It’s Football Season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

It’s Football Season

Reaction Score
Just wanted to point out that there already is parking for the at least 20,000 plus that already live, work, or go to school on campus. Those people would just walk to the stadium. Both you and the other on campus stadium complainers are so self-centered it’s laughable. The world does not revolve around 3, 4 or 5000 season ticket holders. If you don’t like it stay home and watch it on tv. :rolleyes:
Your knowledge of the situation is negligible at the best, I will not turn to reply with the narcissistic slander you prefer. :)
I am the last thing anyone I know would call self centered. With out bragging / listing I do many charitable things.
As to your comment on 4 or 5000 season ticket holders. You exposed your lack of knowledge on the subject again. Any idea of who is paying the freight? The NIL money you don't understand is coming from those you call self centered.

One can only hope you are a freshman and will learn in the next few years about infrastructure and reality. ;)

Reaction Score
I think you are referencing this article:

If so, I think you are misread it a bit.

The $172000 +3 dollar surcharge appears to be the old number, since after negotiation UConn is going to spend an estimated 2.7 million a year to play at the Rent.

Also the 20,000 through the gate breakeven figure is the number the DRA estimates that UConn needs to to break even under the new lease deal.

Finally the $250,000 "loss reimbursement" figure is an annual figure, not a per game figure.

I have no idea what breakeven would be for the facility if it were not being managed by the CDRA. They notoriously haven't been able to make a profit out of any venture they've undertaken. Keep in mind that other potential owners might be able to use the site for more than six football games a year. Extra uses means that the amount that needs to be made on a per use basis to cover carrying costs would be lower.
That's the article, and I did understand it exactly as you described with the 250k a maximum annual cost.

Under the old terms here is UConn's bill for last year:

172k*6 games = 1.032M
3 * (36526+20405+29038+21227+21704+19053) = $443,859
250k (assuming there was a loss)

Total bill = $1,725,859

So UConn has managed to get a worse deal from CRDA in the extension paying approximately an extra million a year.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That's the article, and I did understand it exactly as you described with the 250k a maximum annual cost.

172k*6 games = 1.032M

Total bill = $1,725,859

So UConn has managed to get a worse deal from CRDA in the extension paying approximately an extra million a year.
Correct. Bring a captive tenant sucks.

Reaction Score
Your knowledge of the situation is negligible at the best, I will not turn to reply with the narcissistic slander you prefer. :)
I am the last thing anyone I know would call self centered. With out bragging / listing I do many charitable things.
As to your comment on 4 or 5000 season ticket holders. You exposed your lack of knowledge on the subject again. Any idea of who is paying the freight? The NIL money you don't understand is coming from those you call self centered.

One can only hope you are a freshman and will learn in the next few years about infrastructure and reality. ;)
Just admit that you hate this picture and that will expose you for the selfish individual that you undoubtedly are…………

IMG_0985.jpeg

Reaction Score
Just admit that you hate this picture and that will expose you for the selfish individual that you undoubtedly are…………

View attachment 101645
The point is, that unless you start laying $300MM worth of golden eggs, a stadium in Storrs is not happening. What is happening is that the East Hartford stadium is getting $48MM in upgrades over the next two budget cycles.

Reaction Score
Just wanted to point out that there already is parking for the at least 20,000 plus that already live, work, or go to school on campus. Those people would just walk to the stadium. Both you and the other on campus stadium complainers are so self-centered it’s laughable. The world does not revolve around 3, 4 or 5000 season ticket holders. If you don’t like it stay home and watch it on tv. :rolleyes:
for what it's worth, last figure I saw was 14k season ticket holders.

CL82

Reaction Score
The point is, that unless you start laying $300MM worth of golden eggs, a stadium in Storrs is not happening. What is happening is that the East Hartford stadium is getting $48MM in upgrades over the next two budget cycles.
And they should keep it going through the end of it useful life in roughly 10 years. At that point in time the university and the state will be faced with a decision, whether to rebuild in East Hartford or whether to join with the vast majority of D1 major colleges and building an on-campus stadium.

There's pros and cons to either decision. On the plus side for building on campus, UConn would free itself of CDRA, an organization which has never run any venture profitably in its existence; have the opportunity to make millions more dollars annually from its football program by avoiding lease cost and being able to earn parking and concession revenues; and by having a football program that's readily accessible to the donor base, the students.

On the plus side for rebuilding in East Hartford, it's more convenient for people who live west of Hartford.

The University and the state will have to weigh those benefits and cost and make a decision. In the meantime, we get to see games at the ramp which is a terrific place to see a game Even with some emerging shortcomings as it ages. Hopefully, more people will get out to the stadium this year as the Team seems to have had a decent upgrade in talent and should be more competitive.

Reaction Score
And they should keep it going through the end of it useful life in roughly 10 years. At that point in time the university and the state will be faced with a decision, whether to rebuild in East Hartford or whether to join with the vast majority of D1 major colleges and building an on-campus stadium.

There's pros and cons to either decision. On the plus side for building on campus, UConn would free itself of CDRA, an organization which has never run any venture profitably in its existence; have the opportunity to make millions more dollars annually from its football program by avoiding lease cost and being able to earn parking and concession revenues; and by having a football program that's readily accessible to the donor base, the students.

On the plus side for rebuilding in East Hartford, it's more convenient for people who live west of Hartford.

The University and the state will have to weigh those benefits and cost and make a decision. In the meantime, we get to see games at the ramp which is a terrific place to see a game Even with some emerging shortcomings as it ages. Hopefully, more people will get out to the stadium this year as the Team seems to have had a decent upgrade in talent and should be more competitive.
There should be plenty of data to point the way for that decision.

Reaction Score
Then why is the BOT, the athletic dept, and the school hierarchy discussing it? The Rent needs badly needed repairs, not just upgrades, the roof is in such bad shape, it’s a joke. It can be viable as a pro team’s home, be it MLS, or a home for Central.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Some of these comments are hysterical. A MLS team? CCSU? C'mon....every last penny in the UConn AD budget just went to Hurley's new contract. I guarantee the FB team won't be seeing much of anything until they start winning. Hurley has brought back that Championship expectation that existed for almost 2 decades with the women's program. The football team will need to prove it can keep up and be relevant to a fan base that has now become engulfed in UConn BB.

And yes, I am a football first person but even I can see how much more this school has become obsessed with basketball than usual.

Reaction Score
Some of these comments are hysterical. A MLS team? CCSU? C'mon....every last penny in the UConn AD budget just went to Hurley's new contract. I guarantee the FB team won't be seeing much of anything until they start winning. Hurley has brought back that Championship expectation that existed for almost 2 decades with the women's program. The football team will need to prove it can keep up and be relevant to a fan base that has now become engulfed in UConn BB.

And yes, I am a football first person but even I can see how much more this school has become obsessed with basketball than usual.
I will remind you that UConn Football’s practice facilities are pretty damn good compared to many P5 programs, the only thing missing is an on campus stadium.

Bringing a MLS franchise to the Rent has been discussed for years, by the Kraft organization and others. Go ahead and laugh it off but it still could happen.

Reaction Score

You are of the belief that performance will lead to investment. I disagree. Benedict had to stop the bleeding with the Hoops program, hence the move to BE and we know what happened next. The bleeding has been stanched(I've always wanted to use that word)

DB is clearly a FB guy, and also a realist. He knows that "this is it", there is an opportunity that has to be seized. You saw it in how he courted Mora to Storrs. You saw it with Charlton being moved along. You could see a glimmer of it in the portal recruits this year. They didn't come for nothing.

A poster guessed that Liberty, JMU and Tulane all outspent the Huskies on FB. Gotta change that. Hit the various Collectives dedicated to FB with a Donation. Send another one to Ath Development, unrestricted FB. Talk up Husky FB at the water cooler. Who knows, maybe you go to a picnic this summer and meet a "Whale" looking to get involved in Husky FB. It happens.

Investment leads to results, can't wait for the results to spur investment. If that investment pays off (#W's), it will spur further investment.

Reaction Score
Maybe if Hartford gets a UFL team (rumored) maybe it would be nice to get an on campus stadium.
Hartford getting a team is literally the only thing that could make me care about the UFL.

Anyway, I’m feeling buoyed up by the Hurley news and the new transfer gets. I don’t know if 8-4 if doable, but why not?? Let’s goooooooo!

Reaction Score
Hartford getting a team is literally the only thing that could make me care about the UFL.

Anyway, I’m feeling buoyed up by the Hurley news and the new transfer gets. I don’t know if 8-4 if doable, but why not?? Let’s goooooooo!
I said it once and I’ll say it again, the Portal is the best thing that ever happened to UConn football and Jim Mora. For the first time since he’s been here Mora might almost field a team that’s a legitimate 2 players deep at every position.

Reaction Score
Love to see the positive passion. Hope that the "sad trombone" section isn't so beaten down that they can't get back up. Does the future of UConn FB(and athletics) ride on this season? NO. Is it really significant and can it do enough to move the needle of our base? YES.

Go Huskies.

CL82

Reaction Score

Apparently people like winning. UConn fans can be funny like that.

Reaction Score

172k*6 games = 1.032M

Total bill = $1,725,859

Whole thing is so stupid. It’s all state money with a lot of smoke and mirrors. One agency paying another has zero relevance to anybody other than internal money food fights.

Reaction Score
Those bus rides gotta suck balls, tho.
Mora said as much during both recent road shows. He basically said one of the big challenges for UConn is to have an on campus stadium. He’s definitely pushing for it. He also pointed out the only independents right now are UConn and Notre Dame.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom