It appears that UConn's Pledge of Allegiance debate has gone national | The Boneyard

It appears that UConn's Pledge of Allegiance debate has gone national

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Geno Auriemma, UConn‘s women’s basketball coach, agrees with the decision to include it and has been open about his support for saying the Pledge. ”It’s like anything else, you’re gonna have people that complain about it and people that love it,” he said at a press conference last week. “And then you have the wackos that say ‘well we shouldn’t bring God into this,‘ because you have to say ’one nation under God’ right?”

Good for Geno. frankly, i haven't said the pledge for years. i also never sing the national anthem at the games i go to. i have a crap voice. so if you don't want to participate, stand quietly and don't speak the pledge. what's the big deal? we already play the STar Spangled Banner. they sing God Bless America at baseball games during the 7th inning sometimes. so what? if one feels better about it, replace "God" with "Universe" or something...

Reaction Score
Geno Auriemma, UConn‘s women’s basketball coach, agrees with the decision to include it and has been open about his support for saying the Pledge. ”It’s like anything else, you’re gonna have people that complain about it and people that love it,” he said at a press conference last week. “And then you have the wackos that say ‘well we shouldn’t bring God into this,‘ because you have to say ’one nation under God’ right?”

Good for Geno. frankly, i haven't said the pledge for years. i also never sing the national anthem at the games i go to. i have a crap voice. so if you don't want to participate, stand quietly and don't speak the pledge. what's the big deal? we already play the STar Spangled Banner. they sing God Bless America at baseball games during the 7th inning sometimes. so what? if one feels better about it, replace "God" with "Universe" or something...
I agree. If this is all fans have to complain about, they are fortunate. Be grateful that you have good health and are able to attend the games.

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
The pledge is the reason I will not attend another UConn game. EVER. I will wait to see this team when they play in Bridgeport and Kingston. I am absolutely fed up with the University of Connecticut milking me at every turn in the road and then on top of that asking me to stand and prove my patriotism. I know who I am. I am a proud American that doesn't need to be told to stand at attention to prove it.

You can count me as one as one of the lost fans in the attendance count .

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The pledge is the reason I will not attend another UConn game. EVER. I will wait to see this team when they play in Bridgeport and Kingston. I am absolutely fed up with the University of Connecticut milking me at every turn in the road and then on top of that asking me to stand and prove my patriotism. I know who I am. I am a proud American that doesn't need to be told to stand at attention to prove it.

That's pretty sad.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
That's pretty sad.

Meyers, I've gotta agree with you but I would have chosen pathetic over sad...

I wonder if this thin skinned, hair triggered, anger prone, self-righteous, constantly offended, and oh so very sensitive generation of ours would have made it across the prairies and mountains to the Pacific, if we were the group called upon to build America out to the west coast.

Ok stop the Oxen everybody... It seems that Mr. Smithers may be getting a callous on one of his pink little palms. Circle up, back to your hotels and get some sleep!! We'll try to start this adventure off again come first light.... and don't spare the SPF-45!

Your Ol' Pal Boo

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score

Oh well, no biggy...just another seat that can be occupied by a more reasonable American. One with a little thicker skin, one who can tolerate other's need to express their patriotism in an overt manner. One that has the sense to figure out that if they do not want to say the pledge, sing the anthem, or even stand for either of them or stand for UConn's first point...you don't have to. You see this is America...you do not have to participate, you do not even have to stand and wait for UConn to score their first basket...
NO ONE makes you do anything. You don't want to hear...fine...put ear plugs in your ears...during the pledge...it is only about 30 seconds anyway...sit down and wait for the rest of the patriotic idiots to "prove their patriotism". When it is over...take your ear plugs out, put them in your pocket...problem solved. Everyone is happy. Those that feel good saying the pledge can do so...those that do not don't have to do so. Or, as in your case stay home...who cares...anyway? There will be someone else to take your seat.

JS

Reaction Score
This debate has thus far been conducted with remarkable civility.

Right now the new thread, after one removed post, is teetering on the edge of that category.

Reaction Score
Maybe he also doesn't want to deal with those who have expressed their thin-skinned anger prone need to heckle those being respectfully quiet during the pledge.

Reaction Score
sorry geno, but there are some people who think that "under god" was pushed into the pledge by real wackos.

JS

Reaction Score
time to pull the plug.
Yep.

The person who evidently prompted your post pulled the plug on himself before I could.

This thread took an uncivil turn from which it evidently isn't going to recover. So be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom