It's a matter of perspective | The Boneyard

It's a matter of perspective

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
These are articles I found online this morning (links aren't live)-

What UConn fans see:
UConn Women's Basketball Grinds Out Win Over Houston, 91-42, Local Source-The UConn Blog (blog)-14 hours ago

What everyone else sees:
UConn wins 95th straight with 91-42 romp over Houston, In-Depth-STLtoday.com-17 hours ago

It's not the first time I've noticed this disparity and it's not just UConn fans. Years ago, UConn played Florida on the road without Diana, who had a sore back. The Huskies won by 19. The Florida reporters were stunned to hear the Connecticut reporters ask Geno what was wrong with the team. LOL.

Reaction Score
When speaking of journalist---all are journalist today, none are REPORTERS, Journalists inter personalize what they see and hype up what they have seen. If the story isn't salacious it is not NEWS ? Reporters --report what has been seen--only the fact mam!

Reaction Score
And reporters don't write headlines, editors do it. I remember the Coutant sports editor would headline a Yankee 8-1 win with "Yankees edge Baltimore" under the fold while the headline was a Boston 3-2 win would be "Bosox pummel Kansas City".

Last edited:

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
It's exactly what we do here. The game threads in these types of games are always "they look a step slow" "they look out of sorts" "shots just aren't falling" etc etc etc. When you see games like DePaul and then a less-pretty win against UH, it's only human nature.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
And reporters don't write headlines, editors do it. I remember the Coutant sports editor would headline a Yankee 8-1 win with "Yankees edge Baltimore" under the fold while the headline was a Boston 3-2 win would be "Bosox pummel Kansas City".
Blog writers write their own headline, and he's a UConn fan.

Reaction Score
Remember Johnny Most of the Celtics?woody "saulsberry hits a 35 footer.COUSY DRIBBLES UPCOURT AND PASSES THE BALL TO SHARMAN WHO MISSES THE LAYUP.rebounded by philadelphia who leads by a scant 16 points.

Reaction Score
When speaking of journalist---all are journalist today, none are REPORTERS, Journalists inter personalize what they see and hype up what they have seen. If the story isn't salacious it is not NEWS ? Reporters --report what has been seen--only the fact mam!
Sorry, but that is not and has never been the definition of the word, "journalist." A reporter is a journalist. A columnist (who may write his or her opinion) is also a journalist. But it's not a matter of -- reporters report facts and journalist give opinions. It is hoped that reporters report facts, and reporters are journalists, but columnists or opinion writers write opinions and they also are journalists.

Even with the incredibly diminished state of journalism today, there are real, live reporters out there, doing the real work of reporting. You probably don't notice them that much, because the work they do generally produces news headlines, not sensationalism.

By way of background, I was a reporter (and journalist) for 11 years and held a non-reporting position in journalism for another 7 or so. I also taught a journalism class for five or so years, as it happens, at UConn. The state of the industry today turns my stomach, not just because there are so few thriving news businesses today, but because much of the news-consuming public has been duped into believing that news is supposed to equal facts plus spin.

Last edited by a moderator:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Most UConn fans know how the team is capable of playing. One poster here described it as akin to watching the Bolshoi. So when fans see the team looking more like Benes than Barishnikov they are likely to comment.

I'll defer to Auriemma. It was obvious that he wasn't too excited about their performance.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but that is not and has never been the definition of the word, "journalist." A reporter is a journalist. A columnist (who may write his or her opinion) is also a journalist. But it's not a matter of -- reporters report facts and journalist give opinions. It is hoped that reporters report facts, and reporters are journalists, but columnists or opinion writers write opinions and they also are journalists.

Even with the incredibly diminished state of journalism today, there are real, live reporters out there, doing the real work of reporting. You probably don't notice them that much, because the work they do generally produces news headlines, not sensationalism.

By way of background, I was a reporter (and journalist) for 11 years and held a non-reporting position in journalism for another 7 or so. I also taught a journalism class for five or so years, as it happens, at UConn. The state of the industry today turns my stomach, not just because there are so few thriving news businesses today, but because much of the news-consuming public has been duped into believing that news is supposed to equal facts plus spin.

We agree in our stomach 's turn. My opinion and belief is as I stated it --in terms of how reporting is done--Since, again opinion, Walter Cronkite began putting himself into the Vietnam news, the industry got more and more--away from just giving the fact--and allowing us to make up our own minds, to giving the sad looks and sad expressions with equal volumen or less to emote--.
I can tell you from the graduates of local Universites that run through our TV station--these are journalist from a jounalism class (es) graduates--apparent 40 percent of the school is acting classes.
The written word is a bit better but still full of personal opinions. Do they have Report er courses? Naa
there is no money in that.
As to the opinion of definition (I never used the word) of each--i pretty much stick by what that industry has heaped upon us as NEWS you pick the media--it does not matter --It would appear that both TV and paper Reporting is going the way of the horse buggy. The internet with all it's falsehoods apparently are the modern way to view what's happening--with much worse personalizations.
Agree to dis agree!! I am neither a journalist nor a report--I'm an observer.
How i long for the old yellow rags, that you knew, and proper reporting.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
We agree in our stomach 's turn. My opinion and belief is as I stated it --in terms of how reporting is done--Since, again opinion, Walter Cronkite began putting himself into the Vietnam news, the industry got more and more--away from just giving the fact--and allowing us to make up our own minds, to giving the sad looks and sad expressions with equal volumen or less to emote--.
I can tell you from the graduates of local Universites that run through our TV station--these are journalist from a jounalism class (es) graduates--apparent 40 percent of the school is acting classes.
The written word is a bit better but still full of personal opinions. Do they have Report er courses? Naa
there is no money in that.
As to the opinion of definition (I never used the word) of each--i pretty much stick by what that industry has heaped upon us as NEWS you pick the media--it does not matter --It would appear that both TV and paper Reporting is going the way of the horse buggy. The internet with all it's falsehoods apparently are the modern way to view what's happening--with much worse personalizations.
Agree to dis agree!! I am neither a journalist nor a report--I'm an observer.
How i long for the old yellow rags, that you knew, and proper reporting.
I do genealogy and read a ton of newspapers from the 1800's and early 1900's. Nothing has changed except for the fact that the lurid stories now have instant access to a worldwide platform. Remember the phrase "yellow journalism"? That was coined in the 1800's.

Back in the repressed 60's, people wanted a guy in a suit, sitting in front of a camera, reading the news with little intonation. The 70's brought the war into peoples' living rooms and the audience was fascinated, in a "can't look away from the car wreck" way. People watched those stories, and more like them, and then wanted more coverage like that. Now, when everything is Breaking News! on the national news, it's because people have shown they want that. They want to be outraged, horrified, and entertained. If the majority of the viewing audience wanted to see the guy in the suit, that's what we'd be seeing on the TV.

Online, search engines are driven by metrics so that what interests people is what they'll see in their news feed. So, if you click on news articles that have to do with, say, the death of a celebrity, you'll start seeing more articles like that in your news feed. If you click on articles that lean one way or the other, politically, you'll start seeing like articles. It's not so different from the Penny Press, which tailored the news to its audience. You are driving your news feed and what you see on TV, for the most part.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
I do genealogy and read a ton of newspapers from the 1800's and early 1900's. Nothing has changed except for the fact that the lurid stories now have instant access to a worldwide platform. Remember the phrase "yellow journalism"? That was coined in the 1800's.
. . .
Online, search engines are driven by metrics so that what interests people is what they'll see in their news feed. So, if you click on news articles that have to do with, say, the death of a celebrity, you'll start seeing more articles like that in your news feed. If you click on articles that lean one way or the other, politically, you'll start seeing like articles. It's not so different from the Penny Press, which tailored the news to its audience. You are driving your news feed and what you see on TV, for the most part.

To paraphrase, just as a nation gets the government it deserves (through its voting), so it gets the news is deserves (through its reading and watching).
On a brighter size, we don't really deserve Geno and his unique creation, but it's what we've been given to enjoy.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
We must agree, no? that every person has a unique personality. That translates to everyone has a unique perspective, as it's filtered through that personality. That's unchangeable.

Reaction Score
To paraphrase, just as a nation gets the government it deserves e(through its voting), so it gets the news is deserves (through its reading and watching).
On a brighter size, we don't really deserve Geno and his unique creation, but it's what we've been given to enjoy.
W

People don't usually get the government they deserve---Saddam's government, the current Iran, many in Africa,
don't deserve what they are getting--at one time I wondered why they didn't rise up and take control of their own country--but to many life was far more better than death--people accept what they get --between than an the alternatives.
Whether we deserve Geno or not---we are darn lucky to have him and his team..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom