It’s shocking the AD is broke | The Boneyard

It’s shocking the AD is broke

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So just like LinkedIn, except limited to former UConn athletes that you somehow wouldn't have been able connect with anywhere else on the internet.

Maybe my old man can network with Rudy Gay and get a job playing for the Spurs!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So just like LinkedIn, except limited to former UConn athletes that you somehow wouldn't have been able connect with anywhere else on the internet.

Maybe my old man can network with Rudy Gay and get a job playing for the Spurs!

The linkedin aspect is just one of the myriad of features.

I think the most important feature is feeling special.

Reaction Score
Sounds kind of silly but maybe the hope is that athletes will all of a sudden start donating to the school when they otherwise wouldn’t have had the opportunity? I get way too many opportunities to donate to my alma maters (mail, email, phone calls) so I’m not sure I see this logic.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
The linkedin aspect is just one of the myriad of features.

I think the most important feature is feeling special.

I can't believe that's in the actual article, let alone that that's the stated purpose of the service...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
They also bring in Jamelle Elliott to a made up job. I am sure this is rampant over the entire athletic department. Yeah revenue is down but they spend like drunken sailors. Fiscal responsibility is non-existinat.

I know I'll catch flack for it, but they still pay JC even though he's got another job.
Now I'll never knock JC himself, and (in theory) I get that he deserves anything, in that he built the damn thing. But it's not fiscally responsible. The fact is, he doesn't even remotely need the money.

How many other former stud coaches get this? (i've not idea).

I loved Jamelle Elliot the player, and by all accounts, she's a good person, but you gotta let people go. Jobs at UCONN should not be former employees pension plans.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They pay JC even though he's got another job. Now I'll never knock JC himself, and (in theory) I get that he deserves it in that he built the damn thing. But it's not fiscally responsible. The fact is, he doesn't even remotely need the money.

How many other former stud coaches get this? (i've not idea).

I loved Jamelle Elliot the player, and by all accounts, she's a good person, but you gotta let people go. Jobs at UCONN should not be former employees pension plans.

Calhoun running a basketball program at another school is a hilarious conflict of interest. But the state is too busy hassling Corey Edsall to notice I guess.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Calhoun running a basketball program at another school is a hilarious conflict of interest. But the state is too busy hassling Corey Edsall to notice I guess.

JC should have full access for life. Heck, even have an office in the sports complex if he wants. Get him an armchair courtside. Guy's the Godfather. I want him to be around the program.

But why actually employ (ie pay) him? No reason for it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
JC should have full access for life. Heck, even have an office in the sports complex if he wants. Get him an armchair courtside. Guy's the Godfather. I want him to be around the program.

But why actually employ (ie pay) him? No reason for it.

It’s the ultimate UConn logic.

Let’s pay someone to ‘fundraise’ who has aggressively encouraged our richest graduates to not donate.

Now I fully support people not donating - donating to any college is foolish in my mind - forget an athletic department run like this one. But I wouldn’t expect UConn to pay me to fundraise.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
And extract that to... these people are going to get us to the P5? Or improve UConn’s status in the world?

The follow on though is, how does one actually fix a broken AD? A broke AD. What President is gonna come in and do that? And last in their job? In a state like CT.

Presidents and ADs are looking for their next job (upwards). Especially at UCONN. And the above's potentially a career killer.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The follow on though is, how does one actually fix a broken AD? A broke AD. What President is gonna come in and do that? And last in their job? In a state like CT.

Presidents and ADs are looking for their next job (upwards). Especially at UCONN. And the above's potentially a career killer.

Can this one be fixed? It may not ultimately be successful in getting to the P5, but the right hire could fix many of the problems.

There is a pretty clear opportunity - if you can improve UConn in their dire straights - in the future a lot of schools may be in this position because the more I look at where the media is going the less likely I think those P5 TV distributions are going to grow.

Reaction Score

write down a list of all the major decisions that were made between 2012 and now and then try to do the opposite.

Reaction Score
They also bring in Jamelle Elliott to a made up job. I am sure this is rampant over the entire athletic department. Yeah revenue is down but they spend like drunken sailors. Fiscal responsibility is non-existinat.
Do they get lifetime pensions?

Reaction Score
write down a list of all the major decisions that were made between 2012 and now and then try to do the opposite.
1549214712895.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom