F4D59DE2-B273-483A-A28E-F1D31BE6839A.jpeg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Just too many articles to link

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Oh hey. Is this the first time we've seen actual details on Miles injury? That was my guess.
Still not confirmed. She might play in the 2023 NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
But it "has been" UCONN if one were to look at 3 consecutive years. Granted ND is getting crushed. And losing the superstar last year at the end of Feb is crushing too.

It's just that for UCONN - the injury bug has been for three straight years. And it's not like it has been just one player.

Reaction Score
I read the research on ACL injury prevention for women—one important finding is that ACL injury prevention programs work better for preventing ACL injuries in younger athletes (Before college). It’s still effective in college-age athletes, but less so.

This gives some support that athletes are heading to college with some predispositions that college trainers have to manage. Some may come in with strong injury prevention program experience and others without. So even if it’s not a lingering injury from high school, the athlete may have missed out on crucial prevention program training, thereby increasing her risk for injury.

I suspect (hypothesize) that middle/high school is the critical time to train the developing body to move correctly. By the time athletes get to college, ingrained body mechanics are tougher to change.

Most elite female athletes seem to recover from ACL injuries and pick up where they left off. But some do not. Either way, it’s always hard to see another athlete go down with an ACL injury.

Reaction Score
Kids play too many games through summer leagues and high school and often are not privy to the best injury prevention protocols.......I've seen many kids play basketball for 11 1/2 months out of the year so by the time they reach college if they haven't already had a torn meniscus or an ACL/MCL injury, their knees have some serious wear and tear on them........

Reaction Score
Injuries are part of the game. They can happen at any time and any where. Where ever they happen it is devastating to not only the player it happened to, but to many,many more people. The rest of the team,their parents, the school and friends. E very one must pick up the pieces and carry on as best they can and pray for a quick and permanent recovery. Always look to the future and not dwell on the misfortune. Uconn has been hit hard,but, has persevered admirably and so will the other teams. GO HUSKIES!!!!

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Kids play too many games through summer leagues and high school and often are not privy to the best injury prevention protocols.......I've seen many kids play basketball for 11 1/2 months out of the year so by the time they reach college if they haven't already had a torn meniscus or an ACL/MCL injury, their knees have some serious wear and tear on them........
Exactly. My g-kids are 11, 9, 9 and just started playing rec soccer a few years ago. Once practice per week, and one game on weekend. The 11 y/o has gone thru a wicked growth spurt since the summer, so knees (etc) have been achy. I'm hoping my littles get interested in BB, flag football, and all the other sports offered, as I don't want them to have overuse injuries.

A summer camp coach asked if we were considering them for "competitive" teams and I LOLed, as at least one still has trouble tying shoes, not to mention $$$ approaching $1000 for Sep-May, plus unis and tourney fees. Fast forward to last week and I was chatting with a league coordinator, and they said some of the comp coaches are now pushing for 3-4 practices a week (!!!!) at the younger ages, and the level of play isn't much better than the rec league. SMDH

Reaction Score
For any parents looking for help in preventing knee injuries, I recommend a book called Beating Patellar Tendinitis by Martin Koban which explains the knee architecture and offers numerous exercises to prevent specific knee issues......improper quad dominant jumping techniques often lead to serious knee issues and athletes can be retrained to prevent injury..... I gave a copy to both the grade school and high school basketball coaches where my daughter played, and they have incorporated some of these exercises to cure and prevent patellar tendon injuries which are very common among younger female athletes.....Koban's book Total Knee Health covers the more serious knee injuries.......and no I'm not his agent, just a Dad who used this book to get my daughter back on the court after a torn meniscus surgery.......I believe he also has a website......

Reaction Score
Nail hit exactly square on the head. Too much wear and tear on developing joints, muscles, tendons, etc. by playing the same sport and workouts year round with sport specialization. Add in the physical disposition of girls/women to knee injuries and you have a recipe for disaster!

Reaction Score
Nail hit exactly square on the head. Too much wear and tear on developing joints, muscles, tendons, etc. by playing the same sport and workouts year round with sport specialization. Add in the physical disposition of girls/women to knee injuries and you have a recipe for disaster!
It follows then that the strength and conditioning programs at all of these schools should be tailored to account for these overuse conditions and not exacerbate them. And not applying training techniques used for male athletes, to females.

Reaction Score
But it "has been" UCONN if one were to look at 3 consecutive years. Granted ND is getting crushed. And losing the superstar last year at the end of Feb is crushing too.

It's just that for UCONN - the injury bug has been for three straight years. And it's not like it has been just one player.
I remember that ND lost like four of their starters a few years ago and had to recruit walk ons mid-season in order to practice..........I'm sure Dillon knows more about this....

Reaction Score
I read the research on ACL injury prevention for women—one important finding is that ACL injury prevention programs work better for preventing ACL injuries in younger athletes (Before college). It’s still effective in college-age athletes, but less so.

This gives some support that athletes are heading to college with some predispositions that college trainers have to manage. Some may come in with strong injury prevention program experience and others without. So even if it’s not a lingering injury from high school, the athlete may have missed out on crucial prevention program training, thereby increasing her risk for injury.

I suspect (hypothesize) that middle/high school is the critical time to train the developing body to move correctly. By the time athletes get to college, ingrained body mechanics are tougher to change.

Most elite female athletes seem to recover from ACL injuries and pick up where they left off. But some do not. Either way, it’s always hard to see another athlete go down with an ACL injury.
My daughter had the training when she was in middle school, including learning how to land, how to fall, etc. In a college basketball game an opposing player fell on her outstretched leg causing an ACL. No training could have prevented that. There are many theories to explain the disproportionate rate of ACLs and ACL recurrences amongst female athletes. The person/company that develops some form of protection that lessens significantly the incidence will make a large, not small, fortune. ACLs are the bane of the explosion in womens and girls sports and not enough is being done about it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom