It looks like Bill O'Brien is very close to leaving Penn State for the NFL | The Boneyard

It looks like Bill O'Brien is very close to leaving Penn State for the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bill O'Brien has emerged as the overwhelming favorite to become the next coach of the Houston Texans, and the two sides are working to get a deal in place within the next week, league sources told ESPN.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=10205777&src=desktop&wjb

(Update: Mort and Adam Schefter are now reporting O'Brien is close to finalizing a deal with the Texans)

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=The-coaching-carousel-is-on-the-verge-of-heating-up

I wonder if this may benefit us in the recruiting area before signing day. Were we close on any PSU commits?

Reaction Score
I wonder who will catch Ped State in the bowl game. Oh wait.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
He was sainted for not taking an NFL job last year. That didn't take long for him to get out of Happy Dodge.

Reaction Score
Can't blame him for taking Texans job. There is a solid nucleus there, and they might get the # 1 pick.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I don't understand why they lowered the buyout. Going to have to head over to the PSU board, but it's a headscratcher. There was no financial incentive.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
This was interesting:

"Some people say that O'Brien wanted to void his contract because he wasn't told about the possibility of sanctions. This (restructuring) was PSU's compromise."

Reaction Score
The school makes money off his offer for a higher paying job.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
O'Brien leaving gfor the NFL opens up every position at PSU. It was a toxic jon to take immediately after Joe Pa and the ssanctions. That stigma has passed. PSU is th premiere program in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic. This could put Uconn's and all other positions in flux til PSU gets done.

Reaction Score
Holley wouldn't be the first commit "fibbed" to but...

From 45 minutes ago:

“@Lions247: O'Brien tells Holley he's staying: Thomas Holley spoke with Penn State head coach Bill O'Brien a few minutes a... http://Post original url/19uEdpZ”

>>Brooklyn (N.Y.) Abraham Lincoln five-star defensive tackle and Penn State commit Thomas Holley spoke with head coach Bill O'Brien a few minutes ago regarding the ESPN report that O'Brien was in the process of working on a deal to become the Houston Texans next head coach. “I just off the phone with him," Holley told 247Sports Luke Stampini. "He said he isn’t going. It’s not true."<<

Also - “@Lions247: #PennState picked up a commitment from Milford Academy (N.Y.) OL Chasz Wright on Saturday.http://fb.me/2B5TQ6Ae5”

Wright de-committed from UConn, committed to Temple and now de- committed from Temple to Commit to PSU.

Reaction Score
Holley wouldn't be the first commit "fibbed" to but...

From 45 minutes ago:

“@Lions247: O'Brien tells Holley he's staying: Thomas Holley spoke with Penn State head coach Bill O'Brien a few minutes a... http://Post original url/19uEdpZ”

>>Brooklyn (N.Y.) Abraham Lincoln five-star defensive tackle and Penn State commit Thomas Holley spoke with head coach Bill O'Brien a few minutes ago regarding the ESPN report that O'Brien was in the process of working on a deal to become the Houston Texans next head coach. “I just off the phone with him," Holley told 247Sports Luke Stampini. "He said he isn’t going. It’s not true."<<
He has to say that until ink is dry on contract otherwise his class falls apart..and if things go wrong at the last minute and he has to stay at PSU that is bad. I would take what B OB says with a HUGE grain of salt. I still say he is a goner...replaced by either James Franklin or Mike Munchak

Reaction Score
He has to say that until ink is dry on contract otherwise his class falls apart..and if things go wrong at the last minute and he has to stay at PSU that is bad. I would take what B OB says with a HUGE grain of salt. I still say he is a goner...replaced by either James Franklin or Mike Munchak

Well then scratch me off the list to replace O'Brien at PSU ... because I could never see any good reason to lie to players to keep the recruiting class from falling apart ...

Reaction Score
Well then scratch me off the list to replace O'Brien at PSU ... because I could never see any good reason to lie to players to keep the recruiting class from falling apart ...
Unfortunately they all do it...When Schiano took Tampa Bay job his Asst's were out on the road recruiting and found out the hard way..from a recruit. He had called the recruits earlier and said he wasn't going anywhere.

Reaction Score
So I guess ... "College football coaching as a profession is very dynamic. Your committment should be based on more than just a coaching staff. Make sure you weigh the full benefits of the University of Connecticut and everything it has to offer you before you committ." .... wouldn't garner me a lot of 4 and 5 *'s???

Reaction Score
Unfortunately they all do it...When Schiano took Tampa Bay job his Asst's were out on the road recruiting and found out the hard way..from a recruit. He had called the recruits earlier and said he wasn't going anywhere.

And what good does it really do to lie when the recruits find out you interviewed, but didn't get the offer ... that is somehow honorable? They can believe any thing you say in the future?

Reaction Score
Word is Penn State is going to go hard after Schiano, I didn't want him here when I floated his name as a possible HC candidate., but it is amazing how highly this guy is thought of in coaching circles. He managed to get an NFL coaching gig despite ever winning one league title, and now after starting 0-9, in the NFL this year is on the verge of getting the premier college coaching gig on the East Coast.

Reaction Score
Word is Penn State is going to go hard after Schiano, I didn't want him here when I floated his name as a possible HC candidate., but it is amazing how highly this guy is thought of in coaching circles. He managed to get an NFL coaching gig despite ever winning one league title, and now after starting 0-9, in the NFL this year is on the verge of getting the premier college coaching gig on the East Coast.

He was literally Tampa's 12th choice. Not an exaggeration.

Reaction Score

Munchak supposedly turned PSU down last time...and they ended up getting O'Brien. No telling if there are still ruffled feathers at PSU (or fur... as the case may be) because of that. My guess is they will still go after Munchak as their number one choice...and it's rumored that he may be willing to consider it seriously this time. Schiano would be a big surprise to me...assuming Munchak is interested.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I thought Schiano coached on a staff with Sandusky so would never be considered.

Reaction Score
Did O'Brien have any links or ties to PSU before getting the job?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

Latest report is that Tampa Bay fans just rented a helicopter to take him to the interview.

WelcometoOurNightmareBucsEagles.jpg

Reaction Score
If I was PSU I would do everything humanly possible to keep O'Brien in the fold. Somebody mentioned Petrino which is just hysterical. PSU needs that walking time bomb like a hole in the head. As for Schiano, isn't it pretty obvious by now the guy is a lousy coach?

Reaction Score
Yeah, I can't see who they will replace O'Brien with. They absolutely cannot hire anyone with baggage (sorry Bobby Petrino). Has Munchak ever coached at the collegiate level? The smart move would be to throw a ton of money at O'Brien and hope he stays (and this Texans talk could just be his way of getting more money from PSU).

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I gotta think Golden would be there choice. Miami is a great job for recruiting purposes, but PSU is his alma mater and the fan base is much better than Miami.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom