It is not 161-2 but | The Boneyard

It is not 161-2 but

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
it still frosts my patootie (yes, I do have a patootie) that the two leading AAC scorers, Courtney Williams (USF) and Zykira Lewis (UCF), played 38 minutes and 40- minutes respectively in a game UConn's bench and walk-ons had significant playing time. I suggest that the AAC start a weekly Most Outstanding Unsportsmanship Coaching Award - that way Jose Fernandez and Joi Williams would have something to take home to put on their mantles.

Reaction Score
I thought they said UCF doesn't have any true post players either with 2 of them injured and the third out with a concussion. I remember some people saying the same thing about UConn last year, about their starters playing so much when they had a short bench.

Reaction Score
If my best player got shut down for 30 mins against UConn, I absolutely would want her to play against the 2nd team. It would give her a chance to get her rhythm and confidence back that night. I would want the bad feeling of being ineffective to not carry over to future games.

Reaction Score
Before Jim Calhoun found his footing at UConn, he chided legendary St. John's coach, Lou Carnesecca, for something he felt did not display good sportsmanship, to which Carnesecca replied, “Hey Irish, you can only coach one team.”

Reaction Score
It is very obvious that many UConn responders to this post are very magnanimous, however the two coaches who played their two leading AAC scorers for essentially the whole game were padding said players stats. There were available players off the the bench for UCF, of which two had decent minutes, and several more players than that for USF. You do not keep your league leading scorers in the game for essentially the whole game, much of which is against the bench and walk-on players of the other team. Unless you want to pad stats! If your really believe that pulling you best players is a a sign that the rest of the team should give up , then I suppose you believe that Saniya, Kiah, Gabby, Courtney, Tierney and Briana do not try to play their best because the starting UConn players are on the bench - something I highly doubt. Keeping your scoring phenom in the game eventually, eventially leads to to other players believing that the coach favors the star of the team over the team and the other players. If you don't believe that the other players don't think of themselves individually, then just think of the selfies on the web by young people. I know what might cross your mind - but CD has a special shot that she gives to each UConn player when they commit to UConn basketball. Keeping those leading AAC scorers in the whole game against bench and walk-ons is the definition of coaching poor sportsmanship.

Reaction Score
You are upset that a team that lost 100-45 did what?

I'm pretty sure any rational person would say that scoring 100 is less sportsmanlike than playing good players down 60.

Agree. UCF coach did nothing wrong.

Reaction Score
It is very obvious that many UConn responders to this post are very magnanimous, however the two coaches who played their two leading AAC scorers for essentially the whole game were padding said players stats. There were available players off the the bench for UCF, of which two had decent minutes, and several more players than that for USF. You do not keep your league leading scorers in the game for essentially the whole game, much of which is against the bench and walk-on players of the other team. Unless you want to pad stats! If your really believe that pulling you best players is a a sign that the rest of the team should give up , then I suppose you believe that Saniya, Kiah, Gabby, Courtney, Tierney and Briana do not try to play their best because the starting UConn players are on the bench - something I highly doubt. Keeping your scoring phenom in the game eventually, eventially leads to to other players believing that the coach favors the star of the team over the team and the other players. If you don't believe that the other players don't think of themselves individually, then just think of the selfies on the web by young people. I know what might cross your mind - but CD has a special shot that she gives to each UConn player when they commit to UConn basketball. Keeping those leading AAC scorers in the whole game against bench and walk-ons is the definition of coaching poor sportsmanship.
So wrong, it's ludicrous to even respond.

Reaction Score
In the 2002 national semifinal against Tennesse, a game that UConn won by 23 points, led by as many as 32 at 7:30, Coach Auriemma had at least three starters on the floor until 3:20 left in the game and finally pulled Sue Bird at 2:27. However, Swin Cash, the team's leading scorer and rebounder remained on the floor until there was less than a minute left; Certainly not to pad her stats. Fact was, Cash did not play a particularly good game against Tennessee and was not playing particularly well in the tournament. She was in a funk and the team needed her to get out of it if they expected to go undefeated and win the national championship. Coach Auriemma made a point of leaving Cash in the game to play with the bench players to humiliate and embarrass her; Even screamed at her during a timeout berating her unmercifully. Well, we all know that UConn went on to an undefeated national championship season. And who walked away with the trophy for Most Outstanding Player of the Tournament?

Of all the reasons the respective coaches of USF and UCF may have left their top players on the floor, the least likely is one that will gain them criticism for lack of sportsmanship.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
it still frosts my patootie (yes, I do have a patootie) that the two leading AAC scorers, Courtney Williams (USF) and Zykira Lewis (UCF), played 38 minutes and 40- minutes respectively in a game UConn's bench and walk-ons had significant playing time. I suggest that the AAC start a weekly Most Outstanding Unsportsmanship Coaching Award - that way Jose Fernandez and Joi Williams would have something to take home to put on their mantles.
Gotta say, that sounds pretty ridiculous. Rather, I'd go the other way and say both coaches showed very good sportsmanship. You are pretty much completely out to lunch on this one.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Um, just wow. And of course Geno was mixing in one of his regulars for much of the time to steady the reserves, so part of this carp is about when Zykira was in there against one of the "Three to See" in KML. And of course the reserves are always going up against the best players in the nation in practice so it would be an insult if they didn't get a chance against the best the other team has to offer.

It's complaints like this that gives fanbases of great teams some poor reputations.

Reaction Score
I would expect the losing team to keep its best players in the game. How else are they going to comeback? As for padding their stats, going 8 for 25 (Williams) or 6 for 29 (Lewis), is that padding?

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
So you think the losing team should give up? You should also note that UCF only had 8 players, at least one of which I think was a walk on.

I didn't see the game (plan to watch replay on ESPN3 later today) so I don't know how many Knights were suited up, but they list 13 players on their roster.

I agree with the general response to the opening post - I don't see anything wrong with UCF leaving Lewis in.

As a group, Boneyard participants don't follow the daily ins and outs of UCF and I doubt we have much insight as to how Joi Williams coaches her team and what goes into her decision making as to who plays and who sits. I think that makes criticism of her out of bounds.

Reaction Score
Letting up on a team is the biggest smack in the face you can give an opponent. It clearly send the message, "you deserve pity". To me, sportsmanship is not intentionally stepping on someone's neck when they fall down. Play by the rules, regardless of score, and you're ok by me.

cabbie191

Reaction Score
So you think the losing team should give up? You should also note that UCF only had 8 players, at least one of which I think was a walk on.

I watched the first half and indeed, it was announced that UCF only had 8 players suited up. Meghan only talked about two players being injured so my question is: if you add the 8 dressed for the game and the two injured, that leaves three unaccounted for if in fact the team roster as found on the UCF website is accurate. Wonder what happened? Losing 5 out of 13 players is quite the toll.

Reaction Score
Watching their bench, I was hard pressed to even id the additional players. At one time there was two of them being treated for injuries. They simply had no replacement/bench players. I was very impressed that they kept playing in the face of adversity. I was also afraid that if they had another injury, they would have not been able to even field four players.
Credit to them for making it through a tough game alive.

Reaction Score

After reading this, it brings to mind the First law of Holes......When you find yourself in a deep hole, stop digging.

Reaction Score
The OP is so dead wrong on this that it's hard to believe. When you have a short bench -- and a short team, for that matter (with two bigs out with injuries, as I understand it), you play however you can, especially when your anatomy is getting whipped by the other guy. There was no bad sportsmanship there, just a little desperation, maybe. Personally, I believe it's very hard to criticize a coach who does anything within the rules when his/her team faces a juggernaut like UConn. Now, I'm not talking Syracuse in that notorious game a few years ago when there appeared to be coach-sanctioned muggings going on. Not at all. But allowing your good players to play when they are not a whole lot better than the second and third team players fielded by UConn is nothing to be ashamed of, IMHO.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I watched the first half and indeed, it was announced that UCF only had 8 players suited up. Meghan only talked about two players being injured so my question is: if you add the 8 dressed for the game and the two injured, that leaves three unaccounted for if in fact the team roster as found on the UCF website is accurate. Wonder what happened? Losing 5 out of 13 players is quite the toll.
Not unusual. One of the 13 on the roster (Massey) like UConn's Butler is a transfer who is ineligible to play. In fact, UCF has had a huge influx of transfers the last two years. Two players, Reasor and Shuler, were both injured in the seventh game of the season and haven't played in a month so are no longer on the broadcasters' radar anymore. The two who were listed as unavailable due to injuries were Yanique Gordon and Jordan Jackson, and Gordon's absence hurt because she is the team's second leading rebounder and shoots over 50%. With Gordon in there, the Knights might have kept the margin to 50.

Reaction Score
I sure hope this was one of those sarcastic posts I've heard about. There really needs to be some standard for the BY that alerts others of sarcasm. I propose we set a certain font color aside for sarcastic comments. I'll start..... I think it was shameful of Kiah to block all those shots of a team that was losing by 50 points. :)

Reaction Score
After reading the replies, I see the error of my ways. One of our starters played 23 min, the rest of the starters, the best players in Women's College Basketball, played between 17 & 20 minutes. I can absolutely see how outsiders would consider this piling on because one starter was on the floor for a few minutes to stabilize the four bench/walk-ons. And of course Z. Lewis had to played 40- minutes, there were only two subs on the USF bench who had played about half the game - how could Z. Lewis come out when with only two viable players available, one who shot the highest field goal % in this game for UCF. Had J. Williams pulled Z. Lewis for four minutes or so, UConn may have won by 59 instead of 55 - with possible job consequences for J.Williams. And when Z. Lewis knocks Mo off the all-AAC first team, the boneyard will nod their heads in agreement, because Z. Lewis has the "stats". (an aside: C. Williams (USF) will be First team all-AAC, because I consider her mid-range jumper the sweetest this side of Bria Hartley) Not only has Z. Lewis got the stats, she got some of her points against the fresh legs of the bench/walk-ons of the opposing teams, not easy to do. Thank you Boneyarders for enlightening me on good sportsmanship. Done with this thread, so I "Say Good Night Gracie - Goodnight Mrs. Calabash wherever you are". Warning - sayings my not be original.

cabbie191

Reaction Score
Not unusual. One of the 13 on the roster (Massey) like UConn's Butler is a transfer who is ineligible to play. In fact, UCF has had a huge influx of transfers the last two years. Two players, Reasor and Shuler, were both injured in the seventh game of the season and haven't played in a month so are no longer on the broadcasters' radar anymore. The two who were listed as unavailable due to injuries were Yanique Gordon and Jordan Jackson, and Gordon's absence hurt because she is the team's second leading rebounder and shoots over 50%. With Gordon in there, the Knights might have kept the margin to 50.

Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger