It’s Football Season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

It’s Football Season

Reaction Score
What some of you forget is that the construction company and architects who want the job of designing and building the new stadium will advocate for its development. Often, they have a lot of political clout. So too do our alumni.
There's alot of good people involved with Uconn sports. But don't get it confused, if they had the impact you think they do, it could've been used "buying their way" into the ACC ( like a smaller school w/ a smaller stadium/fan base in Dallas did). Which would've been a hell of alot cheaper and been a way better long term investment than some on-campus stadium that's never gonna happen. ( at least until we get in the SEC or B1G, which is a nice dream too ;))

SMU Pays Way Into ACC With $200M From Boosters

Reaction Score
Why is an on campus stadium whine fest infecting every football thread? It's a complete fiction. Keep it all contained in one thread and let that thread be the cesspool. This thread should be about the first days of what's going on at camp. Not a retread of a 15 years complaint fest.
Well because most of those commenting have never been to the campus or absolutely no concept of the infrastructure situation. You have a good complaint here. ;)

UConn needs the on campus stadium for the program, the on campus stadium will be built.
You could possibly be right but most likely not. Folks that continually dream of this should describe their logistics on the topic.

A) Maybe a map of where this sort of stadium could be built on campus.
B) Layout the parking situation which is presently not easy on campus. Where would parking for 40K plus be located?
C) That and the miles of road that would have to be widened to double lanes much to the disdain of the locals to handle traffic.
D) Last but not least, I truly love the passion some have to get the football team on campus. But as a season ticket holder from the start at the Rent I proffer to tailgate for 3+ hours in East Hartford rather than sitting in traffic in Storrs for who knows how long.

Reaction Score
Well because most of those commenting have never been to the campus or absolutely no concept of the infrastructure situation. You have a good complaint here. ;)

You could possibly be right but most likely not. Folks that continually dream of this should describe their logistics on the topic.

A) Maybe a map of where this sort of stadium could be built on campus.
B) Layout the parking situation which is presently not easy on campus. Where would parking for 40K plus be located?
C) That and the miles of road that would have to be widened to double lanes much to the disdain of the locals to handle traffic.
D) Last but not least, I truly love the passion some have to get the football team on campus. But as a season ticket holder from the start at the Rent I proffer to tailgate for 3+ hours in East Hartford rather than sitting in traffic in Storrs for who knows how long.
Just wanted to point out that there already is parking for the at least 20,000 plus that already live, work, or go to school on campus. Those people would just walk to the stadium. Both you and the other on campus stadium complainers are so self-centered it’s laughable. The world does not revolve around 3, 4 or 5000 season ticket holders. If you don’t like it stay home and watch it on tv. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Just wanted to point out that there already is parking for the at least 20,000 plus that already live, work, or go to school on campus. Those people would just walk to the stadium. Both you and the other on campus stadium complainers are so self-centered it’s laughable. The world does not revolve around 3, 4 or 5000 season ticket holders. If you don’t like it stay home and watch it on tv. :rolleyes:
You never been to a well-attended football game or any football game on campus? Are you implying the entire Storrs community gives a about football?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
……….or 4 or 5 times, if they decide to play one or two home games at the Rent.
Ye, lets bond 300 miilion for an on campus stadium and play 2 games in East Hartford. That will fly through the state legislative process,

Reaction Score
If Mansfield stop being populated with NIMBYs, maybe. However, what should we do with The Rent? Should we give it to Goodwin or should we tear it down? I'm not sure if it should be torn down. Maybe if Hartford gets a UFL team (rumored) maybe it would be nice to get an on campus stadium.
Give it to Hartford FC

Reaction Score
Ok enough of the on campus football stadium. Here is a compromise. Build on the UConn campus at Waterbury. It’s on campus. It is serviced by 2 major highways. You can buy the Waterbury green. Fairfield fans will be be an hour closer without going thru New Haven and Hartford. People west of the Connecticut river will be happy

Reaction Score
You never been to a well-attended football game or any football game on campus? Are you implying the entire Storrs community gives a about football?
For real. I would guess that the best solution would be a large ramp garage and smaller sized parking lot.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Thank you...I get the Alum who want to relive an on campus trip in the fall but 80% of the fans I've tailgated with, meet or brought to Uconn games over 30 plus years as a donor and season TX holder are CT sports fan in general not Uconn grads. Who like Uconn, enjoy the games but can care less about on campus. Uconn's been an off campus, entire state supported "franchise" with more Hartford than Storrs season ticket holders for close to 50 years. Just look at Hockey everyone screamed about an on campus arena. Well they got it, lost half the hockey fan base, and now the shinny new place and the mediocre coach have turned it into an on campus morgue. # Winning period !
Questionable design choices hurt the the experience at Toscano. Hopefully, the AD will correct some of them in off season. I'm not sure who thought putting a concrete block house in the middle of the stands was a good idea. It takes up valuable seats and obscures the views of the ones it leaves. Similarly, the ice level lounge break up the bowl. That may work in larger areas but, again it's taking up valuable real estate that could be seats.

For what it's worth, I love how there is a group of posters who post how it impossible to build a stadium on campus, in pretty much every thread, and they're the same group of posters who complain when people reply to their posts to dispel the myths about building on campus that they try to propagate.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
A) Maybe a map of where this sort of stadium could be built on campus
It's been talked about a lot, and I suspect most people know what the sites are, but since you asked for a map:
IMG_6140.jpeg

See the map above. There is more than enough room for "parking for 40,000+" at any of the sites.
The vast majority of college football stadiums across the country don't have limited access highways that end up at the front gate. The notion that the state of Connecticut needs to undergo a massive infrastructure project for six weekends a year (occasionally, seven, apparently) is silly. Tailgating will feather the traffic coming in and out of the stadium, just as it does for the vast majority of colleges that play football across the country. Similarly, intelligent traffic management goes along way to moving people out at the end of games. For example, Rutgers uses police to give exiting traffic the right of way and selectively changes roads to one way in order to facilitate emptying their stadium.
i'm fairly confident if you "tailgate in Storrs for 3+ hours" you won't be sitting in traffic either. That's kind of the point.

CL82

Reaction Score
The football program seems haunted enough… do you really think it’s a good idea to build a stadium over a cemetery? ;)

View attachment 101625
Pssh, yeah! It's not like the current residents are going to complain.

(I've posted that picture here a bunch of times, even after I noticed I had missed Discovery Drive by a bit and have been waiting for this comment since then. :))

Edit:
Alright, here's the long overdue updated version:
IMG_2941.jpeg

CL82

Reaction Score
what's all this "give" talk? We have to rent the rent.

Reaction Score
Ok enough of the on campus football stadium. Here is a compromise. Build on the UConn campus at Waterbury. It’s on campus. It is serviced by 2 major highways. You can buy the Waterbury green. Fairfield fans will be be an hour closer without going thru New Haven and Hartford. People west of the Connecticut river will be happy
Why not build it in Rhode Island right on 95? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Rentschler Field isn't going to be "given" (or assigned) to Hartford FC, Hartford Athletic (which plays in another CRDA managed facility, Dillon Stadium), CCSU or any other entity. The fact is it loses money by opening its doors to less than 20,000 fans (not just tickets sold, but butts in seats to account for the concessions and parking revenue). UConn is required to pay $172k per game plus $3/ticket AND cover up to $250k in losses by the facility (the state picks up the tab for the rest of the losses). The only team in the state that has demonstrated the capability of reaching that mark consistently is UConn Football (albeit about a decade ago at this point). If UConn Football leaves as a tenant, Rentschler Field ceases to be viable and will likely be demolished (the other possible teams wouldn't be able to afford similar lease terms anyways).

Reaction Score
Rentschler Field isn't going to be "given" (or assigned) to Hartford FC, Hartford Athletic (which plays in another CRDA managed facility, Dillon Stadium), CCSU or any other entity. The fact is it loses money by opening its doors to less than 20,000 fans (not just tickets sold, but butts in seats to account for the concessions and parking revenue). UConn is required to pay $172k per game plus $3/ticket AND cover up to $250k in losses by the facility (the state picks up the tab for the rest of the losses). The only team in the state that has demonstrated the capability of reaching that mark consistently is UConn Football (albeit about a decade ago at this point). If UConn Football leaves as a tenant, Rentschler Field ceases to be viable and will likely be demolished (the other possible teams wouldn't be able to afford similar lease terms anyways).
Yup...plug & play (no pun intended). East Hartford Logistics & Technology Park at Rentschler Field

CL82

Reaction Score
I think you are referencing this article:

If so, I think you are misread it a bit.

The $172000 +3 dollar surcharge appears to be the old number, since after negotiation UConn is going to spend an estimated 2.7 million a year to play at the Rent.
IMG_2942.jpeg

Also the 20,000 through the gate breakeven figure is the number the DRA estimates that UConn needs to to break even under the new lease deal.

IMG_2943.jpeg

Finally the $250,000 "loss reimbursement" figure is an annual figure, not a per game figure.

I have no idea what breakeven would be for the facility if it were not being managed by the CDRA. They notoriously haven't been able to make a profit out of any venture they've undertaken. Keep in mind that other potential owners might be able to use the site for more than six football games a year. Extra uses means that the amount that needs to be made on a per use basis to cover carrying costs would be lower.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom