OT: - It was a good run… | The Boneyard

OT: It was a good run…

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Unfortunately I’ll be one of those contributing to the noise pollution. This winter’s wood won’t split itself. I think we have two winters’ worth of wood left from trees that have died in our yard. I’m not sure if my arthritic hands will even last that long.

Reaction Score
Speaking of power equipment, here's my favorite lawnmower.

Saint Arnold Lawnmower Beer.jpg

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Unfortunately I’ll be one of those contributing to the noise pollution. This winter’s wood won’t split itself. I think we have two winters’ worth of wood left from trees that have died in our yard. I’m not sure if my arthritic hands will even last that long.
LOL, oh I get it and I’m about to trim some bushes myself, but still, it was very pleasant for a decent amount of time this morning.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Maybe I’m just a little unusual. But I’ve always liked sitting out on the porch with a cup of coffee or cold drink in hand, listening to all my neighbors cutting their lawns on the weekend. Now that I’m retired, Tuesdays are my day for yard work.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Maybe I’m just a little unusual. But I’ve always liked sitting out on the porch with a cup of coffee or cold drink in hand, listening to all my neighbors cutting their lawns on the weekend. Now that I’m retired, Tuesdays are my day for yard work.
Now that I am retired, I hardly ever find time for any work, especially yard work. I enjoy allowing my neighbors to relish their lovely, manicured lawns all the while looking down their noses at my "natural look" property.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'trees that have died in our yard.'
ash? the ash really, really amped up their departure this year. as far as ur paws, slap an aspirin/menthol/camphor topical on them, then put on a pair of leather work gloves (cook those suckers up), and u'll be playing the piano again in no time.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
porch-sitters rule! 'good afternoon, miss jones, i saw ur cuz amy over at the ace last week...' 'hey, ricky, i see ur jogging again. how's the knee...' 'whoa, look at the size of those turkey vultures, they look like they're on a mission, i wonder what they're after...' 'when are the smiths gonna cut their grass?' and then domestically, 'when will u be finishing (fill in the blank)...?' 'leave me alone, today is meant for sippin lemonade. if ur so excited aboot that, you do it.' equal rights and all that. lol.
signed, 'shop steward, local #1127, union of professional porch sitters.' if i play my cards right, well, just tell hoffa that im gunnin for his job....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
ash? the ash really, really amped up their departure this year. as far as ur paws, slap an aspirin/menthol/camphor topical on them, then put on a pair of leather work gloves (cook those suckers up), and u'll be playing the piano again in no time.
Emerald Ash Borers?

Reaction Score
The quiet we hear is the departure of the cicadas. The bodies of the fallen litter our sidewalks, and my dog will stay muzzled until the bugs are consumed by the birds and others. Can't say I love the invaders, but I do pity any group whose claim to fame is as "sustainable protein."
It occurs to me that these are probably my last cicadas. Have you noticed that at some point the life we have been living is accumulating a growing list of "lasts"? I doubt that I'll buy another car, hold another job, wear anything with a 31" waist again. Topping Wilt Chamberlain's record with the ladies seems out of reach.
So I will wander about dropping crumbs, wondering what it's all about. The only last I don't expect is for UConn to stop winning championships.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Emerald Ash Borers?
as the 'triggering' event some years back. as a sometime logger, im of the mind that something else is also going on in the forest, both bad and good. on the udder hand, we in Connecticut do have more trees now than, say 1800 or so, with many popping up in the last 80-100 years, so it's also time for many to join the dearly departed. they don't live forever, either, except mebbe the white oak. even the ones half dead seem to have lots of life left. no wonder it's our State emblem.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Being retired has it's perks. The HOA is responsible for the lawn, plant, shrub and tree (palm trees) maintenance.

The company that maintains the community starts in our area by 7:15 AM every Monday morning. A couple of hours later they are off to another street/ area.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
The quiet we hear is the departure of the cicadas. The bodies of the fallen litter our sidewalks, and my dog will stay muzzled until the bugs are consumed by the birds and others. Can't say I love the invaders, but I do pity any group whose claim to fame is as "sustainable protein."
It occurs to me that these are probably my last cicadas. Have you noticed that at some point the life we have been living is accumulating a growing list of "lasts"? I doubt that I'll buy another car, hold another job, wear anything with a 31" waist again. Topping Wilt Chamberlain's record with the ladies seems out of reach.
So I will wander about dropping crumbs, wondering what it's all about. The only last I don't expect is for UConn to stop winning championships.
I hope we are both years away from seeing our last Husky championship. We seem to have a similar lists of lasts. I have recently been contemplating the remaining life expectancy of my car. It's 12 years old and going strong. Never would have considered keeping a car this long, just can't see a reason at my age to replace it with a new one.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I try to nip all the ash when they’re babies. The County took down all the ash on public land about three years ago. Before that, the running trails were teeming with the (admittedly beautiful) ash borers. The year after the trails were just about free of the beetles, but they’re coming back.

Our trees are about half oak and half tuliptree. The ones we’ve lost are mostly from around 1890. I wonder whether there was a fire around then, or maybe the land was farm before that?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I try to nip all the ash when they’re babies. The County took down all the ash on public land about three years ago. Before that, the running trails were teeming with the (admittedly beautiful) ash borers. The year after the trails were just about free of the beetles, but they’re coming back.

Our trees are about half oak and half tuliptree. The ones we’ve lost are mostly from around 1890. I wonder whether there was a fire around then, or maybe the land was farm before that?
iffn ur a fellow nature nut, particularly for New England, i recently read this book written for us forest detectives. the 'illustrations' stink for my taste, but the insight is awesome. A+. i suppose that a deep search might bring the entire book if ur an online book reader (not me).
Reading-the-forested-landscape-Chapter-1-1h8rt6n.pdf (cpb-us-e1.wpmucdn.com)
after i read the hard copy, i had the very distinct feeling, when hiking around the hills and vales, of living a 'rosetta stone' moment. too cool.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping I won't outlive my life insurance coverage. Is that weird?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm hoping I won't outlive my life insurance coverage. Is that weird?
Not quite sure how that happens, unless you stop paying your premiums or, if it’s an employer paid benefit, you leave your job?

If you have one of those policies that cancels at age 95, and you’re worried about that, then I am impressed as hell.

Reaction Score
Not quite sure how that happens, unless you stop paying your premiums or, if it’s an employer paid benefit, you leave your job?

If you have one of those policies that cancels at age 95, and you’re worried about that, then I am impressed as hell.
Mine actually goes to age 101 but if I live that long I will have paid in more than I would have got back ..oy...Lord take me now.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Mine actually goes to age 101 but if I live that long I will have paid in more than I would have got back ..oy...Lord take me now.
You feel like an wanted man since you are worth more dead than alive.

Reaction Score
You feel like an wanted man since you are worth more dead than alive.
I tell my girlfriend that all the time which is why I employ a food taster whenever she cooks dinner.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom