It’s Time To Get Serious | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It’s Time To Get Serious

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
We have some work to do but we can compete in this league. We’re heading out to Boise to watch the Huskies battle the Broncos. Experience gained from the sheer speed of UCF’s play calling should have the defense playing better this week against the Broncos uptempo offense. Fewer turnovers alone will assure a much more competitive game.
BTW, I believe the comments about a dejected bench on Thursday night were less about game performance and more about how many of the non Edsall recruits are feeling now that the word is out that but for a small contingent, Edsall has committed to moving forward this year with his recruits, leaving the others lower on the depth chart as essentially spot players. That may be a smart move in a rebuilding effort but it’s bummed out some of the guys. Especially when they saw the young pups struggling.
Things will be better in Boise. More scoring and no Heisman QB to contend with.
Can’t wait to see the blue field. Hope lots of you are going.
Sure hope so. Enjoy the trip and the game. And bring your glasses!
rose-glasses.jpg

C

Chief00

No sarcasm there.

Two years ago, I did a position-for-position analysis of PPs recruits versus DCs. For the most part, DCs recruits were unable to overtake PPs recruits, even though DC was the one that had recruited them.

Edsall does not appear to have any issues with his recruits overtaking DCs recruits now, either...

Coach P, despite his faults, could evaluate talent.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I’m most concerned about a 10:15 ET start and then a trip back across the country to play a noon game the following weekend. After factoring in time change/travel/sleep disruptions that’s going to feel like a five day week.

Yeah, I had a staffer mention this during spring. They really didn’t want the 10 PM slot—were hoping to play early. Hopefully the short week doesn’t hurt their prep for URI or cause them to come out flat, because we really can’t afford it in that game.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I had a staffer mention this (10:15 MT kickoff) during spring ...
Losing some game prep time is one thing, yet impacts of a mere 2 hr time difference & 5 hour flight time are often exaggerated; particularly with 18-23 yr olds. The youts may sleep even earlier in a Boise hotel than surrounded by UConn coeds & other campus social distractions, will likely crash en route to CT, etc. Absent imaginatively-concocted sports board challenges, coaches & other staff with relevant experience may just figure things out.

Last edited:

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
If I felt I could count on a much improved defense from the Huskies I would be a lot more optimistic.

We have some work to do but we can compete in this league. We’re heading out to Boise to watch the Huskies battle the Broncos. Experience gained from the sheer speed of UCF’s play calling should have the defense playing better this week against the Broncos uptempo offense. Fewer turnovers alone will assure a much more competitive game.
BTW, I believe the comments about a dejected bench on Thursday night were less about game performance and more about how many of the non Edsall recruits are feeling now that the word is out that but for a small contingent, Edsall has committed to moving forward this year with his recruits, leaving the others lower on the depth chart as essentially spot players. That may be a smart move in a rebuilding effort but it’s bummed out some of the guys. Especially when they saw the young pups struggling.
r

Reaction Score
I know personally of one Diaco recruit who was told no such thing @Nostical ...he is on leadership council and has a great relationship with RE and his position coach.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I know personally of one Diaco recruit who was told no such thing @Nostical ...he is on leadership council and has a great relationship with RE and his position coach.

Forgive me for prying, but...does your tailgate rig happen to include a custom ambulance? If so, my crew was very impressed when they saw it on our way out of the UCF game. I thought that given your BY handle, it might have been you.

Reaction Score
Forgive me for prying, but...does your tailgate rig happen to include a custom ambulance? If so, my crew was very impressed when they saw it on our way out of the UCF game. I thought that given your BY handle, it might have been you.
Unfortunately No...that thing is awesome though!

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
We are where Memphis was 5 years ago. We can do it too.

Not really. Memphis was anywhere from mediocre to god awful for decades prior to its membership in the AAC. We had teams during the 2000's that were better than almost any Memphis had put on the field going back as far as the 1960's and possibly before. They were actually a lot worse off than us five years ago.

You are however correct in the sense that Memphis was always and continues to be a basketball first school like us, and we can achieve what they've accomplished in the past few seasons on the gridiron.

Reaction Score
I know personally of one Diaco recruit who was told no such thing. He is on leadership council and has a great relationship with RE and his position coach.

I get that. Remember, I said “But for a small contingent” ... So a few will still get the nod but many others who had assumed greater playing time will slide down the depth chart in favor of the newer Edsall recruits. I'm not making a value judgment, just stating the reality.

Reaction Score
Not sure what Todd ended up doing all said and done: UConn Tailgate Ambulance for Sale

One of the UConn Tailgate Ambulance's new owners is a dentist in Southington who is a season ticket holder. Last season, one of my fellow Rotarians told me that she was invited by this owner to a game. I ventured over for a few minutes to toast his purchase.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I get that. Remember, I said “But for a small contingent” ... So a few will still get the nod but many others who had assumed greater playing time will slide down the depth chart in favor of the newer Edsall recruits. I'm not making a value judgment, just stating the reality.
I know...I'm just also stating a truth in what I know for a hard fact. And let's all be honest except for a few kids Diaco inherited in his first class that was basically recruited by Pasqualoni his recruits pretty much should have never even received a scholarship at this level. Case in point..the LB that RE was crucified in the media for pulling the scholarship.

Reaction Score
Losing some game prep time is one thing, yet impacts of a mere 2 hr time difference & 5 hour flight time are often exaggerated; particularly with 18-23 yr olds. The youts may sleep even earlier in a Boise hotel than surrounded by UConn coeds & other campus social distractions, will likely crash en route to CT, etc. Absent imaginatively-concocted sports board challenges, coaches & other staff with relevant experience may just figure things out.

It doesn't matter how young or athletic you are or how comfortable technology makes it. Traveling fundamentally disrupts your body rhythm in a way that induces lethargicness. Sure, trainers and coaches and dieticians can help offset that, but the home team has access to those things, too.

I mean, if some coaches are giving their players devices to track sleep, you have to believe it's pretty damn important. They're going to fly to Boise, get their teeth kicked in on some bizarro world blue field, then jet back to Connecticut only to land at some ungodly hour with their only fuel coming from whatever fragmented, disjointed sleep they managed to steal on the plain (all that in addition to coursework, film study, gameplanning, and whatever treatment they might get).

It's not like they won't be able to walk the following Saturday. It's more the cumulative effect that fatigue begins to have on everything they do leading up to the game.

Reaction Score
I can only think of one major contributor from last year that seems to have landed deep on the Edsall bench that matters and that is Skanes. Skanes should be in there for Mauriseau. Mauriseau should play his freshman four games and save the red shirt and put Skanes back in his spot. Mauriseau is supposed to have legit speed and a good route runner, but Skanes has experience and I would think is stronger which does influence a game (unlike practice).

Who else from last year is inexplicably buried?

Davis, crozier, Peart, Leone, DeGeorge, Hergy, McLean, Tahj, Dixon, Beals, Fortt, Coyle and Atkins still out there from the Diaco era.

I guess you could say Okounam and apparently Gilmartin - both got snaps last year - seem to be buried too.
I know it was only his first game but Maurisseau didn't look all that good out there. He made no effort to block anyone on one of Pindell's run. He also ran into his own guy on a jet sweep. He certainly wasn't an upgrade over Skanes.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I know it was only his first game but Maurisseau didn't look all that good out there. He made no effort to block anyone on one of Pindell's run. He also ran into his own guy on a jet sweep. He certainly wasn't an upgrade over Skanes.

Without the 4 game rule playing him would have made zero sense.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It doesn't matter how young or athletic you are or how comfortable technology makes it. Traveling fundamentally disrupts your body rhythm in a way that induces lethargicness. Sure, trainers and coaches and dieticians can help offset that, but the home team has access to those things, too.

I mean, if some coaches are giving their players devices to track sleep, you have to believe it's pretty damn important. They're going to fly to Boise, get their teeth kicked in on some bizarro world blue field, then jet back to Connecticut only to land at some ungodly hour with their only fuel coming from whatever fragmented, disjointed sleep they managed to steal on the plain (all that in addition to coursework, film study, gameplanning, and whatever treatment they might get).

It's not like they won't be able to walk the following Saturday. It's more the cumulative effect that fatigue begins to have on everything they do leading up to the game.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Sold the ambulance last year to a group of Husky Fans! Coaching 10U travel hockey has eliminated my tailgating at that level. Still make it to games though!
Saw an ambulance in the Blue lot with a New York Giants logo on Thursday. Same vehicle? If so, too bad they had to desecrate it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom