It didn't take long for Notre Dame…. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It didn't take long for Notre Dame….

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The real reason for this is because nobody in Boston gives a about BC football or basketball or... (anything but hockey)
You can't really say this however if Uconn's home football game attendance is no better than that of BC. If the home game football attendance is about the same, is it likewise accurate to say" nobody gives a sh ^t "about Uconn football in Connecticut "? Of course not. Plus, Uconn football has little of the intense competition that BC does for the casual sports fans dollar. But the home game football attendance is about the same. So its not entirely accurate to state that" nobody gives a sh&t about BC( or Uconn ) football " in their respective areas.

Reaction Score
I mean hell not to diminish UCONN but at least they forced Michigan to play them at the Rent and it was a home game for UCONN.
And thats fine too. On the other hand, if the President of ND telephoned the President of Uconn this afternoon and asked Uconn if they'd agree to play ND at the Yale Bowl in a couple of years and under the same financial terms that BC agreed to play BC in Boston's Fenway Park ( and even have ND convince themselves that its a " home game " playing 1500 miles away from Indiana ) I'm entirely confident that the Uconn Admin. would make that deal, and not a soul on here would be concerned with those terms... as it sure beats the heck out of playing Memphis, Tulane, Temple, East Carolina etc at a " home game " at the Rent in terms of Uconn football fan interest. BC playing ND in Boston's Fenway Park and under terms both can live with, is better for BC fans than a game with Wake Forest, NC State, etc at Alumni. I don't really care what ND calls the game., ie " home game.. away game... faraway game... faraway " home game ".... or whatever.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They tried to pull that crap with us. They wanted a 2v1 deal I believe where our 'one' would be at MetLife and they would get the half of the gate. We told them to get out. I can't wait, ten to twenty more years and 80% of their fans will be dead.

People like you said the same thing in the Sixties......

Last edited:
Reaction Score
WTF? BCU, UNJ, and ND fans arguing over gate receipts at Fenway? I want my last 2 minutes of my life back. I'm going to start a log of minutes of my life spent wasted reading stupid discussions here.

Well.....

You know what, never mind, I won't do that. I still want my last 2 minutes back though for this one.

Reaction Score
You must feel proud then. Being another team's patsy. Come on dude there is NO way to spin this as a positive. Another team scheduled a home game in your hometown, AGAINST YOU.
It is a bold, unconventional move, no argument there.

If BC can get their fans to buy-up tickets (admittedly, I am not sure how many tickets will be available for BC on the first- or second-hand markets) and show up, and then win the game on the field, I'd say BC comes out smelling like a rose... and Notre Dame looks ridiculously foolish and arrogant for arranging this. (And then to think Notre Dame will be coming to Chestnut Hill soon after for a BC home game? Have cake and eat it, too.)

If I can have a "road game" with zero travel expense for program (and local fans), zero inconvenience for the so-called student-athletes, much easier geographic access for fans to a "road game" (though admittedly ticket access could prove difficult) while still retaining a full allotment of home games (including a subsequent visit by ND), it looks like a great business deal for BC.

If ND fans dominate the stands and dominate the play on the field -- as they MUST feel they will, to schedule something like this -- then BC is totally embarrassed and likely never does it again. Lesson learned, prepare for ND's subsequent trip to Chestnut Hill.

I personally thought it was lame of Florida State to move their 1994 game with ND (a Seminole home game) to Orlando. Yes, Orlando draws well for the Seminoles, but Orlando also opens things up a lot more for ND fans -- hence why ND eagerly agreed to it. I would have thought a true FSU home game versus ND would have been epic for Seminole fans -- with a dearth of ND fans -- but FSU indeed moved their own home game for Notre Dame. (FSU has subsequently moved Seminole home games versus Duke, Wake Forest, Colorado, and Alabama to Orlando or Jacksonville)

Reaction Score
If it is an ND "home" game, then ND will control the ticket sales and the game will be televised on NBC. BC will get 5,000 tickets unless this game will be treated differently than every other annual ND "Shamrock Series" (home away from home) game that has happened since 2009.

Reaction Score
It is a bold, unconventional move, no argument there.

If BC can get their fans to buy-up tickets (admittedly, I am not sure how many tickets will be available for BC on the first- or second-hand markets) and show up, and then win the game on the field, I'd say BC comes out smelling like a rose... and Notre Dame looks ridiculously foolish and arrogant for arranging this. (And then to think Notre Dame will be coming to Chestnut Hill soon after for a BC home game? Have cake and eat it, too.)

If I can have a "road game" with zero travel expense for program (and local fans), zero inconvenience for the so-called student-athletes, much easier geographic access for fans to a "road game" (though admittedly ticket access could prove difficult) while still retaining a full allotment of home games (including a subsequent visit by ND), it looks like a great business deal for BC.

If ND fans dominate the stands and dominate the play on the field -- as they MUST feel they will, to schedule something like this -- then BC is totally embarrassed and likely never does it again. Lesson learned, prepare for ND's subsequent trip to Chestnut Hill.

I personally thought it was lame of Florida State to move their 1994 game with ND (a Seminole home game) to Orlando. Yes, Orlando draws well for the Seminoles, but Orlando also opens things up a lot more for ND fans -- hence why ND eagerly agreed to it. I would have thought a true FSU home game versus ND would have been epic for Seminole fans -- with a dearth of ND fans -- but FSU indeed moved their own home game for Notre Dame. (FSU has subsequently moved Seminole home games versus Duke, Wake Forest, Colorado, and Alabama to Orlando or Jacksonville)

This is a good assessment and observation on both the potential upside and downside to both Schools of the mutual agreement between BC and ND on this game both agreed to play in Boston's Fenway Park. I'd agree with your comments here regarding this.

Reaction Score
If it is an ND "home" game, then ND will control the ticket sales and the game will be televised on NBC. BC will get 5,000 tickets unless this game will be treated differently than every other annual ND "Shamrock Series" (home away from home) game that has happened since 2009.
Keep in mind that the game will be played in smallish Fenway Park where the attendance ( for both schools ) will be only about 40,000 or so. Yes, ND gets NBC, but they always do. We look at this from the perspective that ND is the national program with the leverage and cache( even if their record on the field belies this stature ). Playing ND for BC is better than not playing them, and playing them in Boston's Fenway Park is way better than playing them in South Bend in double the sized stadium than Fenway Park and filled almost entirely of ND fans. So yes, this is a good deal for ND, but anytime BC plays ND, from BC's perspective, it can't be a bad thing for them by any stretch. Plus, the national telecast TV storyline will be about Boston's Fenway Park throughout the game, we can be sure. This can't be viewed as a bad thing for BC's recruiting... assuming they make a good showing in the game at Fenway Park of course.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Nope. It's going to be exactly like every other "Shamrock Series" game, according to today's Boston Globe:

Boston College’s campus in Chestnut Hill is but a short ride on the Green Line to Fenway Park. But when the Eagles face Notre Dame next year in the first football game to be played in the historic ballpark in 47 years, BC will be treated as the visitor.

And yes, even though it’s 778 miles from South Bend, Ind., to Kenmore Square, the Fighting Irish will get all the perks of the home team.

Which means Notre Dame will get the vast bulk of the ticket allotment in the small park, creating what many anticipate will be a mad scramble among locals for what is expected to be BC’s share of fewer than 5,000 seats. And just to make things worse, Notre Dame will get to set the face value prices.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/2014/05/...dame-fenway/Cbt0A04a6m3IlDDlZO6ISN/story.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom