It’s in your blood’: Jersey made Dan Hurley who he is, how he coaches UConn | The Boneyard

It’s in your blood’: Jersey made Dan Hurley who he is, how he coaches UConn

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score

Hurley’s New Jersey past—he grew up in Jersey City as the son of a legendary coach, played college ball in South Orange and got his head coaching start in Newark— placed him on a basketball trajectory that landed him at UConn in 2018. His roots have helped set the foundation for the Huskies’ program, defining the types of players he looks for and is increasingly landing in his third season in Storrs.

“Guys that play high school and AAU and grassroots ball in Jersey, they have the makeup,” Hurley says. “They’ve got toughness, they’ve got the edge to come and play at a place like UConn, and handle the pressure and expectations of playing at a place like UConn. Guys from the Northeast, they thrive in a place like this because basketball is king.”

Reaction Score
Given the lack of success of New Jersey college basketball programs, one has to wonder about the validity of such a point of view. Why hasn't this toughness and make up translated into success at the collegiate level? I think that is a fair question.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
Given the lack of success of New Jersey college basketball programs, one has to wonder about the validity of such a point of view. Why hasn't this toughness and make up translated into success at the collegiate level? I think that is a fair question.

That says more about Rutgers and Seton Hall than it does about the players. New Jersey has tons of high-end talent, but in the recent past those players have gone to ACC/SEC

Reaction Score
That says more about Rutgers and Seton Hall than it does about the players. New Jersey has tons of high-end talent, but in the recent past those players have gone to ACC/SEC
Not to be argumentative.....but Hurley didn't mention "high end players" He said, “Guys that play high school and AAU and grassroots ball in Jersey, they have the makeup,”

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Freeman played at Patterson catholic and is on the UConn toughness mount rushmore. Who else is ex NJ?

Reaction Score
Jersey guards who play in Jersey are not the answer. They have no identity. DJ Wagner is an exception. We need to win for Wagner.

NY/PA/DMV/ and New England should be the priority. Midwest and Cali are also good places to look.

Big guys and small forwards from Jersey are solid. No leadership required from these positions.

Reaction Score
Jersey guards who play in Jersey are not the answer. They have no identity. DJ Wagner is an exception. We need to win for Wagner.

NY/PA/DMV/ and New England should be the priority. Midwest and Cali are also good places to look.

Big guys and small forwards from Jersey are solid. No leadership required from these positions.
What? Lmao

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
Not to be argumentative.....but Hurley didn't mention "high end players" He said, “Guys that play high school and AAU and grassroots ball in Jersey, they have the makeup,”

Semantics. It’s pretty evident that we are pursuing high-end players. Why would you expect low ranked talent to be able to turn around a program?

Reaction Score

Are you the same guy who started the "Jersey guards stink" meme that has been a running gag on here for months now? If not, I am blown away that there are more than one of you with this hilariously random and nonsensical stance.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I'm sure the take away from the article was Hurley's approach to the game, to recruiting, and to coaching. Not NJ players are the best and Dan can recruit them. But please, keep pissing on each other about Jersey guards.

Great article, imho.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Yawn.

Reaction Score
A lot of good players have come out of New Jersey over the years. Just off the top of my head, I can think of Bobby Hurley, Terry Dehere, Kyrie Irving, Troy Murphy, Tim Thomas, and I know there are many others.

Reaction Score
A lot of good players have come out of New Jersey over the years. Just off the top of my head, I can think of Bobby Hurley, Terry Dehere, Kyrie Irving, Troy Murphy, Tim Thomas, and I know there are many others.

Reaction Score
I'm sure the take away from the article was Hurley's approach to the game, to recruiting, and to coaching. Not NJ players are the best and Dan can recruit them. But please, keep pissing on each other about Jersey guards.

Great article, imho.

This. Also, I know Dan would have found his way back to basketball eventually, but it’s hard to express just how perfect a coach Blaney was for him at exactly the right time. And, any article that includes Fr. Leahy is a good one, and St. Benedict’s is a special place.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
When you switch from "one" has to wonder to "I" think, you ceded your foothold on "fair." Others have rightly rejected your argument on its merits, starting with the very first comment after your post.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

Wow I thought everyone scared you off of this take, haven't seen it in awhile. Do you just think everyone born in NJ is incapable of leadership?

Reaction Score

go tell that to coach... who’s from jersey.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Did you that Kevin Freeman and Tim Thomas were high school teammates?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I thought KFree was from Springfield, Mass. He learned toughness on the rugged streets of Longmeadow.
He went to Paterson Catholic in NJ where he was high school teammates with Tim Thomas.

Reaction Score

This continues to be the worst take I’ve ever seen. In general to overgeneralize about an entire state is faulty logic, and here it’s just flat wrong anyway.
Gonna be a tough two years for you having to watch rj Cole.
Coach K must be an idiot for coming into jersey for jay williams and kyrie. Or do they not count in your mathematical equation on Jersey?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom