s__t it would have caught the rabbit."

Reaction Score
I don't think we're going to get much better. Certain guys will, but we just don't have enough talent to significantly move the needle.

It's a great group of kids with good energy that lacks the discipline and athleticism to compete with high level teams. It'll be fun to see how far they can go - but if we do get into the tournament, we won't be around long.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

Kentucky is the least-experienced roster in the country. That's it.

Reaction Score
Did you watch the Seton Hall game? Myles Powell completely took the game over and made every single big shot, Jalen can't do that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom