It’s Syracuse! | The Boneyard

It’s Syracuse!

Reaction Score
Syracuse came from behind. Scratch that. Fair came from behind and scored 11 straight all by herself!

UConn guards her tight, they should have it.

Reaction Score
Syracuse came from behind. Scratch that. Fair came from behind and scored 11 straight all by herself!

Sounds like a Job for the Mighty GNAT... Nika will get the assignment, and I wouldn't be surprised if the sideline reporters says... "Standing by the Syracuse huddle, and I hard Fair say..."Get 10 Out of my face!!!" "

Reaction Score

Fair is definitely a problem but she has a way of drawing fouls. If you can take her away without fouling then Wooley, Rice, and Latham will need attention. Just don't get late into the fourth with Syracuse in reach because that's when Fair explodes.

Reaction Score
Talk is cheap. Syracuse has played a lot of tight games several of which they have lost, but you have to play the version of Syracuse that shows up Monday, and try not to play them too close. KK and Nika have to join the offense, although they do a great job in many respects. Shade has keep eating what she has been eating. Q has to remember the medical oath - do no harm - and she can be a help in a scrappy game

Reaction Score
I think Nika and KK will tag team Fair throughout the game.........let's hope they don't get in foul trouble guarding her..........I'm glad it's Syracuse because Arizona still plays that tough defense that UConn is so familiar with........I was impressed by Syracuse's offensive rebounding but if you limit fair to 20 points or less UConn should take it going away...........

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Fair will be a problem. She has a handle that would do a Harlem Globetrotter proud. The classic quick, offensively skilled guard that often gives UConn problems. Have to hold her to around her average (or less) and above all avoid fouling.

Arizona had a lot of length and athleticism that could have caused us problems. Not deep though, only seven players. Syracuse is deeper but less athletic and obviously shorter at the guard positions.

Syracuse hasn't been putting up a ton of points lately. If I were coaching I would look at the tape of the Duke game from February 22 where Duke held Syracuse to 45.

If we have to I think we can outscore them but I hope that we can win it on the defensive end.

Reaction Score
You could see, watching the Arizona game, how much Fair loves her ball skills, and they are damn impressive. It has to be some sort of ball denial defense, and this will only be partially successful. Nika is not quick enough to keep up. KK is, but she is foul prone. We definitely don’t want to put her on the foul line. The goal should be to keep her under 20.

For me the important question in that game was about Fair’s defense. She’s at her best when she marks one of the guards at the top of the key. She has quick hands and can get steals and she knows how to jump passing lanes. But in their zone she ends up on the wing near the baseline. Coach Jack is trying to hide her out there, and we have to exploit that. If Ash makes 3s over her, Coach Jack will have to move her to the top of the zone, and then Paige will be able to shoot over her at will.

Jack won’t want to play their bigs for long because they can’t keep up with someone like Aaliyah. She’ll want to run a small lineup and hope to outrun us. But this is also the game Geno would prefer.

Reaction Score
So, it will be Coach Jack and Syracuse versus Geno and the Huskies on Monday. Those Boneyarders going to the game, can you please make sure she doesn’t ”kidnap” Paige, Nika, Aaliyah, Ashlyn, and KK? Last time she faced the Huskies on this platform, she checked with security to see if she could snatch Stewie and the gang. Luckily they told her ”no”, and so it was another banner year for UConn.

Reaction Score
Syracuse and UConn had a private scrimmage in preseason. Syracuse’s main line-up (as far as I’m aware) hasn’t changed much since then, whereas obvious UConn has had some drastic changes. Does this give UConn a slight advantage? They’ll be seeing some players for the first time, but UConn will know exactly who they’re up against.

UConn will have home court advantage, too. It’s my opinion that Syracuse doesn’t play as well on the road.

Lastly, correct me if I’m wrong, but it looked like Jackson State today played zone defense. The announcers more than once pointed out that Geno had spent a lot of time showing his players them how to beat a zone inside, not just hitting 3s. Syracuse (again, if I remember correctly) plays a lot of zone defense. So now we’ve got that experience of successfully beating a zone.

Reaction Score
I was really hoping that AZ would win that game. Small quick guards is UCONN's kryptonite.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I just read that the game on Monday is at 6:00.

I was surprised when I read that Syracuse beat Notre Dame TWO times this year!

Reaction Score
I'm not worried, even if Syracuse beat Notre Dame twice. I was more worried about today's game than anything. Syracuse won't be able to guard all our players

Reaction Score
Should be a great game. I’m a little nervous about Syracuse.

Fair is having an outstanding season. She really is one of the best players in the country and most importantly, quick and crafty, the type of player which has caused UConn problems.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom