It Will Really Pi Me Off if | The Boneyard

It Will Really Pi Me Off if

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
the ACC made their move on Pitt and 'Cuse with full knowledge that they will be losing FSU and Va. Tech to the SEC. The old ACC without FSU and Va Tech is a joke with 5 teams that would be in bottom half of the BE (Wake, Duke, BC, Virginia, and NC State), 2 teams awaiting NCAA penalties (Miami and UNC), leaving Clemson, Maryland, and Ga Tech at the top of the conference. Too be honest, Pitt and 'Cuse don't add a lot to the football power of the conference, but I doubt there would be as much interest if they knew the ACC was losing it's top football schools.

Reaction Score
You really think you know there is a good possibility that FSU, Clemson and/or VT could be going to the SEC and that neither Pitt nor syracuse realized that? Seriously?

Reaction Score
Pitt and Cuse admins read forums too. They won't be surprised.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Had a busy weekend and haven't been able to read much on all this shell game stuff. But I am amazed at little control the NCAA has in this. It seems conferences and schools are the major players in this. The NCAA just handles the cash and investigates compliance when it has the time.

Reaction Score
Now that you mention it. If FSU and VA Tech go to the SEC what makes the nACC that much better than the BE/Big 12 leftovers?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
the ACC made their move on Pitt and 'Cuse with full knowledge that they will be losing FSU and Va. Tech to the SEC. The old ACC without FSU and Va Tech is a joke with 5 teams that would be in bottom half of the BE (Wake, Duke, BC, Virginia, and NC State), 2 teams awaiting NCAA penalties (Miami and UNC), leaving Clemson, Maryland, and Ga Tech at the top of the conference. Too be honest, Pitt and 'Cuse don't add a lot to the football power of the conference, but I doubt there would be as much interest if they knew the ACC was losing it's top football schools.
I was thinking along the same lines. What if the ACC loses FSU and VT? The football side of the conference even with RU, UConn, Pitt and SU would be very weak. What advantage does this new conference have over a hybridized BE - B12? Any of the BE schools jumping to the ACC better hope FSU, Clemson and/or VT remain in the ACC otherwise, from a football perspective the move is lateral at best. And my bet is FSU is strongly considering either going to the SEC or preventing the ACC from adding schools which do not upgrade the conference in football such as UConn.

In a way the ACC is split with football school and basketball school interests. Not much different than the BE.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Still, for Pitt/Cuse (and UConn/RU if they go) it will be a more stable situation. Who knows - if FSU and VT leave (if you believe the media reports to this point, FSU is thinking about it, VT is less likely) maybe Louisville becomes another target.

Reaction Score
That was my point all along, but it is contingent on the BE keeping WVU and TCU. What is the tangible football difference other than media perception between:

1) UConn, Rutgers, WVU, USF, Cincy, L'ville, TCU, Baylor, Kansas, K. State, Iowa St., (add Houston, UCF or anybody else if you want). and

2) BC, Duke, Virginia, Wake, NC State, Syracuse, Pitt, UNC, Clemson, Miami, Maryland, Ga. Tech

Right now the new BE would have 4 teams in the top 24 (WVU, USF, TCU, and Baylor), while the new ACC would have 2 (Clemson and Ga. Tech)

Not saying that UConn shouldn't go if offered by the ACC. There is something to be said for stability and regional rivals, but what the BE really needs to be hoping for at this point is for the 4 teams from the B-12 to go to the PAC. That would at least guarantee the remaining BE teams an AQ league. The worst thing that could happen right now is for the PAC, B1G, SEC and ACC to put everything on hold and keep the B-12 and BE in total limbo.

Reaction Score

The ACC just voted to raise their exit fee to $20 million. No one is leaving the ACC. Especially when you consider their TV deal is going to be redone once they get to 16 teams. Probably somewhere in the $16 to $18 million range.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
That was my point all along, but it is contingent on the BE keeping WVU and TCU. What is the tangible football difference other than media perception between:

1) UConn, Rutgers, WVU, USF, Cincy, L'ville, TCU, Baylor, Kansas, K. State, Iowa St., (add Houston, UCF or anybody else if you want). and

2) BC, Duke, Virginia, Wake, NC State, Syracuse, Pitt, UNC, Clemson, Miami, Maryland, Ga. Tech

Right now the new BE would have 4 teams in the top 24 (WVU, USF, TCU, and Baylor), while the new ACC would have 2 (Clemson and Ga. Tech)

Not saying that UConn shouldn't go if offered by the ACC. There is something to be said for stability and regional rivals, but what the BE really needs to be hoping for at this point is for the 4 teams from the B-12 to go to the PAC. That would at least guarantee the remaining BE teams an AQ league. The worst thing that could happen right now is for the PAC, B1G, SEC and ACC to put everything on hold and keep the B-12 and BE in total limbo.

There is no such thing as stability. Anyone on the east coast learned this when the ground shook under them a month ago.

If WVU goes to the SEC, your number 1 dramatically weakens. But if not, than one is significantly better than 2 imo for football. And once again the BE teams that bolted would end up not getting an advantage and the ACC would be weakened, this time in football as opposed to basketball.

The big problem is the geography is lousy for all sports. And that number 1 is a lousy bb conference.

Reaction Score

Riiight because that would be a stable conference. Not like RU/Kansas and Iowa State wouldn't still be banging on the door of the Big 10, Louisville and WVU on the SEC's door and UConn on the ACC's door. This is about WAAAAAAY more than football rankings in 2011. It's about STABILITY and long term growth.

Even if it was about football rankings do you believe BAYLOR who has sucked FOREVER is all of a sudden going to become a football power because they are ranked this season? Once Griffin graduates that program goes back to sucking.

Reaction Score
You really think you know there is a good possibility that FSU, Clemson and/or VT could be going to the SEC and that neither Pitt nor syracuse realized that? Seriously?

I think there is a possibility. FSU is quoted as organizing a committee to see what's going on with ACC football.

Reaction Score
The ACC just voted to raise their exit fee to $20 million. No one is leaving the ACC. Especially when you consider their TV deal is going to be redone once they get to 16 teams. Probably somewhere in the $16 to $18 million range.

I would not be so sure about this. FSU is demanding something like Texas or ND.

Reaction Score
seriously?

No kidding. Besides, in addition to football, the ACC would be a great all sports conference. The Geographically Mismatched Conference not so much. Again not knocking those mid western programs knocking the fact that college football can't be smart enough to organzed geographically prudent conferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom